Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Jonathan Drews-3
Is there an alternative to Skype that runs on OpenBSD? I looked in http://openports.se/
and didn't see anything. I want to take online classes nad need a video
conferencingsoftware. --Kind regards,Jonathan

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Jordan Geoghegan-3
Assuming Firefox or chromium on OpenBSD has WebRTC support (havent
checked in a while), talky.io should work. It's a free website that
supports WebRTC chats. I've used it in the past with great success.

On 2019-11-02 14:35, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Is there an alternative to Skype that runs on OpenBSD? I looked in http://openports.se/
> and didn't see anything. I want to take online classes nad need a video
> conferencingsoftware. --Kind regards,Jonathan

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 10:35:36PM +0100, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Is there an alternative to Skype that runs on OpenBSD? I looked in http://openports.se/
> and didn't see anything. I want to take online classes nad need a video
> conferencingsoftware. --Kind regards,Jonathan

It depends what you need for your online classes.
Regular video should "just work".

For anything else (real video conferencing), use something else; interactive
real time audio / video is crap; it doesn't work in the real world.

Antoine

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Stuart Longland
On 3/11/19 7:35 am, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Is there an alternative to Skype that runs on OpenBSD? I looked in http://openports.se/
> and didn't see anything. I want to take online classes nad need a video
> conferencingsoftware

Do you need any video conferencing software (i.e. the group running the
online class is willing to switch to whatever you can get working?), or
do you specifically need Skype?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Frank Beuth
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 04:51:48PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
>Do you need any video conferencing software (i.e. the group running the
>online class is willing to switch to whatever you can get working?), or
>do you specifically need Skype?

Not sure about the original poster but I would be interested in any
end-to-end encrypted video/audio/chat programs that are available.

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

U'll Be King of the Stars

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Péter Bertalan Zoltán-2
Frank Beuth <[hidden email]> [2019-11-03 11:55:21 +0100]:
> Not sure about the original poster but I would be interested in any
> end-to-end encrypted video/audio/chat programs that are available.

Matrix may be interesting https://matrix.org/

It has ETE chat, but I am not sure about audio/video. It is possible to
host synapse on OpenBSD (I do it), but to be honest it feels rather
cumbersome. Synapse is written in Python and is rather slow.[^1]

There are some other incomplete implementations as well, I think of one
them is written in C++.

Unfortunately the most complete (reference) client is Riot, which—to my
knowledge—can only be used in a browser in OpenBSD. There is also a
weechat script, however.

In general, to me, it doesn't feel like it's prime time for Matrix yet,
but I guess it could work with some better implementations of both
clients and servers. I would love to replace Messenger with it to talk
with my friends (those willing to change). It also has briding
capabilities, for example there is an IRC bridge which I got partially
working (I can receive messages from IRC rooms, but I didn't manage to
send anything yet).

[^1]: On my homeserver I am unable to join to the official #matrix room
hosted at matrix.org, trying seems to overload my server, it becomes
unresponsive.

--
Bertalan Z. Péter <[hidden email]>
FB9B 34FE 3500 3977 92AE  4809 935C 3BEB 44C1 0F89

/"\
\ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email & proprietary attachments
/ \    www.asciiribbon.org

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Stefan Sperling-5
On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:47:16PM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
> Assuming Firefox or chromium on OpenBSD has WebRTC support (havent checked
> in a while), talky.io should work. It's a free website that supports WebRTC
> chats. I've used it in the past with great success.

The www/nextcloud port with the 'Talk' add-on, and with telephony/turnserver,
can be used to self-host a WebRTC server on OpenBSD.

> On 3/11/19 7:35 am, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> > Is there an alternative to Skype that runs on OpenBSD? I looked in http://openports.se/
> > and didn't see anything. I want to take online classes nad need a video
> > conferencingsoftware
>
> Do you need any video conferencing software (i.e. the group running the
> online class is willing to switch to whatever you can get working?), or
> do you specifically need Skype?

The woman offering the class uses Skype so I am probably going to have to use Windows. I have a laptop with Windows 10 but I hardly ever use it. Windows is a big step down in performance when compared to OpenBSD.
 I thought Skype used a protocol that allowed other clients to connect to it then I read the Wikipedia page on Skype. The technology is owned by Microsoft.

