Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Theo de Raadt
Hi, yeah, it is really me.  I find it strange posting to misc,
starting an email thread.  Normally I finish the threads here.

Most OpenBSD developers have known for a while, but I think it is
important to tell the greater community that I've been a bit busy for
about the last year.  I have not been paying as much attention to
OpenBSD development as I'm expected to.  Luckily, other developers
have done a great job keeping it on track.

Why?  With a group of others, I started setting up an Internet
Exchange in Calgary, and this has taken much time because it is highly
politicized and has encountered some resistance.

http://yycix.ca
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYCIX_Internet_Exchange_Community_Ltd

Now, why do I mention this in relation to OpenBSD?  Well, at the end
of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
http://twitter.com/theoderaadt

A few notes:  The account has now changed to declare that it is a
parody account and renamed to "Not Theo de Raadt", as of a few days
ago.  If you read back into the past, you will see true character of
the account and the individual.

People in the local community were directed to the account, to give a
negative, if not slanderous, view of my character.  The ones directing
them have high-profile roles in the community, so people would take
what they say as true.  Since I am the network manager for the
exchange equipment, this by extension was meant to hurt YYCIX.

Why would stewards of important infrastructure projects deliberately
spread such false stories?

I will not mention names.  I don't need to; many can dig a little and
figure out who those actors are.  As a hint, search a little bit
higher.

Finally, one thing that particularily bothers me in the old postings
is the mention of my old friend Itojun, a very dedicated developer of
IPv6.  As many of you know, he and John Postel are the only two
internet architects currently honoured on an annual basis by the
Internet Society in the form of an award.

http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-service-award

Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

InterNetX - Robert Garrett
Because people, are idiots, and like to attack others who do useful
things. Keep your head up.

RG

On 10/07/2013 02:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, yeah, it is really me.  I find it strange posting to misc,
> starting an email thread.  Normally I finish the threads here.
>
> Most OpenBSD developers have known for a while, but I think it is
> important to tell the greater community that I've been a bit busy for
> about the last year.  I have not been paying as much attention to
> OpenBSD development as I'm expected to.  Luckily, other developers
> have done a great job keeping it on track.
>
> Why?  With a group of others, I started setting up an Internet
> Exchange in Calgary, and this has taken much time because it is highly
> politicized and has encountered some resistance.
>
> http://yycix.ca
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYCIX_Internet_Exchange_Community_Ltd
>
> Now, why do I mention this in relation to OpenBSD?  Well, at the end
> of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
> my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
> for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
> http://twitter.com/theoderaadt
>
> A few notes:  The account has now changed to declare that it is a
> parody account and renamed to "Not Theo de Raadt", as of a few days
> ago.  If you read back into the past, you will see true character of
> the account and the individual.
>
> People in the local community were directed to the account, to give a
> negative, if not slanderous, view of my character.  The ones directing
> them have high-profile roles in the community, so people would take
> what they say as true.  Since I am the network manager for the
> exchange equipment, this by extension was meant to hurt YYCIX.
>
> Why would stewards of important infrastructure projects deliberately
> spread such false stories?
>
> I will not mention names.  I don't need to; many can dig a little and
> figure out who those actors are.  As a hint, search a little bit
> higher.
>
> Finally, one thing that particularily bothers me in the old postings
> is the mention of my old friend Itojun, a very dedicated developer of
> IPv6.  As many of you know, he and John Postel are the only two
> internet architects currently honoured on an annual basis by the
> Internet Society in the form of an award.
>
> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-service-award
>
> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Robert Garrett
Senior System Engineer
Technical Projects & Solutions
--
InterNetX GmbH
Maximilianstr. 6

Tel. +49 941 59559-480
Fax  +49 941 59559-245

www.internetx.com
www.facebook.com/InterNetX
www.twitter.com/InterNetX

Geschäftsführer/CEO: Thomas Mörz
Amtsgericht Regensburg, HRB 7142

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Gregory Edigarov-5
Then again, I would find that rather offensive, given what he is saying on the header:

<citation>
Since the OBSD people are basically fucking dumber than a single sack of hammers
THIS IS A PARODY ACCOUNT.
</citation>

On 10/07/2013 03:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, yeah, it is really me.  I find it strange posting to misc,
> starting an email thread.  Normally I finish the threads here.
>
> Most OpenBSD developers have known for a while, but I think it is
> important to tell the greater community that I've been a bit busy for
> about the last year.  I have not been paying as much attention to
> OpenBSD development as I'm expected to.  Luckily, other developers
> have done a great job keeping it on track.
>
> Why?  With a group of others, I started setting up an Internet
> Exchange in Calgary, and this has taken much time because it is highly
> politicized and has encountered some resistance.
>
> http://yycix.ca
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYCIX_Internet_Exchange_Community_Ltd
>
> Now, why do I mention this in relation to OpenBSD?  Well, at the end
> of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
> my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
> for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
> http://twitter.com/theoderaadt
>
> A few notes:  The account has now changed to declare that it is a
> parody account and renamed to "Not Theo de Raadt", as of a few days
> ago.  If you read back into the past, you will see true character of
> the account and the individual.
>
> People in the local community were directed to the account, to give a
> negative, if not slanderous, view of my character.  The ones directing
> them have high-profile roles in the community, so people would take
> what they say as true.  Since I am the network manager for the
> exchange equipment, this by extension was meant to hurt YYCIX.
>
> Why would stewards of important infrastructure projects deliberately
> spread such false stories?
>
> I will not mention names.  I don't need to; many can dig a little and
> figure out who those actors are.  As a hint, search a little bit
> higher.
>
> Finally, one thing that particularily bothers me in the old postings
> is the mention of my old friend Itojun, a very dedicated developer of
> IPv6.  As many of you know, he and John Postel are the only two
> internet architects currently honoured on an annual basis by the
> Internet Society in the form of an award.
>
> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-service-award
>
> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?

--
With best regards,
      Gregory Edigarov

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Roderick
[hidden email] wrote:

> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?

This is a legitim question.

Since I am here, I think I received twice an Email from you: I
remember you as a polite person. But I did read a little of what
people write about you arround.

Some weeks ago a question of me here produced unfortunately too much
traffic. I was critical to the optimism in Tridgelll doctoral
thesis, about the rsync algorithm, about new programming technics
that seem to allow the use of hash values as a unique key. If the
question was a little off-topic, then it was not anymore as some
people here felt attacked by my critic. I was continously exposed
to insult and defamation. I continously tried to keep the discussion
objective, without much success. I asked me the very same question
you ask, I ask me it till now. And of course I tried to find an answer.
And the answer of Robert Garrett throw new questions: Because people
are idiots? Then we all are idiots and cannot compain. Or only people
that do usefull things can complain and other do not deserve respect?

Rodrigo.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

James Griffin-2
* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [2013-10-07 08:36:04 +0000]:

In fairness, you were repeating yourself a great deal and filling up our inboxes with the same statements. It went on for days and became tiresome. That was the main complaint, not the mathematical arguments you were put to the list.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

InterNetX - Robert Garrett
People who attack each, other with nothing but the defamation of the
other individual, at heart are idiots. Sometimes, in the course of
normal discussions.. things get out of hand, I really dont care about
this. I prefer people to attack ideas, not each other.

RG

On 10/07/2013 10:43 AM, James Griffin wrote:

> * [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [2013-10-07 08:36:04 +0000]:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?
>>
>> This is a legitim question.
>>
>> Since I am here, I think I received twice an Email from you: I
>> remember you as a polite person. But I did read a little of what
>> people write about you arround.
>>
>> Some weeks ago a question of me here produced unfortunately too much
>> traffic. I was critical to the optimism in Tridgelll doctoral
>> thesis, about the rsync algorithm, about new programming technics
>> that seem to allow the use of hash values as a unique key. If the
>> question was a little off-topic, then it was not anymore as some
>> people here felt attacked by my critic. I was continously exposed
>> to insult and defamation. I continously tried to keep the discussion
>> objective, without much success. I asked me the very same question
>> you ask, I ask me it till now. And of course I tried to find an answer.
>> And the answer of Robert Garrett throw new questions: Because people
>> are idiots? Then we all are idiots and cannot compain. Or only people
>> that do usefull things can complain and other do not deserve respect?
>>
>> Rodrigo.
>>

> In fairness, you were repeating yourself a great deal and filling up our inboxes with the same statements. It went on for days and became tiresome. That was the main complaint, not the mathematical arguments you were put to the list.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Robert Garrett
Senior System Engineer
Technical Projects & Solutions
--
InterNetX GmbH
Maximilianstr. 6
93047 Regensburg
Germany

Tel. +49 941 59559-480
Fax  +49 941 59559-245

www.internetx.com
www.facebook.com/InterNetX
www.twitter.com/InterNetX

Geschäftsführer/CEO: Thomas Mörz
Amtsgericht Regensburg, HRB 7142

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
I'd turn this to police
and tried to make Twitter to shut down this account.

