SPARCclassic and QLogic wide-SCSI controller: 'request queue transfer error'

SPARCclassic and QLogic wide-SCSI controller: 'request queue transfer error'

Alex J.-2
Hello all,

I'm taking my first steps with OpenBSD on my sun4m (LC) and there was
a QLogic wide-SCSI board, model n: SP1610402-01, occupying one of the
SBus slots.

On this machine I've installed OpenBSD 4.9/sparc. In the 'supported
devices' section of the INSTALL.sparc file, it includes 'QSP/ISP SCSI
controllers (i.e. "PTI,ptisp", "ptisp", "SUNW,isp" and "QLGC,isp")
(isp)'. Based on the message below, which mentions 'isp0', I conclude
that this QLogic board corresponds to one of these and is
theoretically supported.

However, during the initial post-installation boot, the process was
interrupted by the following message, of which the last two lines were
repeated ad nauseam.

--- BEGIN ---
isp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x10000
isp0: board type 1020A rev 0x0, loaded firmware rev 1.37.0
scsibus1 at isp0: 16 targets, initiator 7
isp0: Request Queue Transfer Error
isp0: board type 1020A rev 0x0, loaded firmware rev 1.37.0
--- END ---

When I removed the board, the system booted with no problem. So I
dusted the board off, re-installed it and tried again. The message
reappeared.

(1) Is there a means to circumvent this interruption whilst leaving
the board installed?

(2) Is the board (a) defective, (b) simply not supported, or (c) have
I inadvertently discovered some strange problem?

Some background information. Previously I was playing with NetBSD
(4.something) on this system and the board was present. The system
never complained, although I do not recall trying to _use_ the board
with a wide-SCSI device. Since this will soon be my only system able
to connect to my wide-SCSI devices, I would like to retrieve this
functionality.

Thanks for your help!

- Alex

Re: SPARCclassic and QLogic wide-SCSI controller: 'request queue transfer error'

OpenBSD-9
On 09/18/11 22:53, Alex J. wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm taking my first steps with OpenBSD on my sun4m (LC) and there was
> a QLogic wide-SCSI board, model n: SP1610402-01, occupying one of the
> SBus slots.
>
> On this machine I've installed OpenBSD 4.9/sparc. In the 'supported
> devices' section of the INSTALL.sparc file, it includes 'QSP/ISP SCSI
> controllers (i.e. "PTI,ptisp", "ptisp", "SUNW,isp" and "QLGC,isp")
> (isp)'. Based on the message below, which mentions 'isp0', I conclude
> that this QLogic board corresponds to one of these and is
> theoretically supported.
>
> However, during the initial post-installation boot, the process was
> interrupted by the following message, of which the last two lines were
> repeated ad nauseam.
>
> --- BEGIN ---
> isp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x10000
> isp0: board type 1020A rev 0x0, loaded firmware rev 1.37.0
> scsibus1 at isp0: 16 targets, initiator 7
> isp0: Request Queue Transfer Error
> isp0: board type 1020A rev 0x0, loaded firmware rev 1.37.0
> --- END ---
>
> When I removed the board, the system booted with no problem. So I
> dusted the board off, re-installed it and tried again. The message
> reappeared.
>
> (1) Is there a means to circumvent this interruption whilst leaving
> the board installed?
>
> (2) Is the board (a) defective, (b) simply not supported, or (c) have
> I inadvertently discovered some strange problem?
>
> Some background information. Previously I was playing with NetBSD
> (4.something) on this system and the board was present. The system
> never complained, although I do not recall trying to _use_ the board
> with a wide-SCSI device. Since this will soon be my only system able
> to connect to my wide-SCSI devices, I would like to retrieve this
> functionality.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Alex

Hi Alex,

At the boot prompt type  boot -c

This will get you to the User Kernel Config UKC> prompt
(see http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BootConfig )

you could then try disable isp followed by exit and see if that lets you
boot with card installed.

A full dmesg with board in might allow someone with more knowledge than
me to give you a clue as to if the board is b0rked...

hth

Fred