> --
> Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
>
> I haven't lost my mind...
>   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Xiánwén Chén
Dear Mr. Drews,

> The woman offering the class uses Skype so I am probably going to have to use Windows. I have a laptop with >

Skype usually runs well on Linux.

It may run on FreeBSD too, although I have never looked into that.

One trick that I use is to run Skype on my Android phone.

Yours sincerely,
Xianwen

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Florian Viehweger

>I thought Skype used a protocol that allowed other clients to connect
>to it then I read the Wikipedia page on Skype. The technology is owned
>by Microsoft.

Many moons ago you could at least chat with other clients, but you also had to run Skype itself.
It was more or less remote controlling the official client. This is maybe what you are remembering.

--
Greetings,

Florian Viehweger

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Roderick

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019, Jonathan Drews wrote:

> I thought Skype used a protocol that allowed other clients to connect to
> it then I read the Wikipedia page on Skype. The technology is owned by
> Microsoft.

A standard is SIP. Then a solution would be something like:

https://kb.asipto.com/kamailio:skype-like-service-in-less-than-one-hour

On 3/11/19 11:27 pm, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> The woman offering the class uses Skype so I am probably going to have to use Windows. I have a laptop with Windows 10 but I hardly ever use it. Windows is a big step down in performance when compared to OpenBSD.
>  I thought Skype used a protocol that allowed other clients to connect to it then I read the Wikipedia page on Skype. The technology is owned by Microsoft.

Yeah, Skype uses its own proprietary protocol.  Not sure if there's ever
been an effort to reverse engineer it.

Skype was a start-up company originally, which was then bought by eBay,
then later sold to Microsoft.  There was clients for Linux, MacOS X and
Windows years ago, not sure what their status is today.  I haven't
touched Skype myself since 2012, last time I did was on MacOS X 10.6.

I hear there's a WebRTC version.  If the browsers available for OpenBSD
are capable of this too, that might be your best bet, otherwise you're
more-or-less snookered: you'll have to run Skype either in a VM,
alternate OS on the same computer (dual-boot), or install it on a
separate computer.

On 2019-11-03 05:15, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:47:16PM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
>> Assuming Firefox or chromium on OpenBSD has WebRTC support (havent checked
>> in a while), talky.io should work. It's a free website that supports WebRTC
>> chats. I've used it in the past with great success.
> The www/nextcloud port with the 'Talk' add-on, and with telephony/turnserver,
> can be used to self-host a WebRTC server on OpenBSD.

That's really cool, thanks for mentioning that. I'm going to go try
setting up a Nextcloud WebRTC server now :p

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 11:12:48AM +0000, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
>On 03/11/2019 10:55, Frank Beuth wrote:
>> Not sure about the original poster but I would be interested in
>> any end-to-end encrypted video/audio/chat programs that are
>> available.
>
>Have a look at Tox.  It might work out for you on a technical level.

Are Tox and/or Matrix available on OpenBSD? I only see a FreeBSD version
of Tox, while 'matrix' is a fairly generic name so hard to say.

http://openports.se/search.php?stype=description&so=Tox

> while 'matrix' is a fairly generic name so hard to say.

Searching "matrix instant messenger" took me to their site, and a short
amount of browsing took me to https://matrix.org/clients

None of those showed up in the OpenPorts listings, but you might be able
to compile at least one of them.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Re: Skype alternatives for OpenBSD

Jan Stary
On Nov 03 11:55:21, [hidden email] wrote:
> Not sure about the original poster but I would be interested in any
> end-to-end encrypted video/audio/chat programs that are available.

On this general purpose operating system,
the following is in a base install:

aucat ... | ssh user@host 'aucat ...'
video ... | ssh user@host 'video ...'

On 7/11/19 4:23 am, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Nov 03 11:55:21, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Not sure about the original poster but I would be interested in any
>> end-to-end encrypted video/audio/chat programs that are available.
>
> On this general purpose operating system,
> the following is in a base install:
>
> aucat ... | ssh user@host 'aucat ...'
> video ... | ssh user@host 'video ...'
Latency and video-audio synchronisation might be a bit of a crap-shoot
with such a set-up.