Sparc64 ATI cards

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sparc64 ATI cards

Edd Barrett
Hi,

From http://openbsd.org/sparc64.html:

---8<---
Only the ATI graphics adapters are supported with the accelerated
X.Org server at the current time
---8<---

Which ones are these? Does anyone know the part numbers / model names
of such cards?

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparc64 ATI cards

Edd Barrett
On 06/09/07, Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Which ones are these? Does anyone know the part numbers / model names
> of such cards?

Had I scrolled down, I could have answered my own question.

PGX based cards :)


--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparc64 ATI cards

Edd Barrett
Hi,

"ATI Rage (vgafb), includes the PGX and PGX24 on-board frame buffers"

Does that include PGX32 cards (X3668A-370-3753)?

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparc64 ATI cards

T. Ribbrock
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 01:52:20PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,

> "ATI Rage (vgafb), includes the PGX and PGX24 on-board frame buffers"

> Does that include PGX32 cards (X3668A-370-3753)?

AFAIR, the PGX32 (aka Raptor GFX 8P) is made by Tech-Source and not ATI
based, hence, I'd be surprised if the ATI driver supports it. Some time
back, I ran into the same under Linux/Sparc and the PGX32 was definitely
not supported by ATI drivers.

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
 ****** PLEASE: NO Cc's to me privately, I do read the list - thanks! ******
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org    ICQ#: 15839919
   "You have to live on the edge of reality - to make your dreams come true!"

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparc64 ATI cards

Edd Barrett
On 06/09/07, T. Ribbrock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> AFAIR, the PGX32 (aka Raptor GFX 8P) is made by Tech-Source and not ATI
> based, hence, I'd be surprised if the ATI driver supports it. Some time
> back, I ran into the same under Linux/Sparc and the PGX32 was definitely
> not supported by ATI drivers.

Great, thanks for the heads up.

It appears that the PGX64 is a ATI Rage XL based chipset, but is not
listed on the compat page. Maybe this works.

http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/sun-pgx64-ati-rage/4505-8902_7-30111421.html

>  ****** PLEASE: NO Cc's to me privately, I do read the list - thanks! ******
As you wish =)

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparc64 ATI cards

Fergus Wilde
In reply to this post by T. Ribbrock
On Thursday 06 September 2007 14:16, T. Ribbrock wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 01:52:20PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > "ATI Rage (vgafb), includes the PGX and PGX24 on-board frame buffers"
> >
> > Does that include PGX32 cards (X3668A-370-3753)?
>
> AFAIR, the PGX32 (aka Raptor GFX 8P) is made by Tech-Source and not ATI
> based, hence, I'd be surprised if the ATI driver supports it. Some time
> back, I ran into the same under Linux/Sparc and the PGX32 was definitely
> not supported by ATI drivers.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Thomas

I couldn't get one of those Raptor cards working either. I have taken it out
of the Ultra5 it was in, and am using the built in PGX24 on the motherboard.
That works fine. However, I did have to do something complex and numinous  at
the OBP prompt in order to tell the BIOS to send the video signal to that
output rather than to the PCI Raptor. I made a note, but have thrown it out,
but at least I can give you a heads up on the issue if you find you don't get
any video output from the PGX 24.

Good luck
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde
Chetham's Library
Long Millgate
Manchester
M3 1SB

Tel: 0161 834 7961
Fax: 0161 839 5797

http://www.chethams.org.uk

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparc64 ATI cards

T. Ribbrock
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 02:12:49PM +0100, Fergus Wilde wrote:
> I couldn't get one of those Raptor cards working either. I have taken it out
> of the Ultra5 it was in, and am using the built in PGX24 on the motherboard.
> That works fine. However, I did have to do something complex and numinous  at
> the OBP prompt in order to tell the BIOS to send the video signal to that
> output rather than to the PCI Raptor.

That depends on how the Raptor was installed. You can find the
installation manual on the Tech-Source website. The manual describes the
various ways of installing a Raptor (including configuration of the OBP)
and will hence also give some ideas as to how to revert this.

Or you could boot the machine while holding Ctrl-N, which should reset
the OBP to default values - I think that should also revert the frame
buffer settings.

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
 ****** PLEASE: NO Cc's to me privately, I do read the list - thanks! ******
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org    ICQ#: 15839919
   "You have to live on the edge of reality - to make your dreams come true!"