Suspend mode on laptops

doublu
I appreciate the macppc port of OpenBSD.

Why is there no suspend mode on laptops?

1) Not enough hardware documentation
2) Developers/users don't care
3) No human resources
4) Something else (please specify)

What is the most likely way to get it?

1) Hardware donation
2) $$$ donation (now much?)
3) Some motivated guy without prior experience in kernel-land
implements it
4) Something else (please specify)

Re: Suspend mode on laptops

Matthieu Herrb
On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 12:02:45PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> I appreciate the macppc port of OpenBSD.
>
> Why is there no suspend mode on laptops?
>
> 1) Not enough hardware documentation
> 2) Developers/users don't care
> 3) No human resources
> 4) Something else (please specify)

A mix of 1, 2 and 3.

> What is the most likely way to get it?
>
> 1) Hardware donation
> 2) $$$ donation (now much?)
> 3) Some motivated guy without prior experience in kernel-land
> implements it
> 4) Something else (please specify)

Probably 3, or 4) a guy with enough experience of macppc hardware and
kernel suspend/resume framework implements it.

Personnaly I lost interest on this topic. the batteries of my iBook
are all too weak to continue using it in a way where suspend/resume
would be useful.
Matthieu Herrb

Re: Suspend mode on laptops

doublu
On Sep 4, 2012, at 1:25 PM, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 12:02:45PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I appreciate the macppc port of OpenBSD.
>>
>> Why is there no suspend mode on laptops?
>>
>> 1) Not enough hardware documentation
>> 2) Developers/users don't care
>> 3) No human resources
>> 4) Something else (please specify)
>>

> A mix of 1, 2 and 3.

thx.

>> What is the most likely way to get it?
>>
>> 1) Hardware donation
>> 2) $$$ donation (now much?)
>> 3) Some motivated guy without prior experience in kernel-land
>> implements it
>> 4) Something else (please specify)
>>

> Probably 3, or 4) a guy with enough experience of macppc hardware and
> kernel suspend/resume framework implements it.

thx.
I could donate hardware/money but to find a motivated guy as in (4)
sounds really hard.

I've downloaded the xnu kernel from opensource.apple.com to see how
Apple implemented this. A grep for "suspend" gave quite a few results
but at I couldn't tell which code is responsible for suspending
processes and which for suspending the hardware yet.

The zaurus apm manual says:

> The apm driver provides an interface which simulates the Advanced
> Power Management (APM) BIOS functions.

Does that mean on powerpc the kernel needs to call openfirmware
functions to suspend the machine?

Is there more information about the suspend/resume framework except
the corresponding source code of other platforms, e.g. zaurus?
I couldn't find anything that goes beyond this:
http://www.bsdcan.org/2009/schedule/events/131.en.html

> Personnaly I lost interest on this topic. the batteries of my iBook
> are all too weak to continue using it in a way where suspend/resume
> would be useful.

You can repack the battery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKyhNkQzE5E.
Complete shutdown/restart is a pain IMO: wait n minutes until system
goes up; navigate to the right directory; open files associated with
your last project etc.
Just closing the lid and opening it later is a satisfaction compared
to the steps described above.

Regards,
Double You