Slow RAID io

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Slow RAID io

edgarz
Hi all!
Installed fresh CURRENT on intel NH/SR1475NH1, with Intel RAID SRCS16 (SATA), running RAID5.
All hardware is recognised, but i have a problems with slow raid performance.
maximum what i saw in iostat was a 8.2MB/s

Any ideas?


DMESG:

OpenBSD 4.0-current (GENERIC) #1331: Wed Jan  3 09:48:30 MST 2007
     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
RTC BIOS diagnostic error 80<clock_battery>
cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 3 GHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF,SSE3,MWAIT,DS-CPL,EST,CNXT-ID,CX16
real mem  = 1071697920 (1046580K)
avail mem = 969449472 (946728K)
using 4256 buffers containing 53735424 bytes (52476K) of memory
RTC BIOS diagnostic error 80<clock_battery>
mainbus0 (root)
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(00) BIOS, date 10/11/05, SMBIOS rev. 2.3 @ 0xe4bd0 (33 entries)
bios0: Intel Corporation SE7230NH1LX
apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
apm0: battery life expectancy 0%
apm0: AC off, battery charge unknown, estimated 0:00 hours
apm0: flags 30102 dobusy 0 doidle 1
pcibios at bios0 function 0x1a not configured
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xb000 0xcb000/0x2400
acpi at mainbus0 not configured
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel E7230 MCH" rev 0x00
ppb0 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 82801GB PCIE" rev 0x01
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
ppb1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Intel PCIE-PCIE" rev 0x09
pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
ami0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0 "Symbios Logic MegaRAID" rev 0x01: irq 9
ami0: Intel RAID SRCS16, 64b/lhc, FW 713N, BIOS vG401, 64MB RAM
ami0: 1 channels, 0 FC loops, 1 logical drives
scsibus0 at ami0: 40 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <AMI, Host drive #00, > SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 312804MB, 312804 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 640622592 sec total
scsibus1 at ami0: 16 targets
ppb2 at pci0 dev 28 function 4 "Intel 82801G PCIE" rev 0x01
pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
ppb3 at pci0 dev 28 function 5 "Intel 82801G PCIE" rev 0x01
pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
em0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Intel PRO/1000MT (82573E)" rev 0x03: irq 10, address 00:16:76:94:e8:34
pciide0 at pci4 dev 0 function 2 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x108d rev 0x03: DMA (unsupported), channel 0 wired to native-PCI, channel 1 wired to native-PCI
pciide0: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
pciide0: channel 0 ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)
pciide0: channel 1 ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)
"Intel 82573E AMT" rev 0x03 at pci4 dev 0 function 3 not configured
"Intel 82573E KCS (Active Management)" rev 0x03 at pci4 dev 0 function 4 not configured
uhci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
uhci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 1 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
usb1 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
uhci2 at pci0 dev 29 function 2 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
usb2 at uhci2: USB revision 1.0
uhub2 at usb2
uhub2: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub2: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
uhci3 at pci0 dev 29 function 3 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 9
usb3 at uhci3: USB revision 1.0
uhub3 at usb3
uhub3: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub3: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
ehci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 7 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
usb4 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub4 at usb4
uhub4: Intel EHCI root hub, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub4: 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered
ppb4 at pci0 dev 30 function 0 "Intel 82801BA AGP" rev 0xe1
pci5 at ppb4 bus 5
vga1 at pci5 dev 4 function 0 "ATI ES1000" rev 0x02
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
em1 at pci5 dev 5 function 0 "Intel PRO/1000MT (82541GI)" rev 0x05: irq 10, address 00:16:76:94:e8:35
ichpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel 82801GB LPC" rev 0x01: PM disabled
pciide1 at pci0 dev 31 function 1 "Intel 82801GB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA, channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to compatibility
atapiscsi0 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0
scsibus2 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <LITE-ON, DVDRW SHM-165P6S, MS0M> SCSI0 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4
pciide1: channel 1 ignored (disabled)
pciide2 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 82801GB SATA" rev 0x01: DMA, channel 0 configured to native-PCI, channel 1 configured to native-PCI
pciide2: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
ichiic0 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 "Intel 82801GB SMBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
iic0 at ichiic0
adt0 at iic0 addr 0x2c: emc6d100 rev 0x68
adt1 at iic0 addr 0x2d: lm96000 rev 0x68
adt2 at iic0 addr 0x2e: emc6d100 rev 0x68
isa0 at ichpcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pmsi0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pmsi0 mux 0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
spkr0 at pcppi0
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
biomask ebed netmask efed ttymask ffef
pctr: user-level cycle counter enabled
dkcsum: sd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
root on sd0a
rootdev=0x400 rrootdev=0xd00 rawdev=0xd02

