Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

GREen MOnster Games
Hi . I have one big ask about the ARM's support. I have one little
device with ARM9T with ARMv4T architecture.

I want install the fresh OpenBSD release on this one. But I don't
understand with thos documentations if armish includes this cpu.

I have founded some good information about ARM9T, but only the set of
instructions and something like that. For example from ARMv5 to next
generation I can found the specific release, but for my ARMv4T is just
a little difficult.

Well, ASK ---> Someone has some better information about them, support
and installation ???

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Mike from Green Monster Games

Re: Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:38:58AM +0100, GREen MOnster Games wrote:

> Hi . I have one big ask about the ARM's support. I have one little
> device with ARM9T with ARMv4T architecture.
>
> I want install the fresh OpenBSD release on this one. But I don't
> understand with thos documentations if armish includes this cpu.
>
> I have founded some good information about ARM9T, but only the set of
> instructions and something like that. For example from ARMv5 to next
> generation I can found the specific release, but for my ARMv4T is just
> a little difficult.
>
> Well, ASK ---> Someone has some better information about them, support
> and installation ???

armish is not supported anymore. We only have support for ARMv7 SoC.

https://www.openbsd.org/armv7.html

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

GREen MOnster Games
> armish is not supported anymore. We only have support for ARMv7 SoC.

That's the bad information. It's not ARMv7 SoC but ARMv4T. If the
armish supports them, I can install also the older release.

But I have not more information about the armish.

Re: Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

Janne Johansson-3
There is a lot more to supporting a computer architecture than just the
actual CPU. Yes, the cpu must of course have support, but all the chips
around it for disk,console,net and how to find where in RAM they are mapped
and so on is equally important, so if your device isn't on this list,
https://www.openbsd.org/armish.html, then chances are basically zero that
it will work.

[hidden email]>:

> > armish is not supported anymore. We only have support for ARMv7 SoC.
> >

> That's the bad information. It's not ARMv7 SoC but ARMv4T. If the
> armish supports them, I can install also the older release.
>
> But I have not more information about the armish.

Re: Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

GREen MOnster Games
> There is a lot more to supporting a computer architecture than just the
> actual CPU.

Yes It's the start to begin, but It's not all, of course.

> Yes, the cpu must of course have support, but all the chips
> around it for disk,console,net and how to find where in RAM they are mapped
> and so on is equally important, so if your device isn't on this list,

I have all about the hw information, sdram 64 mb with 48.9 mb user
accessible, eeprom nor, vfat16 for the memory, consolle too. Probabily
I can try to connect the usb to make a cross compiling into them, I
think it's the better solution, maybe with Uboot or Redboot to start.
I have the problem to see how mbyte can I flashing into the eeprom,
128 mbyte non volatile with 51 mb free user storage, but those are not
all to flashing. The big problem are the firmware, armish has the
instructions for ARMv4T but the wifi and videocard firwmare I think
it's a proble.

eeprom: I think are 77 mb dedicated to flashing (NOR)
ram: sdram 64 mbyte with first vector 0x00000000

Graphical Controller:  ATI Imageon 2282 ( Maybe I can modify the the
file config from xenocara)
Audio Controller:  Asahi Kasei AK4641 ( I don't know if it is supported)

Wifi controller: unknown IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g (????)

> https://www.openbsd.org/armish.html, then chances are basically zero that it
> will work.

Re: Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

Rob Sciuk

From the OpenBSD 6.0 announcement in OpenBSD Journal:

----------------
ARMv7 improvements. Much work has been going into the ARM area since 5.9
came out, and those changes are finally trickling down to the -release
branch. All newer arm platforms have been switched to an EFI + bootloader
mechanism that works just like amd64. A Flattened Device Tree (FDT) is now
used for device discovery, resulting in many arm boards being supported
rapidly. Development of this platform is ongoing even now, so if you're an
ARM fan, be sure to watch this space closely.
----------------

Device trees are the solution to the multiplicity of Arm designs.  If one
board is similar to another, you can make mods to a previous design's FDT,
and remove the parts which aren't compatible.  Not a panacea, of course,
but a better way to support Arm/PPC and other embedded designs than board
files.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Robert Sciuk                                                          [hidden email]
Wellesley, ON. N0B 2T0

On 2017/02/24 17:21, GREen MOnster Games wrote:

> > There is a lot more to supporting a computer architecture than just the
> > actual CPU.
>
> Yes It's the start to begin, but It's not all, of course.
>
> > Yes, the cpu must of course have support, but all the chips
> > around it for disk,console,net and how to find where in RAM they are mapped
> > and so on is equally important, so if your device isn't on this list,
>
> I have all about the hw information, sdram 64 mb with 48.9 mb user
> accessible, eeprom nor, vfat16 for the memory, consolle too. Probabily
> I can try to connect the usb to make a cross compiling into them, I
> think it's the better solution, maybe with Uboot or Redboot to start.
> I have the problem to see how mbyte can I flashing into the eeprom,
> 128 mbyte non volatile with 51 mb free user storage, but those are not
> all to flashing. The big problem are the firmware, armish has the
> instructions for ARMv4T but the wifi and videocard firwmare I think
> it's a proble.
>
> eeprom: I think are 77 mb dedicated to flashing (NOR)
> ram: sdram 64 mbyte with first vector 0x00000000
>
> Graphical Controller:  ATI Imageon 2282 ( Maybe I can modify the the
> file config from xenocara)
> Audio Controller:  Asahi Kasei AK4641 ( I don't know if it is supported)
>
> Wifi controller: unknown IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g (????)
>

> > https://www.openbsd.org/armish.html, then chances are basically zero that it
> > will work.

armish is XScale 80219, ARMv5TE. Newer and faster than this, but even so,
a full ports build on the thecus n2100 armish box took around 3 months
when I last did one.

Take a look at the commit log in the armv7 directories to get some kind
of idea of the work involved in bringing up an architecture based on
an existing similar-ish one. Though what you don't see there is the
amount of work actually involved in reading specs, other code, reverse
engineering, talking, debugging that goes into writing each diff.

The developers who can do that are mostly looking at armv7 and
particularly arm64 at the moment, where there is still a lot to be done.
Honestly I don't think any are going to put in time to support a machine
which is less useful than the zaurus unless there's something they find
particularly interesting about it..

Re: Support for ARM9T --- ARMv4T family architecture

GREen MOnster Games
> armish is XScale 80219, ARMv5TE. Newer and faster than this, but even so,
> a full ports build on the thecus n2100 armish box took around 3 months
> when I last did one.

About my device it's really interesting, because support to the XScale
but with ARMv4T instructions

> Take a look at the commit log in the armv7 directories to get some kind
> of idea of the work involved in bringing up an architecture based on
> an existing similar-ish one.

The commit log from github?

>Though what you don't see there is the
> amount of work actually involved in reading specs, other code, reverse
> engineering, talking, debugging that goes into writing each diff.

I know, in this moment I try to find more technics information. I have
too watched the codes about the instructions from Android, but If Can
I add the support from OpenBSD about this device for me It's better.

> The developers who can do that are mostly looking at armv7 and
> particularly arm64 at the moment, where there is still a lot to be done.
> Honestly I don't think any are going to put in time to support a machine
> which is less useful than the zaurus unless there's something they find
> particularly interesting about it..

I know now the focus are the new armv7's generations, but my
philosophy is to recycle the old from trashware culture with free
software. Now I want see the source of armish to verify how many parts
of codes It's need to modify to support the ARMV4T. But thanks to
reply, every information can be useful.

Mike from Green Monster Games