Suitability Question

Dave
Good Evening All,

A business associate of mine recommends OpenBSD over FreeBSD. In my
experience the FreeBSD ports have degraded significantly in quality the
last 1-2 years and I've become frustrated as a result.

FreeBSD (rev 10.*) was a stable platform for me. It's just that the
ports have lost their quality. I started spending more time fixing,
rather than using my system, regardless if the port was precompiled or
built from source. I need a stable development (C/C++)  system that can
also do well in multimedia. I also have significant hearing loss from an
old military injury (mortar attack). I used the parametric equalizer
under FreeBSD to tweak the sound output so I could understand things
that were spoken in online videos. Now that I have retired, I spend a
lot of time on YouTube, Hulu, and occasionally NetFlix, yet I still do
side-projects that involve video editing and software development.

I went to FreeBSD when 10.0 came out due to Linux' systemd debacle.
Linux is no longer an option since systemd.  I have had way too many
problems with it. I will no longer fight with/use it.

I have changed out my NVidia GTX-660 GPU to a AMD RX 480 GPU. I know
that NVidia is not a friend of Linux, and especially the BSD's.

I am not asking the community to comment about my hardware, I've already
done my homework. I see the ports that I need in the ports tree of
OpenBSD, so I know that the software I need is there. What I am asking
the community for, are comments on the suitability of OpenBSD for my
usage paradigms.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Re: Suitability Question

STeve Andre'
On 11/10/16 22:19, Dave wrote:

> Good Evening All,
>
> A business associate of mine recommends OpenBSD over FreeBSD. In my
> experience the FreeBSD ports have degraded significantly in quality the
> last 1-2 years and I've become frustrated as a result.
>
> FreeBSD (rev 10.*) was a stable platform for me. It's just that the
> ports have lost their quality. I started spending more time fixing,
> rather than using my system, regardless if the port was precompiled or
> built from source. I need a stable development (C/C++)  system that can
> also do well in multimedia. I also have significant hearing loss from an
> old military injury (mortar attack). I used the parametric equalizer
> under FreeBSD to tweak the sound output so I could understand things
> that were spoken in online videos. Now that I have retired, I spend a
> lot of time on YouTube, Hulu, and occasionally NetFlix, yet I still do
> side-projects that involve video editing and software development.
>
> I went to FreeBSD when 10.0 came out due to Linux' systemd debacle.
> Linux is no longer an option since systemd.  I have had way too many
> problems with it. I will no longer fight with/use it.
>
> I have changed out my NVidia GTX-660 GPU to a AMD RX 480 GPU. I know
> that NVidia is not a friend of Linux, and especially the BSD's.
>
> I am not asking the community to comment about my hardware, I've already
> done my homework. I see the ports that I need in the ports tree of
> OpenBSD, so I know that the software I need is there. What I am asking
> the community for, are comments on the suitability of OpenBSD for my
> usage paradigms.
>
> Sincerely and respectfully,
>
> Dave

Really, you are the only one who can determine if the ports here will
work for you.  I'd set up a machine, probably -current, and start
testing.  I'm not familiar with doing Hulu or Netflix on OpenBSD so if
you do that, let misc@ know.  Usage adapted for your hearing loss
would be good to talk of, too.

--STeve Andre'

Re: Suitability Question

Super Bisquit
Two different systems and two different cultures. If you have two machines,
try using both FreeBSD and OpenBSD together in a personal set up of sorts.