On 7 okt 2013, at 02:48, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well, at the end
> of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
> my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
> for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
> http://twitter.com/theoderaadt

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

James Griffin-2
* InterNetX - Robert Garrett <[hidden email]> [2013-10-07 11:04:56 +0200]:

> People who attack each, other with nothing but the defamation of the
> other individual, at heart are idiots. Sometimes, in the course of
> normal discussions.. things get out of hand, I really dont care
> about this. I prefer people to attack ideas, not each other.
>
> RG

I agree. That's why I don't "attack" individuals. But when people don't listen, or continuosly repeat themselves unnecessarily, the discussion digresses and becomes irrelevent and/or annoying for those of us subscribed to the list. That's the point I tried to make. Anyway, this is digressing too.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Gregor Best-2
On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 11:10:36AM +0200, mxb wrote:
> I'd turn this to police
> [...]

That might however generate a Streisand effect, where the slanderous
statements are spread even more.

> and tried to make Twitter to shut down this account.

Since it's marked as a parody account, I don't think that would be
successful. Maybe laying out the account history, with it being
marked as parody only a few days ago, might do something.

Theo: Regardless of the "public opinion" or annoying people on
twitter, I want to reiterate the point Rodrigo made a few messages
up.

In the few mails we exchanged a while back, I've experienced you
as a very polite and to the point engineer, contrary to what the
opinion of some people might be.

And then, it's awesome to hear about YYCIX.

--
        Gregor Best

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

RichardET
I am glad to know that it is a "parody" account;
You can easily go to court, in order to force Twitter to give up the names
& contact info of those responsible for the parody account if you would
like to sue, but then any off-color public remarks you have actually made
could be turned against you.  The best approach is to sue Twitter
directly.  It would be fun to see that stupid service shutdown.

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, InterNetX - Robert Garrett wrote:

> [...]
>> Internet Society in the form of an award.

http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-ser
vice-award

>> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?
>>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Robert Garrett
> Senior System Engineer
> Technical Projects & Solutions
> --
> InterNetX GmbH
> Maximilianstr. 6
> 93047 Regensburg
> Germany
>
> Tel. +49 941 59559-480
> Fax  +49 941 59559-245
>
> www.internetx.com
> www.facebook.com/InterNetX
> www.twitter.com/InterNetX
>
> Geschäftsführer/CEO: Thomas Mörz
> Amtsgericht Regensburg, HRB 7142

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Marko Cupać
I don't see a reason why Twitter is given that much attention. It surely
gets a lot of hype from all around, but I did not excpect it will get more
from OpenBSD mailing lists.

Marko Cupać

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Gilles Cafedjian
Le 2013-10-07 12:30, Marko Cupać a écrit :

> I don't see a reason why Twitter is given that much attention. It surely
> gets a lot of hype from all around, but I did not excpect it will get more
> from OpenBSD mailing lists.

Yes, let the people spend their time and energy for nothing. It's
absolutely not interesting to spend yours on this, It's a kid game. I
appraciate much more the work you do all on awsome project like OpenBSD
and YYCIX :)

Gilles Cafedjian.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Eric Oyen
well,
Twitter does have its useful purposes. There is plenty of information on there of a technical nature. The major problem is just filtering out all the noise. Unfortunately, the idiots know about twitter and try to use it to their advantage. SOmetimes that works, and other times it backfires with very amusing results.

