Softiron OverDrive 100

Bryan C. Everly-2
Hi arm@

If you haven't seen this box, it's a desktop machine that can actually
support a decent amount of RAM (I think it can go up to 128GB if you
want it to).  I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering how
far along the OpenBSD port was because I would sure get a kick out of
trying to get this machine up and running on it.

Anyone had any experience with this particular flavor of hardware?

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Softiron OverDrive 100

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:47:28PM -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi arm@
>
> If you haven't seen this box, it's a desktop machine that can actually
> support a decent amount of RAM (I think it can go up to 128GB if you
> want it to).  I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering how
> far along the OpenBSD port was because I would sure get a kick out of
> trying to get this machine up and running on it.
>
> Anyone had any experience with this particular flavor of hardware?

Don't buy the machine yet. The arm64 port is not ready for
non-developers. Be patient :)

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Softiron OverDrive 100

Patrick Wildt-3
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:47:28PM -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:

> Hi arm@
>
> If you haven't seen this box, it's a desktop machine that can actually
> support a decent amount of RAM (I think it can go up to 128GB if you
> want it to).  I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering how
> far along the OpenBSD port was because I would sure get a kick out of
> trying to get this machine up and running on it.
>
> Anyone had any experience with this particular flavor of hardware?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

It's progressing.  It should boot, boot up to userland and recognise
the the SATA disk.  PCIe support is not yet completely committed, but
it'll work soon.  I have a machine that is a nearly 2 years older
version of that, so I think that one should work as well.

Re: Softiron OverDrive 100

Bryan C. Everly-2
But the fun is... I am a developer. :)

Time to place that order!

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:47:28PM -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> > Hi arm@
> >
> > If you haven't seen this box, it's a desktop machine that can actually
> > support a decent amount of RAM (I think it can go up to 128GB if you
> > want it to).  I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering how
> > far along the OpenBSD port was because I would sure get a kick out of
> > trying to get this machine up and running on it.
> >
> > Anyone had any experience with this particular flavor of hardware?
>
> Don't buy the machine yet. The arm64 port is not ready for
> non-developers. Be patient :)
>
> --
> Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Bryan

Re: Softiron OverDrive 100

Bryan C. Everly-2
Cool. I will order one.

Where can I download an image and what's the best way to boot an initial
kernel?  PXE NetBoot?  Or can I boot a USB image on it?  Or should I get a
sata optical drive?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Also are we compiling on this platform with gcc or are we using clang?

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:47:28PM -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> > Hi arm@
> >
> > If you haven't seen this box, it's a desktop machine that can actually
> > support a decent amount of RAM (I think it can go up to 128GB if you
> > want it to).  I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering how
> > far along the OpenBSD port was because I would sure get a kick out of
> > trying to get this machine up and running on it.
> >
> > Anyone had any experience with this particular flavor of hardware?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bryan
> >

> It's progressing.  It should boot, boot up to userland and recognise
> the the SATA disk.  PCIe support is not yet completely committed, but
> it'll work soon.  I have a machine that is a nearly 2 years older
> version of that, so I think that one should work as well.

Bryan

Re: Softiron OverDrive 100

Patrick Wildt-3
With my latest changes PCIe and SATA should work out of the box in the
machine.  With xhci(4) in GENERIC and RAMDISK as well, it's not yet in
there, the USB ports should work as well.  I am not sure about the
ethernet, but I think the one on the OverDrive 1000 is an msk(4) on
PCIe.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 03:35:47PM +0000, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Cool. I will order one.
>
> Where can I download an image and what's the best way to boot an initial
> kernel?  PXE NetBoot?  Or can I boot a USB image on it?  Or should I get a
> sata optical drive?

Once you have a machine, pick a recent miniroot60.fs from the arm64
snapshots.  dd(1) this image onto the SATA drive, though actually
putting it onto a USB stick might work as well, and boot from there.
Should work kind of out of the box.

> Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
>
> Also are we compiling on this platform with gcc or are we using clang?

All hail king clang(1).

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:47:28PM -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> > > Hi arm@
> > >
> > > If you haven't seen this box, it's a desktop machine that can actually
> > > support a decent amount of RAM (I think it can go up to 128GB if you
> > > want it to).  I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering how
> > > far along the OpenBSD port was because I would sure get a kick out of
> > > trying to get this machine up and running on it.
> > >
> > > Anyone had any experience with this particular flavor of hardware?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bryan
> > >

> > It's progressing.  It should boot, boot up to userland and recognise
> > the the SATA disk.  PCIe support is not yet completely committed, but
> > it'll work soon.  I have a machine that is a nearly 2 years older
> > version of that, so I think that one should work as well.
> >
> --
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Re: Softiron OverDrive 100

Shawn Webb
On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 06:19:38PM +0100, Patrick Wildt wrote:
> With my latest changes PCIe and SATA should work out of the box in the
> machine.  With xhci(4) in GENERIC and RAMDISK as well, it's not yet in
> there, the USB ports should work as well.  I am not sure about the
> ethernet, but I think the one on the OverDrive 1000 is an msk(4) on
> PCIe.

I've got a current-gen SoftIron Overdrive 1000. It's currently running
HardenedBSD, but I wouldn't mind testing out booting an OpenBSD image if
you all would like.

msk(4) is indeed attached via PCIe. FreeBSD's msk driver doesn't like
the Overdrive 1000, so in order to boot, I have to set a hint disabling
it in loader.conf(5). USB works, so I use a USB ethernet NIC.

If anyone would like output of specific commands (dmsg, pciconf, etc.),
let me know.

Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE