Success!!

Wayne M. Scace
       *YES!!!!
I've got OpenBSD 4.5 installed on an older box that is earmarked as a
Firewall/NAT box.  I've added a regular user account and pkg_add'd some
packages of CLI apps that I prefer to use.  I must say, the install
process was a LOT less painful than the last time I attempted to tinker
with OpenBSD.
    Have a great weekend!!

Sincerely and Respectfully Yours,

Wayne M. Scace
*

Re: Success!!

Nick Guenther
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Wayne M. Scace<[hidden email]> wrote:

>      *YES!!!!
> I've got OpenBSD 4.5 installed on an older box that is earmarked as a
> Firewall/NAT box.  I've added a regular user account and pkg_add'd some
> packages of CLI apps that I prefer to use.  I must say, the install process
> was a LOT less painful than the last time I attempted to tinker with
> OpenBSD.
>   Have a great weekend!!
>
> Sincerely and Respectfully Yours,

Cool! What's the box (dmesg?)? Is it cheap? Is it fast? I have a
WRT-DD install but it always lags out my connections for some reason
(perhaps because the NAT is full) and I would like to be able to run
OpenBSD on it so I could actually tweak things.

-Nick

Re: Success!!

On 2009-07-10, Wayne M. Scace <[hidden email]> wrote:
>        *YES!!!!
> I've got OpenBSD 4.5 installed on an older box that is earmarked as a
> Firewall/NAT box.  I've added a regular user account and pkg_add'd some
> packages of CLI apps that I prefer to use.  I must say, the install
> process was a LOT less painful than the last time I attempted to tinker
> with OpenBSD.

most people who have tried the -current installer are highly reluctant
to go back to the 4.5 installer...

Re: Success!!

Bryan Brake
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:51, Stuart Henderson<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2009-07-10, Wayne M. Scace <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> B  B  B  B *YES!!!!
>> I've got OpenBSD 4.5 installed on an older box that is earmarked as a
>> Firewall/NAT box. B I've added a regular user account and pkg_add'd some
>> packages of CLI apps that I prefer to use. B I must say, the install
>> process was a LOT less painful than the last time I attempted to tinker
>> with OpenBSD.
>
> most people who have tried the -current installer are highly reluctant
> to go back to the 4.5 installer...

The first couple of times, I fell victim to the "failure to name
slices" issue.  I took a breath, did the "help" on disklabel, found
the "n" command, and was good to go.  It really is a faster, easier (I
did not believe that was possible) install.  I do appreciate the
ability to create users, and to shut off SSH access to root
immediately.  All the more secure at the offing...

dmesg ?

Wayne M. Scace
Nick Guenther wrote:
Cool! What's the box (dmesg?)? Is it cheap? Is it fast? I have a
WRT-DD install but it always lags out my connections for some reason
(perhaps because the NAT is full) and I would like to be able to run
OpenBSD on it so I could actually tweak things.
-Nick
       *Hi Nick, is this what you were asking about?  Or do you need the
whole dump?

Wayne.
=============
OpenBSD 4.5 (GENERIC) #1749: Sat Feb 28 14:51:18 MST 2009
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 498 MHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MM$
real mem  = 66662400 (63MB)
avail mem = 55144448 (52MB)

*

Re: Success!!

Wayne M. Scace
Stuart Henderson wrote:
> most people who have tried the -current installer are highly reluctant
> to go back to the 4.5 installer...

       *Hello Stuart,
This was my first attempt at installing/using OpenBSD since a couple of
years back.  I'll admit it took me a few tries to get the disklabel
figured out, but I kept at it and finally nailed it.  My current project
on the box is to try and figure out how to get cvs to work so I can get
the ports tree installed.  I'll keep working at it until I get it... LOL

Wayne*

Re: dmesg ?

Eugene Yunak
2009/7/10 Wayne M. Scace <[hidden email]>:
> Nick Guenther wrote:
> Cool! What's the box (dmesg?)? Is it cheap? Is it fast? I have a
> WRT-DD install but it always lags out my connections for some reason
> (perhaps because the NAT is full) and I would like to be able to run
> OpenBSD on it so I could actually tweak things.
> -Nick
> B  B  B *Hi Nick, is this what you were asking about? B Or do you need the
whole
> dump?
>
> Wayne.
> =============
> OpenBSD 4.5 (GENERIC) #1749: Sat Feb 28 14:51:18 MST 2009
> B  [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 498 MHz
> cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MM$
> real mem B = 66662400 (63MB)
> avail mem = 55144448 (52MB)
>
> *

i believe he meant the whole dmesg dump.
can anyone enlighten me, whats so special about this device?
just an old pIII, used as router, as far as i get it...
or is it a highly specialized router platform?

--
The best the little guy can do is what
the little guy does right

Re: dmesg ?

Wayne M. Scace
??????? ???? wrote:
> i believe he meant the whole dmesg dump.
> can anyone enlighten me, whats so special about this device?
> just an old pIII, used as router, as far as i get it...
> or is it a highly specialized router platform?

* Hi,
As far as I know there's nothing too awfully special about the machine.
Except, perhaps that it's life is being extended by using a real
operating system on it and wiping out the windows virus that resided on
it's hard drive. Thereby keeping it out of a landfill until it dies a
natural death.

Wayne
*

dmesg, the whole enchilada

Wayne M. Scace
*       Hi Nick and the group, here's the whole dmesg dump.

