Skype?

Waldemar Brodkorb-2
Hi,

does anybody got skype working under OpenBSD?
I trying on my -current system (ibm x40 x86). OpenOffice 1.x and
Acrobat Reader works fine with Linux emulation, but skype (static
and synamic version) does not start:
./skype
ksh: ./skype: Cannot allocate memory

There are similar messages in the archive, but still no solution?

Does anybody have an idea?

A customer asked me to use Skype to communicate with him. I do not
like to tell him, I use OpenBSD on my laptop and cannot use it..

Linux is not an option for my daily work.

Thx in advance
    Waldemar

--
Geek by nature. OpenBSD by choice.
http://openbsd-geek.de/

Re: Skype?

Edd Barrett
On 17/11/05, Waldemar Brodkorb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody got skype working under OpenBSD?
> I trying on my -current system (ibm x40 x86). OpenOffice 1.x and
> Acrobat Reader works fine with Linux emulation, but skype (static
> and synamic version) does not start:
> ./skype
> ksh: ./skype: Cannot allocate memory
>
> There are similar messages in the archive, but still no solution?
>
> Does anybody have an idea?
>
> A customer asked me to use Skype to communicate with him. I do not
> like to tell him, I use OpenBSD on my laptop and cannot use it..
>
> Linux is not an option for my daily work.
>
> Thx in advance
>     Waldemar
>
> --
> Geek by nature. OpenBSD by choice.
> http://openbsd-geek.de/

I tried this and got the same error on 3.7 about a month ago.

Regards

Edd

Re: Skype?

Dale Rahn
On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 05:28:45PM +0100, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody got skype working under OpenBSD?
> I trying on my -current system (ibm x40 x86). OpenOffice 1.x and
> Acrobat Reader works fine with Linux emulation, but skype (static
> and synamic version) does not start:
> ./skype
> ksh: ./skype: Cannot allocate memory
>
> There are similar messages in the archive, but still no solution?
>
> Does anybody have an idea?
>
> A customer asked me to use Skype to communicate with him. I do not
> like to tell him, I use OpenBSD on my laptop and cannot use it..

Unfortunately it will not work at this time. A change went in to -current
(exec_elf.c) which improves the situation (the program will start) but skype
fails shortly after. Oh for 72 hours in a day...

Dale Rahn [hidden email]

Re: Skype?

Waldemar Brodkorb-2
Hi Dale, Hi *,
Dale Rahn wrote,

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 05:28:45PM +0100, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anybody got skype working under OpenBSD?
> > I trying on my -current system (ibm x40 x86). OpenOffice 1.x and

rather old -current ;)

> > Acrobat Reader works fine with Linux emulation, but skype (static
> > and synamic version) does not start:
> > ./skype
> > ksh: ./skype: Cannot allocate memory
> >
> > There are similar messages in the archive, but still no solution?
> >
> > Does anybody have an idea?
> >
> > A customer asked me to use Skype to communicate with him. I do not
> > like to tell him, I use OpenBSD on my laptop and cannot use it..
> >

> Unfortunately it will not work at this time. A change went in to -current
> (exec_elf.c) which improves the situation (the program will start) but skype
> fails shortly after. Oh for 72 hours in a day...

Thx a lot. Just talked to Thorsten Glaser, he said he got some
kernel patch after his question on this list in juli. Nice to here
that it is included in -current, so that it will start.

Let's see if we get further... otherwise i will play with Quemu ;)

bye
    Waldemar