Softraid disks status in daily?

Federico Giannici
Hi.
What about showing softraid disks status in the "daily" script?
It could be shown just after the disk usage ("df -kl").

I know the correct way to be notified when a disk has some failure is to
use sensorsd, but it have to be setup and I think that it could be
useful to have a default and automatic way to be informed of a bad disk.

Thanks.

Re: Softraid disks status in daily?

Stefan Sperling-8
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 09:36:37AM +0200, Federico Giannici wrote:

> Hi.
> What about showing softraid disks status in the "daily" script?
> It could be shown just after the disk usage ("df -kl").
>
> I know the correct way to be notified when a disk has some failure
> is to use sensorsd, but it have to be setup and I think that it
> could be useful to have a default and automatic way to be informed
> of a bad disk.
>
> Thanks.

I've been using this in root's crontab:

*/15    *       *       *       *       /sbin/bioctl sd8 | /usr/bin/egrep -q '(Offline|Failed|Hot|Unused|Scrub|Inval)' && /sbin/bioctl sd8

It has alerted me of one disk failure already.
When a disk fails root receives an email with the command in the
subject and its output in the body.

Re: Softraid disks status in daily?

Federico Giannici
I use a simple script in sensorsd.
My suggestion was to have a simple way to be informed in every default
installation.

Thanks.