Wayne
==============
OpenBSD 4.5 (GENERIC) #1749: Sat Feb 28 14:51:18 MST 2009
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 498 MHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,
MMX,FXSR,SSE
real mem  = 66662400 (63MB)
avail mem = 55144448 (52MB)
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 11/02/99, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xfd780,
SMBIOS rev. 2.1 @ 0xefca0 (49 entries)
bios0: vendor Intel Corp. version "4W4SB0X0.15A.0017.P12" date 12/21/1999
bios0: Gateway Tabor3 WS440BX
apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
acpi at bios0 function 0x0 not configured
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xfd780/0x880
pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xfdf10/208 (11 entries)
pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371FB ISA" rev 0x00)
pcibios0: PCI bus #1 is the last bus
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x10000 0xd0000/0x1800 0xe4000/0xc000
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82443BX AGP" rev 0x03
intelagp0 at pchb0
agp0 at intelagp0: aperture at 0xf8000000, size 0x4000000
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel 82443BX AGP" rev 0x03
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "NVIDIA Vanta" rev 0x15
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
piixpcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x02
pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
pciide0: channel 0 ignored (disabled)
atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <PIONEER, DVD-ROM DVD-114, 1.17> ATAPI 5
/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 9
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x02: SMI
iic0 at piixpm0
spdmem0 at iic0 addr 0x50: 64MB SDRAM non-parity PC100CL2
dc0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0 "Davicom DM9102" rev 0x40: irq 5, address
00:60:6e:75:ad:27
amphy0 at dc0 phy 1: DM9102 10/100 PHY, rev. 1
emu0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0 "Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live" rev 0x07:
 irq 11
ac97: codec id 0x83847609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
ac97: codec features 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, SigmaTel 3D
audio0 at emu0
"Creative Labs PCI Gameport Joystick" rev 0x07 at pci0 dev 14 function 1
not configured
pciide1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0 "Promise PDC20262" rev 0x01: DMA,
channel 0 configured to native-PCI, channel 1 configured to native-PCI
pciide1: using irq 10 for native-PCI interrupt
wd0 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0: <IBM-DPTA-372050>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 19574MB, 40088160 sectors
wd0(pciide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4
pciide1: channel 1 disabled (no drives)
"Conexant 56k Winmodem" rev 0x08 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 not configured
xl0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "3Com 3c905B 100Base-TX" rev 0x30: irq 5,
address 00:01:02:34:4f:a9
exphy0 at xl0 phy 24: 3Com internal media interface
isa0 at piixpcib0
isadma0 at isa0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
spkr0 at pcppi0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
biomask e74d netmask e76d ttymask f7ff
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
softraid0 at root
root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b

*

Re: dmesg, the whole enchilada

Stuart Henderson
On 2009-07-10, Wayne M. Scace <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *       Hi Nick and the group, here's the whole dmesg dump.
>
> dc0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0 "Davicom DM9102" rev 0x40: irq 5, address
> 00:60:6e:75:ad:27

those ...how shall I put it... aren't very friendly to other devices on the
bus. see near the bottom of dc(4) ('man 4 dc').

Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> dc0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0 "Davicom DM9102" rev 0x40: irq 5, address
>> 00:60:6e:75:ad:27
>>

> those ...how shall I put it... aren't very friendly to other devices on the
> bus. see near the bottom of dc(4) ('man 4 dc').

       Hi Stuart,
    Well, the dc0 is the 2nd NIC I installed onto the box and it's in
the only slot I could fit it into.
I might be able to put it into another slot if I pull out the modem
card, which might not be a bad idea as I
don't see this box being used to connect using ppp.

Re: dmesg, the whole enchilada

Bryan Steele-2
> Hi Stuart,
> Well, the dc0 is the 2nd NIC I installed onto the box and it's in the only slot I could fit it into.
> I might be able to put it into another slot if I pull out the modem card, which might not be a bad
> idea as I don't see this box being used to connect using ppp.

Hi,

If you read the man page as Stuart suggested, you would know that
placing the card into a different slot would not help at all.

"The Davicom interfaces require a grossly high PCI latency timer value to
function properly.  This means when a Davicom adapter is present in the
machine, it is given an unfairly high amount of bandwidth on the PCI bus,
unnecessarily taking time away from other devices.  Therefore, Davicom
network cards are not recommended for use with OpenBSD.  Be careful; some
motherboards have Davicom interfaces built-in."

Also, the modem in your system is a "Winmodem".. so even if you wanted
to use ppp/pppd, you couldn't.

-Brynet

Brynet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you read the man page as Stuart suggested, you would know that
> placing the card into a different slot would not help at all.
>
> "The Davicom interfaces require a grossly high PCI latency timer value to
> function properly.  This means when a Davicom adapter is present in the
> machine, it is given an unfairly high amount of bandwidth on the PCI bus,
> unnecessarily taking time away from other devices.  Therefore, Davicom
> network cards are not recommended for use with OpenBSD.  Be careful; some
> motherboards have Davicom interfaces built-in."
>
> Also, the modem in your system is a "Winmodem".. so even if you wanted
> to use ppp/pppd, you couldn't.
>
> -Brynet

          Hi Brynet,
    I did read the man page that Stuart suggested and I've, pulled out
the modem and the Davicom NIC.  I scavenged a
3Com card out of another box I had around and have headed off the
potential problem of the Davicom card.  Thank you
for pointing out what I had missed in my first read through of Stuart's
email.   Have a pleasant weekend.

Wayne