-eric

On Oct 7, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Gilles Cafedjian wrote:

> Le 2013-10-07 12:30, Marko Cupać a écrit :
>
>> I don't see a reason why Twitter is given that much attention. It surely
>> gets a lot of hype from all around, but I did not excpect it will get more
>> from OpenBSD mailing lists.
>
> Yes, let the people spend their time and energy for nothing. It's
> absolutely not interesting to spend yours on this, It's a kid game. I
> appraciate much more the work you do all on awsome project like OpenBSD
> and YYCIX :)
>
> Gilles Cafedjian.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

noah pugsley-3
Slander aside, pretty cool news. I do have one stupid question though,
what does the 'yy' in yycix stand for?

> Hi, yeah, it is really me.  I find it strange posting to misc,
> starting an email thread.  Normally I finish the threads here.
>
> Most OpenBSD developers have known for a while, but I think it is
> important to tell the greater community that I've been a bit busy for
> about the last year.  I have not been paying as much attention to
> OpenBSD development as I'm expected to.  Luckily, other developers
> have done a great job keeping it on track.
>
> Why?  With a group of others, I started setting up an Internet
> Exchange in Calgary, and this has taken much time because it is highly
> politicized and has encountered some resistance.
>
> http://yycix.ca
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYCIX_Internet_Exchange_Community_Ltd
>
> Now, why do I mention this in relation to OpenBSD?  Well, at the end
> of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
> my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
> for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
> http://twitter.com/theoderaadt
>
> A few notes:  The account has now changed to declare that it is a
> parody account and renamed to "Not Theo de Raadt", as of a few days
> ago.  If you read back into the past, you will see true character of
> the account and the individual.
>
> People in the local community were directed to the account, to give a
> negative, if not slanderous, view of my character.  The ones directing
> them have high-profile roles in the community, so people would take
> what they say as true.  Since I am the network manager for the
> exchange equipment, this by extension was meant to hurt YYCIX.
>
> Why would stewards of important infrastructure projects deliberately
> spread such false stories?
>
> I will not mention names.  I don't need to; many can dig a little and
> figure out who those actors are.  As a hint, search a little bit
> higher.
>
> Finally, one thing that particularily bothers me in the old postings
> is the mention of my old friend Itojun, a very dedicated developer of
> IPv6.  As many of you know, he and John Postel are the only two
> internet architects currently honoured on an annual basis by the
> Internet Society in the form of an award.
>
> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-service-award
>
> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Brad Smith-14
On 07/10/13 9:57 PM, noah pugsley wrote:
> Slander aside, pretty cool news. I do have one stupid question though,
> what does the 'yy' in yycix stand for?

It is not YY it is YYC. It is an airport code.

believed to be clean.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Scott McEachern-2
On 10/07/13 21:57, noah pugsley wrote:
> Slander aside, pretty cool news. I do have one stupid question though,
> what does the 'yy' in yycix stand for?

YYC is the International Air Transport Association airport code for the
Calgary International Airport.  Eg. YYZ is Toronto's Pearson airport,
London's Heathrow is LHR, etc.

I'd imagine they chose YYC to clearly indicate the IX location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code

--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca

"Beware the Four Horsemen of the Information Apocalypse: terrorists, drug dealers, kidnappers, and child pornographers. Seems like you can scare any public into allowing the government to do anything with those four."  -- Bruce Schneier

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Letcher Ross
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM, noah pugsley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slander aside, pretty cool news. I do have one stupid question though,
> what does the 'yy' in yycix stand for?

> > Hi, yeah, it is really me.  I find it strange posting to misc,
> > starting an email thread.  Normally I finish the threads here.
> >
> > Most OpenBSD developers have known for a while, but I think it is
> > important to tell the greater community that I've been a bit busy for
> > about the last year.  I have not been paying as much attention to
> > OpenBSD development as I'm expected to.  Luckily, other developers
> > have done a great job keeping it on track.
> >
> > Why?  With a group of others, I started setting up an Internet
> > Exchange in Calgary, and this has taken much time because it is highly
> > politicized and has encountered some resistance.
> >
> > http://yycix.ca
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYCIX_Internet_Exchange_Community_Ltd
> >
> > Now, why do I mention this in relation to OpenBSD?  Well, at the end
> > of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
> > my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
> > for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
> > http://twitter.com/theoderaadt
> >
> > A few notes:  The account has now changed to declare that it is a
> > parody account and renamed to "Not Theo de Raadt", as of a few days
> > ago.  If you read back into the past, you will see true character of
> > the account and the individual.
> >
> > People in the local community were directed to the account, to give a
> > negative, if not slanderous, view of my character.  The ones directing
> > them have high-profile roles in the community, so people would take
> > what they say as true.  Since I am the network manager for the
> > exchange equipment, this by extension was meant to hurt YYCIX.
> >
> > Why would stewards of important infrastructure projects deliberately
> > spread such false stories?
> >
> > I will not mention names.  I don't need to; many can dig a little and
> > figure out who those actors are.  As a hint, search a little bit
> > higher.
> >
> > Finally, one thing that particularily bothers me in the old postings
> > is the mention of my old friend Itojun, a very dedicated developer of
> > IPv6.  As many of you know, he and John Postel are the only two
> > internet architects currently honoured on an annual basis by the
> > Internet Society in the form of an award.
> >

> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-service-award
> >
> > Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?

YYC is the IATA code for Calgary airport.

Taru

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

noah pugsley-3
Thank you both for answering my question.

On 10/7/13, Scott McEachern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/07/13 21:57, noah pugsley wrote:
>> Slander aside, pretty cool news. I do have one stupid question though,
>> what does the 'yy' in yycix stand for?
>
> YYC is the International Air Transport Association airport code for the
> Calgary International Airport.  Eg. YYZ is Toronto's Pearson airport,
> London's Heathrow is LHR, etc.
>
> I'd imagine they chose YYC to clearly indicate the IX location.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code
>
> --
> Scott McEachern
>
> https://www.blackstaff.ca
>
> "Beware the Four Horsemen of the Information Apocalypse: terrorists, drug
> dealers, kidnappers, and child pornographers. Seems like you can scare any
> public into allowing the government to do anything with those four."  --
> Bruce Schneier

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Jean Lucas-2
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, yeah, it is really me.  I find it strange posting to misc,
> starting an email thread.  Normally I finish the threads here.
>
> Most OpenBSD developers have known for a while, but I think it is
> important to tell the greater community that I've been a bit busy for
> about the last year.  I have not been paying as much attention to
> OpenBSD development as I'm expected to.  Luckily, other developers
> have done a great job keeping it on track.
>
> Why?  With a group of others, I started setting up an Internet
> Exchange in Calgary, and this has taken much time because it is highly
> politicized and has encountered some resistance.
>
> http://yycix.ca
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYCIX_Internet_Exchange_Community_Ltd
>
> Now, why do I mention this in relation to OpenBSD?  Well, at the end
> of 2007 someone decided to open an impersonation account on twitter in
> my name, and start sending a mix of things I have said (see wikiquote
> for instance), with things that I would never say.  That account is
> http://twitter.com/theoderaadt
>
> A few notes:  The account has now changed to declare that it is a
> parody account and renamed to "Not Theo de Raadt", as of a few days
> ago.  If you read back into the past, you will see true character of
> the account and the individual.
>
> People in the local community were directed to the account, to give a
> negative, if not slanderous, view of my character.  The ones directing
> them have high-profile roles in the community, so people would take
> what they say as true.  Since I am the network manager for the
> exchange equipment, this by extension was meant to hurt YYCIX.
>
> Why would stewards of important infrastructure projects deliberately
> spread such false stories?
>
> I will not mention names.  I don't need to; many can dig a little and
> figure out who those actors are.  As a hint, search a little bit
> higher.
>
> Finally, one thing that particularily bothers me in the old postings
> is the mention of my old friend Itojun, a very dedicated developer of
> IPv6.  As many of you know, he and John Postel are the only two
> internet architects currently honoured on an annual basis by the
> Internet Society in the form of an award.
>

> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-and-awards/awards/itojun-service-award
>
> Layers of hurt being thrown around.  Why?
>
> People are people, that's why.

Keep up the good philanthropic work and don't let the long faces get you
down.

Re: Sorry OpenBSD people, been a bit busy

Indunil Jayasooriya
> Yes, let the people spend their time and energy for nothing. It's
> absolutely not interesting to spend yours on this, It's a kid game. I
> appraciate much more the work you do all on awsome project like OpenBSD
> and YYCIX :)

I also agree with you. This is a useless  topic. Let's discard it.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

123