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow RAID io

edgarz
can somebody can help me? :)

edgarz wrote:

> Hi all!
> Installed fresh CURRENT on intel NH/SR1475NH1, with Intel RAID SRCS16
> (SATA), running RAID5.
> All hardware is recognised, but i have a problems with slow raid
> performance.
> maximum what i saw in iostat was a 8.2MB/s
>
> Any ideas?
>
>
> DMESG:
>
> OpenBSD 4.0-current (GENERIC) #1331: Wed Jan  3 09:48:30 MST 2007
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> RTC BIOS diagnostic error 80<clock_battery>
> cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 3 GHz
> cpu0:
> FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF,SSE3,MWAIT,DS-CPL,EST,CNXT-ID,CX16
>
> real mem  = 1071697920 (1046580K)
> avail mem = 969449472 (946728K)
> using 4256 buffers containing 53735424 bytes (52476K) of memory
> RTC BIOS diagnostic error 80<clock_battery>
> mainbus0 (root)
> bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(00) BIOS, date 10/11/05, SMBIOS rev. 2.3 @
> 0xe4bd0 (33 entries)
> bios0: Intel Corporation SE7230NH1LX
> apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
> apm0: battery life expectancy 0%
> apm0: AC off, battery charge unknown, estimated 0:00 hours
> apm0: flags 30102 dobusy 0 doidle 1
> pcibios at bios0 function 0x1a not configured
> bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xb000 0xcb000/0x2400
> acpi at mainbus0 not configured
> cpu0 at mainbus0
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel E7230 MCH" rev 0x00
> ppb0 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 82801GB PCIE" rev 0x01
> pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
> ppb1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Intel PCIE-PCIE" rev 0x09
> pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
> ami0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0 "Symbios Logic MegaRAID" rev 0x01: irq 9
> ami0: Intel RAID SRCS16, 64b/lhc, FW 713N, BIOS vG401, 64MB RAM
> ami0: 1 channels, 0 FC loops, 1 logical drives
> scsibus0 at ami0: 40 targets
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <AMI, Host drive #00, > SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd0: 312804MB, 312804 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 640622592 sec
> total
> scsibus1 at ami0: 16 targets
> ppb2 at pci0 dev 28 function 4 "Intel 82801G PCIE" rev 0x01
> pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
> ppb3 at pci0 dev 28 function 5 "Intel 82801G PCIE" rev 0x01
> pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
> em0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Intel PRO/1000MT (82573E)" rev 0x03: irq
> 10, address 00:16:76:94:e8:34
> pciide0 at pci4 dev 0 function 2 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x108d
> rev 0x03: DMA (unsupported), channel 0 wired to native-PCI, channel 1
> wired to native-PCI
> pciide0: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
> pciide0: channel 0 ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)
> pciide0: channel 1 ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)
> "Intel 82573E AMT" rev 0x03 at pci4 dev 0 function 3 not configured
> "Intel 82573E KCS (Active Management)" rev 0x03 at pci4 dev 0 function 4
> not configured
> uhci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
> usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0
> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 1 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
> usb1 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
> uhub1 at usb1
> uhub1: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhci2 at pci0 dev 29 function 2 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
> usb2 at uhci2: USB revision 1.0
> uhub2 at usb2
> uhub2: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub2: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhci3 at pci0 dev 29 function 3 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 9
> usb3 at uhci3: USB revision 1.0
> uhub3 at usb3
> uhub3: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub3: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> ehci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 7 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: irq 11
> usb4 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
> uhub4 at usb4
> uhub4: Intel EHCI root hub, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub4: 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered
> ppb4 at pci0 dev 30 function 0 "Intel 82801BA AGP" rev 0xe1
> pci5 at ppb4 bus 5
> vga1 at pci5 dev 4 function 0 "ATI ES1000" rev 0x02
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> em1 at pci5 dev 5 function 0 "Intel PRO/1000MT (82541GI)" rev 0x05: irq
> 10, address 00:16:76:94:e8:35
> ichpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel 82801GB LPC" rev 0x01: PM
> disabled
> pciide1 at pci0 dev 31 function 1 "Intel 82801GB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
> channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to
> compatibility
> atapiscsi0 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0
> scsibus2 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
> cd0 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <LITE-ON, DVDRW SHM-165P6S, MS0M> SCSI0
> 5/cdrom removable
> cd0(pciide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4
> pciide1: channel 1 ignored (disabled)
> pciide2 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 82801GB SATA" rev 0x01: DMA,
> channel 0 configured to native-PCI, channel 1 configured to native-PCI
> pciide2: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
> ichiic0 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 "Intel 82801GB SMBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> iic0 at ichiic0
> adt0 at iic0 addr 0x2c: emc6d100 rev 0x68
> adt1 at iic0 addr 0x2d: lm96000 rev 0x68
> adt2 at iic0 addr 0x2e: emc6d100 rev 0x68
> isa0 at ichpcib0
> isadma0 at isa0
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> pmsi0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
> wsmouse0 at pmsi0 mux 0
> pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
> midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
> spkr0 at pcppi0
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
> pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> biomask ebed netmask efed ttymask ffef
> pctr: user-level cycle counter enabled
> dkcsum: sd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
> root on sd0a
> rootdev=0x400 rrootdev=0xd00 rawdev=0xd02
>
>
> !DSPAM:459d2dbb169241234514069!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow RAID io

