SMS from OpenBSD

Tomas-7
Hi list,

I was wondering is there any way to send SMS messages from OpenBSD OS?
May be there is any program to do such task?

Re: SMS from OpenBSD

Simon Slaytor
Tomas wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I was wondering is there any way to send SMS messages from OpenBSD OS?
> May be there is any program to do such task?

I use QPAGE on 3.6 (yes I know) and it works very well, although it uses
an older style TAP gateway via a modem as its transport so if your
looking for 'internet' sms it's not for you.

Re: SMS from OpenBSD

Alexander Farber
Try comms/gnokii from ports?

http://preferans.de

Re: SMS from OpenBSD

Clint Pachl
Tomas wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I was wondering is there any way to send SMS messages from OpenBSD OS?
> May be there is any program to do such task?

You could use Google's online SMS service. It's not directly from your
OBSD box, but it can get the job done. Here are a couple of scripts I
wrote a long time ago for someone, which do not currently work because
Google has changed the URL and form variables. Nonetheless, it should
give you some ideas. Google's new SMS service is at
http://www.google.com/sendtophone.

==================================

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby
require 'net/http'
require 'uri'

qs = {
   'carriersms' => 'SPRINT',
   'client' => 'firefox_sms_but',
   'numsms' => '5551234567',
   'msgsms' => STDIN.gets.chomp

}.map { |x,y| x + '=' + URI::encode(y) }.join('&')

Net::HTTP.start('sms.toolbar.google.com') do |http|
   response = http.get("/send/sms?#{qs}")
   # check Net::HTTPResponse & retry if needed
end

==================================

(the shell script below uses FBSD's ``fetch''; you would need to find an
equivalent command in OBSD.)

#!/bin/sh
sms="http://sms.toolbar.google.com/send/sms"
num='5551234567' # 10 digit phone num
car='SPRINT'     # Select your carrier
msg=`cat`        # read stdin
tmp=`mktemp /tmp/request.XXXXX`

fetch -qaw3 -o $tmp
"${sms}?client=firefox_sms_but&numsms=${num}&carriersms=${car}&msgsms=${msg}"
rm -f $tmp

==================================

The scripts read stdin, so you could do something like this:
$ sh sms.sh < message

I believe a newline, encountered in your error message, will truncate
your message prematurely.

Here are the list of carriers (there are many more now, just read the
HTML source at http://www.google.com/sendtophone):
ALLTEL|ATT|CELLULARONE|CINGULAR|NEXTEL
OMNIPOINT|QWEST|SPRINT|TMOBILE|VERIZON|VIRGIN

One last consideration, make sure you don't send sensitive data over
this unencrypted transmission.

-pachl

Re: SMS from OpenBSD

L. V. Lammert
At 02:57 AM 8/18/2006 -0700, Clint Pachl wrote:
>Tomas wrote:
>>Hi list,
>>I was wondering is there any way to send SMS messages from OpenBSD OS?
>>May be there is any program to do such task?
>
>You could use Google's online SMS service.

FYI, most phone providers (we have used Verizon for years) have *direct*
SMS gateways to their phones and will do SMS for you. You can either use an
email alias on your domain (e.g. page@<your domain> aliased as follows), or
the direct phone email address (e.g. <cell phone number>@vtext.com).

         Lee

Re: SMS from OpenBSD

Joost Bijl
> I was wondering is there any way to send SMS messages from OpenBSD OS?
> May be there is any program to do such task?

i use this: http://smstools.meinemullemaus.de/ in combination with a
few Siemens TC35's and it works like a charm. Very reliable and
reasonibly easy to setup.

Joost

Re: SMS from OpenBSD

Sam Chill
On 8/18/06, Tomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I was wondering is there any way to send SMS messages from OpenBSD OS?
> May be there is any program to do such task?
Many cell phone providers provide an email address that sends a SMS to
phone. Verizon Wireless, here in the U.S., for example uses
[hidden email]. This makes it very easy to send text messages
to phones. You could look up the email addresses for other majors
providers and see if this will work for you.