SSH, sftp-server subsystem not logging to utmp ?

SSH, sftp-server subsystem not logging to utmp ?

turha turha
Hey all,

After reading all I could think of, and skimming thru even more man pages
and websites, I couldn't find any useful info on why my box doesn't log sftp
users to utmp..

If I use 'w' or 'who', they properly tell me all the ssh, telnet, ftp,
console users logged in, but sftp users are not shown, I'm guessing this is
because they are not added to utmp, but why they aren't added I can't figure
out, AFAIK sftp-server subsystem doesn't have any flags like regular ftp
(for which -U , if I remember correctly, does the trick), and since ssh
users are added, I'm guessing sftp-server doesn't inherit this functionality
from ssh either, so is there any place to adjust the behavior ? or am I
supposed to use some other tool to monitor sftp usage ?

Re: SSH, sftp-server subsystem not logging to utmp ?

Lukasz Sztachanski
On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 11:10:16PM +0200, turha turha wrote:

> users are added, I'm guessing sftp-server doesn't inherit this functionality
> from ssh either, so is there any place to adjust the behavior ? or am I
> supposed to use some other tool to monitor sftp usage ?

authlog shows: date host sshd[pid]: subsystem request for sftp
after( obviously) succesfull login, and lastcomm(1) gives some info too.

                                - Lukasz Sztachanski

--
0x058B7133 // 16AB 4EBC 29DA D92D 8DBE  BC01 FC91 9EF7 058B 7133
http://szati.blogspot.com