Jacob Yocom-Piatt
edgarz wrote:
> can somebody can help me? :)
>

perhaps this is a with/without battery problem? just a guess...

> edgarz wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> Installed fresh CURRENT on intel NH/SR1475NH1, with Intel RAID SRCS16
>> (SATA), running RAID5.
>> All hardware is recognised, but i have a problems with slow raid
>> performance.
>> maximum what i saw in iostat was a 8.2MB/s
>>
>> ami0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0 "Symbios Logic MegaRAID" rev 0x01: irq 9
>> ami0: Intel RAID SRCS16, 64b/lhc, FW 713N, BIOS vG401, 64MB RAM
>> ami0: 1 channels, 0 FC loops, 1 logical drives
>> scsibus0 at ami0: 40 targets
>> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <AMI, Host drive #00, > SCSI2 0/direct
>> fixed
>> sd0: 312804MB, 312804 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 640622592
>> sec total
>> scsibus1 at ami0: 16 targets

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow RAID io

edgarz
Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
> edgarz wrote:
>> can somebody can help me? :)
>>
>
> perhaps this is a with/without battery problem? just a guess...
battery problem??

>
>> edgarz wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>> Installed fresh CURRENT on intel NH/SR1475NH1, with Intel RAID SRCS16
>>> (SATA), running RAID5.
>>> All hardware is recognised, but i have a problems with slow raid
>>> performance.
>>> maximum what i saw in iostat was a 8.2MB/s
>>>
>>> ami0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0 "Symbios Logic MegaRAID" rev 0x01: irq 9
>>> ami0: Intel RAID SRCS16, 64b/lhc, FW 713N, BIOS vG401, 64MB RAM
>>> ami0: 1 channels, 0 FC loops, 1 logical drives
>>> scsibus0 at ami0: 40 targets
>>> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <AMI, Host drive #00, > SCSI2 0/direct
>>> fixed
>>> sd0: 312804MB, 312804 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 640622592
>>> sec total
>>> scsibus1 at ami0: 16 targets
>
>
> !DSPAM:459e97ca190681234514069!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow RAID io

Joachim Schipper
On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 11:33:32AM +0200, edgarz wrote:

> Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
> >edgarz wrote:
> >>edgarz wrote:
> >>>Hi all!
> >>>Installed fresh CURRENT on intel NH/SR1475NH1, with Intel RAID SRCS16
> >>>(SATA), running RAID5.
> >>>All hardware is recognised, but i have a problems with slow raid
> >>>performance.
> >>>maximum what i saw in iostat was a 8.2MB/s
> >>>
> >>>ami0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0 "Symbios Logic MegaRAID" rev 0x01: irq 9
> >>>ami0: Intel RAID SRCS16, 64b/lhc, FW 713N, BIOS vG401, 64MB RAM
> >>>ami0: 1 channels, 0 FC loops, 1 logical drives
> >>>scsibus0 at ami0: 40 targets
> >>>sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <AMI, Host drive #00, > SCSI2 0/direct
> >>>fixed
> >>>sd0: 312804MB, 312804 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 640622592
> >>>sec total
> >>>scsibus1 at ami0: 16 targets
> >
> >perhaps this is a with/without battery problem? just a guess...
> battery problem??

Many RAID systems rely on a battery to power their memory and such in
case of a power cut; this has the large advantage that the RAID card
can make full use of its buffers, confident that it can always get the
disks in a consistent state before it loses power.

Without, the card usually disables all cache, which makes it very slow.

                Joachim