Quantcast

Strange characters in dmesg

Hrishikesh Murukkathampoondi
I see the following characters in dmesg.

"B\M-d\M^??B\M-d\M^??B\M-d\M^??B\M-d\M^??" - continues for several lines.

This appears just before the initial text "OpenBSD 6.0 (GENERIC)"

I am running OpenBSD 6.1 on a VM. I havent seen this on the VM or my local
machine before.

The system is running fine and there is no problem using it. But I want to
check if others have seen such characters in their dmesg and if it is
something to worry about.

Thanks
Hrishi

Re: Strange characters in dmesg

Ax0n
My vps at RamNode does this as well. It has ever since I moved there in
2015. It doesn't seem to cause any harm. I wasn't​ curious enough to run it
down to a root cause but if someone else knows, I'm interested in the story.