Sun V240 will not boot with generic ati video

Sun V240 will not boot with generic ati video

David Savolainen
Hello,
I tried to post this at [hidden email], but it bounced, or rather didn't go through at all so I apologize in advance.
I was hoping to get decent video (any video at all actually) on my V240 since my XVR-600 was not displaying anything at all despite everything appearing to work. I installed a 32 bit ATI Radeon 3450 graphics, which should be supported by OpenBSD in general, unsure about in sparc64 though. I get this error on boot:

pci4 at ppb0 bus 1
radeondrm0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCI" rev 0x00
drm0 at radeondrm0
radeondrm0: ivec 0x744
schizo3: pci bus B error
PCIAFSR=2080000020000000<PRTRY,SRTRY,MEM>
PCIAFAR=100004c0
PCICTRL=20710a2cff<RTRY,MMU_INT,EEN>
PCICSR=2a00146<MEM,MASTER,PARITY,SERR,CLK66,BACK2BACK_STAT,DEVSEL_MEDIUM>
panic: schizo3: fatal
SERROR: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss

{0} ok

There is no other card in this machine, only the graphics card. Is this card not electrically compatible with the v240? Is my V240 broken? Is support for this chipset not included in sparc64? Is there a bug?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-- David Savolainen

Re: Sun V240 will not boot with generic ati video

Patrick Harper
GPU's firmware won't work with the system firmware, which uses openfirmware and not a BIOS/UEFI.

You could source a Sun XVR-300, which is a version of the ATI FireMV 2200 PCIe loaded with appropriate firmware for your system.

--
  Patrick Harper
  [hidden email]

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020, at 16:46, David Savolainen wrote:

> Hello,
> I tried to post this at [hidden email], but it bounced, or rather
> didn't go through at all so I apologize in advance.
> I was hoping to get decent video (any video at all actually) on my V240
> since my XVR-600 was not displaying anything at all despite everything
> appearing to work. I installed a 32 bit ATI Radeon 3450 graphics, which
> should be supported by OpenBSD in general, unsure about in sparc64
> though. I get this error on boot:
>
> pci4 at ppb0 bus 1
> radeondrm0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCI" rev 0x00
> drm0 at radeondrm0
> radeondrm0: ivec 0x744
> schizo3: pci bus B error
> PCIAFSR=2080000020000000<PRTRY,SRTRY,MEM>
> PCIAFAR=100004c0
> PCICTRL=20710a2cff<RTRY,MMU_INT,EEN>
> PCICSR=2a00146<MEM,MASTER,PARITY,SERR,CLK66,BACK2BACK_STAT,DEVSEL_MEDIUM>
> panic: schizo3: fatal
> SERROR: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss
>
> {0} ok
>
> There is no other card in this machine, only the graphics card. Is this
> card not electrically compatible with the v240? Is my V240 broken? Is
> support for this chipset not included in sparc64? Is there a bug?
>
> Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
>

> -- David Savolainen

Re: Sun V240 will not boot with generic ati video

David Savolainen
Patrick,
Thanks for the insight.  I was wondering if something like this might be
the case.  Unfortunately, a V240 is too old to have PCIe slots.  I am
stuck with XVR-600 (what I have, known to work, but outputs no video at
all for some reason in openbsd) and similar wildcat based cards that are
not well supported - unaccelerated 8 bit color.  Pity.

On 2/21/20 12:37 PM, Patrick Harper wrote:
> GPU's firmware won't work with the system firmware, which uses openfirmware and not a BIOS/UEFI.
>
> You could source a Sun XVR-300, which is a version of the ATI FireMV 2200 PCIe loaded with appropriate firmware for your system.

Re: Sun V240 will not boot with generic ati video

Jonathan Gray-11
xvr-100 is listed as being supported in v240 in old sun docs.

It is a radeon rv100 class card with fcode.

kettenis@ made radeondrm(4) work on xvr-100 some time ago before the
last major drm update.  I'm not sure what the current state is.