Scheduler hack for multi-threaded processes

Re: Scheduler hack for multi-threaded processes

Edd Barrett-3
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:09:39PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:35:50PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > So here is a diff that keeps yield() the same and adds the code in the
> > sched_yield(2) implementation instead.
>
> I'm going to now run with this diff for a while. On first glance,
> browser performance is good. Video seems to work well in firefox.

Just to follow this up. Zero problems in the last 4 days. Good browser
experience.

I can't vouch for the code though.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Scheduler hack for multi-threaded processes

Henrik Friedrichsen
Can confirm all the reports regarding desktop apps becoming more
responsive. I do, however, experience sound stutters, e.g. when playing
music in the browser (Google Play Music) or movies with mpv.

Interestingly, this does not seem to happen when playing YouTube videos.

Re: Scheduler hack for multi-threaded processes

Alexandre Ratchov-2
On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:41:01PM +0200, Henrik Friedrichsen wrote:
> Can confirm all the reports regarding desktop apps becoming more
> responsive. I do, however, experience sound stutters, e.g. when playing
> music in the browser (Google Play Music) or movies with mpv.

do you mean that sound stuttes if the diff is applied but doesn't
stutter without the diff?

Re: Scheduler hack for multi-threaded processes

Henrik Friedrichsen
Hey,

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 02:00:13PM +0200, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> do you mean that sound stuttes if the diff is applied but doesn't
> stutter without the diff?

Stuttering may have been an exaggeration. It's more of a short, bassy
click than a stutter, really.

Could be that it already did this before and I just hadn't noticed. I'll
observe it more closely and report back, should I have something more
accurate.

123