SunBlade 2500 Silver no video or serial console

SunBlade 2500 Silver no video or serial console

Kent R. Spillner-2
I have no prior experience with Sparc (or Sun hardware in general) but I recently purchased a used Sun Blade 2500 Silver on eBay, and would like to run OpenBSD on it.  It has dual UltraSparc III 1.6GHz (I think) processors, 8GB RAM, and two 146Gb drives.  I don't know what kind of PCI video card it came with, but it was in PCI slot 0 and only has a single VGA port.  It also came with a sound card in PCI slot 6 and a FireWire/USB card in slot 5.

The machine powers on fine, LEDs light up, fans start spinning, I can open the DVD tray, but there's no output on the video console.

I connected an amd64 laptop running -current to the serial port, but there's no output on the serial console either (running cu with a USB serial adapter and a female-to-female null modem).  Also, I noticed 3-4 faint clicking sounds a few seconds after powering it on, but other than the fans that is the only sound.

I already tried reseating the video card, I peeked under the RAM shroud and verified the DIMMs are all secured, and I reseated both CPUs.  It appeared one of the CPUs was loose, and the heat sink on the other CPU was loose, so I cleaned both heat sinks, reapplied some thermal paste and reseated both CPUs.  There's still no video or serial output.

I realize this is incredibly vague, and not necessarily on-topic for the list, but if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd be extremely grateful.

Re: SunBlade 2500 Silver no video or serial console

Paolo Aglialoro
It could be either a fried motherboard or something due to humidity: time
ago i had stored a blade 150 in a very humid place and had similar problems.

Solution was passing absorbent paper on all motherboard+cards+ram places,
spraying with deoxidant spray and then, after a while, drying up gently
with a hair dryer.

Then the 150 came back up :)))
Good luck!
Il 25/gen/2014 00:04 "Kent R. Spillner" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> I have no prior experience with Sparc (or Sun hardware in general) but I
> recently purchased a used Sun Blade 2500 Silver on eBay, and would like to
> run OpenBSD on it.  It has dual UltraSparc III 1.6GHz (I think) processors,
> 8GB RAM, and two 146Gb drives.  I don't know what kind of PCI video card it
> came with, but it was in PCI slot 0 and only has a single VGA port.  It
> also came with a sound card in PCI slot 6 and a FireWire/USB card in slot 5.
>
> The machine powers on fine, LEDs light up, fans start spinning, I can open
> the DVD tray, but there's no output on the video console.
>
> I connected an amd64 laptop running -current to the serial port, but
> there's no output on the serial console either (running cu with a USB
> serial adapter and a female-to-female null modem).  Also, I noticed 3-4
> faint clicking sounds a few seconds after powering it on, but other than
> the fans that is the only sound.
>
> I already tried reseating the video card, I peeked under the RAM shroud
> and verified the DIMMs are all secured, and I reseated both CPUs.  It
> appeared one of the CPUs was loose, and the heat sink on the other CPU was
> loose, so I cleaned both heat sinks, reapplied some thermal paste and
> reseated both CPUs.  There's still no video or serial output.
>
> I realize this is incredibly vague, and not necessarily on-topic for the
> list, but if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd be extremely grateful.

Re: SunBlade 2500 Silver no video or serial console

Dag Richards
I bought one of these units a couple years ago, and had a similar
experience ... minus the faint clicks, I think.

The nvram should display on the console if the unit booting.
Usually the console is  redirected to the display adapter, and frankly I
am fuzzy about the interaction there.

In my case one CPU was loose, as I recall I had to dinkle with a bit.

Make sure your serial connection is set to 9600 8 0 and lets FORCE any
out put to the serial console.

Try removing the display adapter, reseat all the RAM, and remove CPU1.

Attach the console and power up the unit, look for out put on the
console.  If you don't see anything swap  the CPU's.  So  that you have
one CPU in socket 0.

If you still get nothing then I think you should notify the units next
of kin.

I also have some vague memory of the usb port used by the keyboard to
have some significance.  So while you are trying to console to it dont
have one.  If you are trying to use the display for the console make
sure you have Sun keyboard in one of the four ports on the back of  the
unit.

Kent R. Spillner wrote:
> I have no prior experience with Sparc (or Sun hardware in general) but I recently purchased a used Sun Blade 2500 Silver on eBay, and would like to run OpenBSD on it.  It has dual UltraSparc III 1.6GHz (I think) processors, 8GB RAM, and two 146Gb drives.  I don't know what kind of PCI video card it came with, but it was in PCI slot 0 and only has a single VGA port.  It also came with a sound card in PCI slot 6 and a FireWire/USB card in slot 5.
>
> The machine powers on fine, LEDs light up, fans start spinning, I can open the DVD tray, but there's no output on the video console.
>
> I connected an amd64 laptop running -current to the serial port, but there's no output on the serial console either (running cu with a USB serial adapter and a female-to-female null modem).  Also, I noticed 3-4 faint clicking sounds a few seconds after powering it on, but other than the fans that is the only sound.
>
> I already tried reseating the video card, I peeked under the RAM shroud and verified the DIMMs are all secured, and I reseated both CPUs.  It appeared one of the CPUs was loose, and the heat sink on the other CPU was loose, so I cleaned both heat sinks, reapplied some thermal paste and reseated both CPUs.  There's still no video or serial output.
>
> I realize this is incredibly vague, and not necessarily on-topic for the list, but if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd be extremely grateful.

Re: SunBlade 2500 Silver no video or serial console

Kent R. Spillner-2
Thanks to a tip from ian@ I *un*plugged my USB keyboard and now I'm seeing
output on the serial console!  I'd also like to thank Daniel Dickman for
replying to me off-list with some suggestions as well.

I'll continue playing with this until I get sparc64-current installed and share
my dmesg with the list.  :)