Scientific Python

dfeustel
I have the following OpenBSD python package installed on 3.8:

python-2.3.5p2      interpreted object-oriented programming language
python-idle-2.4.1p0 IDE for Python
python-tkinter-2.4.1p0 tk GUI module for Python
scons-0.96.1        Python-based build system

I have tried to add Scientific Python to my system,
but so far I have not succeeded. Is there any possibility of
getting Scientific Python (SciPy?) added to the OpenBSD
package collection?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel
--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"

Re: Scientific Python

steven mestdagh
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:13:44AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:

> I have the following OpenBSD python package installed on 3.8:
>
> python-2.3.5p2      interpreted object-oriented programming language
> python-idle-2.4.1p0 IDE for Python
> python-tkinter-2.4.1p0 tk GUI module for Python
> scons-0.96.1        Python-based build system
>
> I have tried to add Scientific Python to my system,
> but so far I have not succeeded. Is there any possibility of
> getting Scientific Python (SciPy?) added to the OpenBSD
> package collection?

sure it's possible, if someone makes a decent port for it.
you say you have not succeeded but not what exactly the problems are...

--
steven

Re: Scientific Python

dfeustel
On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:05, steven mestdagh wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:13:44AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > I have the following OpenBSD python package installed on 3.8:
> >
> > python-2.3.5p2      interpreted object-oriented programming language
> > python-idle-2.4.1p0 IDE for Python
> > python-tkinter-2.4.1p0 tk GUI module for Python
> > scons-0.96.1        Python-based build system
> >
> > I have tried to add Scientific Python to my system,
> > but so far I have not succeeded. Is there any possibility of
> > getting Scientific Python (SciPy?) added to the OpenBSD
> > package collection?
>
> sure it's possible, if someone makes a decent port for it.
> you say you have not succeeded but not what exactly the problems are...

Sorry. Here are the details.

I downloaded 'Scientif Python' and installed it.
When I tried to run it, I got an error message that 'numeric python'
was not present. I then went to the numeric python web site and
found that 'numeric python' had apparently been replaced by a
new package called 'SciPy'. At that point I became confused by the
similar names and I am now looking for a how-to for installing Scientific
Python to clear up my confusion and get the package(s) properly
installed on my system. These packages seem to be highly regarded
and it might be worth while to make them OpenBSD packages.

Dave Feustel

--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"

Re: Scientific Python

Frank Garcia

On Dec 13, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Dave Feustel wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:05, steven mestdagh wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:13:44AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
>>> I have the following OpenBSD python package installed on 3.8:
>>>
>>> python-2.3.5p2      interpreted object-oriented programming language
>>> python-idle-2.4.1p0 IDE for Python
>>> python-tkinter-2.4.1p0 tk GUI module for Python
>>> scons-0.96.1        Python-based build system
>>>
>>> I have tried to add Scientific Python to my system,
>>> but so far I have not succeeded. Is there any possibility of
>>> getting Scientific Python (SciPy?) added to the OpenBSD
>>> package collection?
>>
>> sure it's possible, if someone makes a decent port for it.
>> you say you have not succeeded but not what exactly the problems
>> are...
>
> Sorry. Here are the details.
>
> I downloaded 'Scientif Python' and installed it.
> When I tried to run it, I got an error message that 'numeric python'
> was not present. I then went to the numeric python web site and
> found that 'numeric python' had apparently been replaced by a
> new package called 'SciPy'. At that point I became confused by the
> similar names and I am now looking for a how-to for installing
> Scientific
> Python to clear up my confusion and get the package(s) properly
> installed on my system. These packages seem to be highly regarded
> and it might be worth while to make them OpenBSD packages.
>
> Dave Feustel
>
> --
> Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
> Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"

I believe the OpenBSD port/package you're missing is py-Numeric-23.1.

Frank

Re: Scientific Python

Aleksander Piotrowski
Dave Feustel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have tried to add Scientific Python to my system,
> but so far I have not succeeded. Is there any possibility of
> getting Scientific Python (SciPy?) added to the OpenBSD
> package collection?

Here goes py-scientificpython port.  Please test it and tell us if you
agree to maintain it.

Cheers,

Alek
--
To, co zrobił Liu jest pokazaniem światu "chińskiej szybkości". Liu Xiang nie
tylko błyskawicznie pokonał płotki na bieżni. On pokonał przede wszystkim 108

py-scientificpython.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment