Some hints to set up a PPTP or L2TP VPN client under OpenBSD

Some hints to set up a PPTP or L2TP VPN client under OpenBSD

Максим
Hello,
Where can I find any useful information about setting up a VPN client
(PPTP or L2TP) in recent versions of OpenBSD?
Everything I found goes about OpenBSD version 3.8.

--
Best regards
Maxim Rodin

Re: Some hints to set up a PPTP or L2TP VPN client under OpenBSD

Denis Lapshin-2
Hi,

Are you going to use OpenBSD as a client of MS Win server using L2TP and
mschap auth?

Thanks.

On 12/3/2017 11:27 AM, Максим wrote:
> Hello,
> Where can I find any useful information about setting up a VPN client
> (PPTP or L2TP) in recent versions of OpenBSD?
> Everything I found goes about OpenBSD version 3.8.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Maxim Rodin

Re: Some hints to set up a PPTP or L2TP VPN client under OpenBSD

Максим
Hi, Denis.
At the moment I'd like to connect to a Mikrotik router which
was set up as a VPN server.
From Ubuntu and Windows I'm able to connect
using built in solutions.
If there are some differences in MS Windows VPN Server
which I should take into account when connecting
from OpenBSD client, I'd be glad to know them as well.

Thanks in advance.
--
Maxim Rodin

03.12.2017, 13:30, "Denis" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Are you going to use OpenBSD as a client of MS Win server using L2TP and
> mschap auth?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 12/3/2017 11:27 AM, Максим wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>  Where can I find any useful information about setting up a VPN client
>>  (PPTP or L2TP) in recent versions of OpenBSD?
>>  Everything I found goes about OpenBSD version 3.8.
>>
>>  --
>>  Best regards
>>  Maxim Rodin

Re: Some hints to set up a PPTP or L2TP VPN client under OpenBSD

Stuart Henderson
On 2017-12-04, Максим <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Denis.
> At the moment I'd like to connect to a Mikrotik router which
> was set up as a VPN server.
> From Ubuntu and Windows I'm able to connect
> using built in solutions.
> If there are some differences in MS Windows VPN Server
> which I should take into account when connecting
> from OpenBSD client, I'd be glad to know them as well.

OpenBSD has built-in support for IPsec client and server (IKEv1: isakmpd,
IKEv2: iked). L2TP and PPTP *servers* are also built in (npppd), but not
clients.

MikroTik do have IKEv1 and IKEv2 support. If it works, IKEv2 is likely to
be the best option (I don't have an MT box to test with at the moment).
Information about setting up their side:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/IPsec#Road_Warrior_setup_Ikev2_RSA_auth

If you are forced to use something else, there is some support for L2TP
via xl2tpd (in packages), but it's a bit messy. If you need to resort to
this, use the version from -current ports, and see the pkg-readme.