Some questions about vmm and xorg

George
Hello.

Some questions about vmm
Does vmm (on openbsd current) support running xorg?
if not are there any plans for it?

thanks!

Re: Some questions about vmm and xorg

Josh Grosse-3
On 2017-07-27 11:30, G wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Some questions about vmm
> Does vmm (on openbsd current) support running xorg?

I'll restate this question, because the X11 Windows System uses a
client/server model,
and X.Org software includes both clients and servers.

    * X11 Clients are the graphical applications.
    * X11 Servers are the X display devices.

So, "What part of the X11 Windows System is available for vmm(4) guests"
is a better question,
and one that I can answer.

X client applications works fine from within a vmm(4) guest, as they do
from any server that
does not have a graphics display.  The typical communication path
between the application
and a workstation display (the X Server) is with ssh(1) X11 Forwarding.
See sshd_config(5),
ssh_config(5), and ssh(1) man pages for details.

If a user wanted to operate a window manager for the vmm() guest and its
various X clients,
Xephyr(1) or Xnest(1) are both available.

Re: Some questions about vmm and xorg

Mike Larkin
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 12:14:58PM -0400, Josh Grosse wrote:

> On 2017-07-27 11:30, G wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Some questions about vmm
> > Does vmm (on openbsd current) support running xorg?
>
> I'll restate this question, because the X11 Windows System uses a
> client/server model,
> and X.Org software includes both clients and servers.
>
>    * X11 Clients are the graphical applications.
>    * X11 Servers are the X display devices.
>
> So, "What part of the X11 Windows System is available for vmm(4) guests" is
> a better question,
> and one that I can answer.
>
> X client applications works fine from within a vmm(4) guest, as they do from
> any server that
> does not have a graphics display.  The typical communication path between
> the application
> and a workstation display (the X Server) is with ssh(1) X11 Forwarding.  See
> sshd_config(5),
> ssh_config(5), and ssh(1) man pages for details.
>
> If a user wanted to operate a window manager for the vmm() guest and its
> various X clients,
> Xephyr(1) or Xnest(1) are both available.

Yes, this sums it up best. Thanks Josh.

-ml