Suspend and Resume Support?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suspend and Resume Support?

Patrick Simmons
Hi,

I can't find from the available documentation whether OpenBSD supports
suspend and resume (either hardware or software) on SPARC.  Can you let
me know?

Thanks,
--Patrick

--
If I'm not here, I've gone out to find myself.  If I get back before I
return, please keep me here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend and Resume Support?

Theo de Raadt
> I can't find from the available documentation whether OpenBSD supports
> suspend and resume (either hardware or software) on SPARC.  Can you let
> me know?

Nope.

Mike Larkin is working on i386 (then amd64) hibernate support
(ie. suspend to disk, and resume).  This code could be leveraged later
on for other architectures.

We don't have any documentation for how the Tadpoles suspended.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend and Resume Support?

Sevan / Venture37-2
On 27 May 2011 03:57, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I can't find from the available documentation whether OpenBSD supports
>> suspend and resume (either hardware or software) on SPARC. B Can you let
>> me know?
>
> Nope.
>
> Mike Larkin is working on i386 (then amd64) hibernate support
> (ie. suspend to disk, and resume). B This code could be leveraged later
> on for other architectures.
>
> We don't have any documentation for how the Tadpoles suspended.

I seem to remember there was an option for activating powersaving mode
on sun workstations when installing solaris, is this also a different
kettle of fish which is lacking any publicly available documentation??

Sevan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend and Resume Support?

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 12:48:28 +0100
> From: "Sevan / Venture37" <[hidden email]>
>
> On 27 May 2011 03:57, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I can't find from the available documentation whether OpenBSD supports
> >> suspend and resume (either hardware or software) on SPARC. B Can you let
> >> me know?
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > Mike Larkin is working on i386 (then amd64) hibernate support
> > (ie. suspend to disk, and resume). B This code could be leveraged later
> > on for other architectures.
> >
> > We don't have any documentation for how the Tadpoles suspended.
>
> I seem to remember there was an option for activating powersaving mode
> on sun workstations when installing solaris, is this also a different
> kettle of fish which is lacking any publicly available documentation??

It is somewhat implemented for the UltraSPARC IIi workstations (and
laptops).  These will change the CPU frequency based on hw.setperf,
much like people are used to on i386/amd64.  Supposedly this saves
some power, but I've never done measurements.  Judging from the
OpenSolaris code there is more stuff that can be done, but there is no
proper documentation.

For the UltraSPARC III/IIIi based machines I never got the CPU
frequency scaling to work; it seems to need some machine-specific
magic.  Again there are hints in the OpenSolaris code, and some hints
in various docs, but it will probably need a lot of experimentation to
figure out the complete picture.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend and Resume Support?

Christian Weisgerber
Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is somewhat implemented for the UltraSPARC IIi workstations (and
> laptops).  These will change the CPU frequency based on hw.setperf,
> much like people are used to on i386/amd64.  Supposedly this saves
> some power, but I've never done measurements.

I measured my loaded Blade 100 at ~60 W when running at 500 MHz,
and about 10 W less when clocked down to 1/6 speed.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]