Should the RK3399Pro work out of the box on OpenBSD? Has 8GB RAM

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Should the RK3399Pro work out of the box on OpenBSD? Has 8GB RAM

Joseph Mayer
Hi arm@!

Should the RK3399Pro work out of the box? Its specs look equivalent
with the RK3399's but it has 8GB RAM.

If a hardware donation is of use let me know.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=rk3399pro&sort=multicore_score

Some RK3399Pro SBC refs and more at bottom [1]:
 * https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiN10
 * Looks: https://youtu.be/6X7f3pTWlOwt=172
 * https://www.seeedstudio.com/ROCK-PI-N10-Model-C-RK3399Pro-8GB-LPDDR3-64GB-eMMC-p-4381.html
 * https://shop.maker-store.de/single-board-computer/boards/einzelne-boards/2778/rock-pi-n10-8gb/64gb-rockchip-rk3399-pro

RK3399Pro is the successor of the RK3399, essentially the same but
supports 8GB RAM and bundles some NPU which OpenBSD of course not will
support. There appears to have been some delays from Rockchip's side in
manufacturing, as Pine64 said they delayed making their own SBC for
this reason, ref. https://www.pine64.org/2019/08/05/august-update-london-meetup-pinetab-news-soedge-and-more/.

Together with the Broadcom BCM2711 based Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module
[2] this is the only very low cost ARM64 with 8GB RAM I'm aware of.
This said Raspberry is already supported by OpenBSD. RK3399Pro has
the benefit of having four lane PCIe (versus one lane) (and having
USB 3), which makes it way superior for real world IO. Quickly
comparing Geekbench results, RK3399Pro looks about 20% faster than
BCM2711. BCM2711 is uniquely manufactured for Raspberry (sigh), so
there will be no SBCs in the wild with it from other manufacturers.

Thanks,
Joseph

[1]
Various RK3399Pro SBCs:
 * ToyBrick
   https://www.amazon.com/Toybrick-Development-Artificial-Intelligence-Acceleration/dp/B07P3LNKRT
   https://store.vamrs.com/products/tb-rk3399pro-rockchip-dev-board
 * Vamrs VMARC RK3399Pro SoM Ficus2
   https://store.vamrs.com/products/vmarc-rk3399pro-som-ficus2-evaluation-board
 * Khadas Edge-1S
   https://www.khadas.com/product-page/edge
   https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/khadas-edge-rk3399pro-hackable-expandable-sbc#/
   Battery, M.2.
 * Asus Tinker Edge R
   https://tinker-board.asus.com/prod_tinker-edge-r.html

[2]
https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/cm4/cm4-product-brief.pdf
https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/cm4/cm4-datasheet.pdf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Should the RK3399Pro work out of the box on OpenBSD? Has 8GB RAM

Kurt Miller-3
On Mon, 2020-11-23 at 17:36 +0000, Joseph Mayer wrote:
> Hi arm@!
>
> Should the RK3399Pro work out of the box?

Yes it does. See my 'Radxa ROCK Pi N10 Works' email.

> Its specs look equivalent
> with the RK3399's but it has 8GB RAM.

I was excited about this board too but note that only
4GB of the ram is available to the CPU. The other 4GB
is reserved for the NPU.

> If a hardware donation is of use let me know.
>
> https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=rk3399pro&sort=multicore_score
>
> Some RK3399Pro SBC refs and more at bottom [1]:
>  * https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiN10
>  * Looks: https://youtu.be/6X7f3pTWlOwt=172
>  * https://www.seeedstudio.com/ROCK-PI-N10-Model-C-RK3399Pro-8GB-LPDDR3-64GB-eMMC-p-4381.html
>  * https://shop.maker-store.de/single-board-computer/boards/einzelne-boards/2778/rock-pi-n10-8gb/64gb-rockchip-rk3399-
> pro
>
> RK3399Pro is the successor of the RK3399, essentially the same but
> supports 8GB RAM and bundles some NPU which OpenBSD of course not will
> support. There appears to have been some delays from Rockchip's side in
> manufacturing, as Pine64 said they delayed making their own SBC for
> this reason, ref. https://www.pine64.org/2019/08/05/august-update-london-meetup-pinetab-news-soedge-and-more/.
>
> Together with the Broadcom BCM2711 based Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module
> [2] this is the only very low cost ARM64 with 8GB RAM I'm aware of.
> This said Raspberry is already supported by OpenBSD. RK3399Pro has
> the benefit of having four lane PCIe (versus one lane) (and having
> USB 3), which makes it way superior for real world IO. Quickly
> comparing Geekbench results, RK3399Pro looks about 20% faster than
> BCM2711. BCM2711 is uniquely manufactured for Raspberry (sigh), so
> there will be no SBCs in the wild with it from other manufacturers.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> [1]
> Various RK3399Pro SBCs:
>  * ToyBrick
>    https://www.amazon.com/Toybrick-Development-Artificial-Intelligence-Acceleration/dp/B07P3LNKRT
>    https://store.vamrs.com/products/tb-rk3399pro-rockchip-dev-board
>  * Vamrs VMARC RK3399Pro SoM Ficus2
>    https://store.vamrs.com/products/vmarc-rk3399pro-som-ficus2-evaluation-board
>  * Khadas Edge-1S
>    https://www.khadas.com/product-page/edge
>    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/khadas-edge-rk3399pro-hackable-expandable-sbc#/
>    Battery, M.2.
>  * Asus Tinker Edge R
>    https://tinker-board.asus.com/prod_tinker-edge-r.html
>
> [2]
> https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/cm4/cm4-product-brief.pdf
> https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/cm4/cm4-datasheet.pdf
>