SIP on OpenBSD

Karel Kulhavy
Did anyone succeed in installing any SIP client on OpenBSD?

CL<

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
In my opinion, if you could install asterisk+zaptel+libpri in openbsd, then I could not see any
reason why you cannot get SIP running on it.

> Did anyone succeed in installing any SIP client on OpenBSD?
>
> CL<

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Claudio Jeker
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:57:20AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> In my opinion, if you could install asterisk+zaptel+libpri in openbsd,
> then I could not see any reason why you cannot get SIP running on it.
>
> > Did anyone succeed in installing any SIP client on OpenBSD?

The only problem is that we don't support zaptel. It is an incredible ugly
interface that only works with the digium cards that are not supported.

:wq Claudio

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Lars Hansson
Claudio Jeker wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:57:20AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>> In my opinion, if you could install asterisk+zaptel+libpri in openbsd,
>> then I could not see any reason why you cannot get SIP running on it.
>>
>>> Did anyone succeed in installing any SIP client on OpenBSD?
>>>

> The only problem is that we don't support zaptel. It is an incredible ugly
> interface that only works with the digium cards that are not supported.

Also, the OP asked for a SIP client, not a about running a SIP server.
AFAIk there are no SIP clients in the ports tree.

---
Lars Hansson

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk be installed. Hence, no chance for
any SIP protocol to work. But in case you want to get SIP running on the BSDs, I suggest you go
over to FreeBSD.

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:57:20AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>> In my opinion, if you could install asterisk+zaptel+libpri in openbsd,
>> then I could not see any reason why you cannot get SIP running on it.
>>
>> > Did anyone succeed in installing any SIP client on OpenBSD?
>> >

> The only problem is that we don't support zaptel. It is an incredible ugly
> interface that only works with the digium cards that are not supported.

> :wq Claudio

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
Unless zaptel is supported under the OpenbSD platform, then there is no way you can get sip
protocol run on OpenBSD platform. I have read in the digium mailing lists that work is on the way
in transferring the success of digium-based cards to either the NetBSD/OpenBSD.

>>Claudio Jeker wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:57:20AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> In my opinion, if you could install asterisk+zaptel+libpri in openbsd,
>>> then I could not see any reason why you cannot get SIP running on it.

>> The only problem is that we don't support zaptel. It is an incredible ugly
>> interface that only works with the digium cards that are not supported.
>>

> Also, the OP asked for a SIP client, not a about running a SIP server.
> AFAIk there are no SIP clients in the ports tree.
>
> ---
> Lars Hansson

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Claudio Jeker
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:39:59AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk be
> installed. Hence, no chance for any SIP protocol to work. But in case
> you want to get SIP running on the BSDs, I suggest you go over to
> FreeBSD.

You still can use asterisk on OpenBSD as SIP registrar with enhanced
features. The only thing that does not work is using Asterisk as a VoIP
gateway to PoTS.

:wq Claudio

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Paul de Weerd
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:39:59AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
| If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk be installed.
Hence, no chance for
| any SIP protocol to work. But in case you want to get SIP running on the
BSDs, I suggest you go
| over to FreeBSD.

I've been running a PBX with Asterisk and OpenBSD for quite some time
now. I'm very happy with the resulting uptime and functionality. I've
used an IAX softphone (LoudHush, MacOSX payware) and a few hardware
SIP phones. It connects to a SIP provider in the Netherlands to
connect to the rest of the world. No zaptel in my (sparc64) machine.

I would also like a softphone (preferably IAX based, but SIP would be
fine too I suppose) in the OpenBSD ports tree, but not having one does
not make Asterisk on OpenBSD useless.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Lars Hansson
[hidden email] wrote:
> Unless zaptel is supported under the OpenbSD platform, then there is no way you can get sip
> protocol run on OpenBSD platform.

There are software SIP clients, you know. Like Ekiga, KCall, KPhone etc.
It's just that no one as ported them yet.
SIP has NOTHING to do with zaptel and both Asterisk and SER are in the
ports tree. zaptel is only required if you want to use digium cards to
interface with a PBX or similar.

---
Lars Hansson

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
I don't know for sure how you did it. But I been working with Asterisk+Zaptel+Libpri here in UK
both for personnal and commercial VOIP applications. My success so far on the BSDs is with FreeBSD
and never had any single damn problem. I have and reviewed the specs of digium over and over again
that zaptel is the device driver for the NIC card that talks to the kernel. If you claimed that
you made OpenBSD run asterisk, then that is something worthwhile to talk about. But as I could
see, your setup is making your machine connecting to some other machine elsewhere. Well, in my
opinion it would be nice if one could put zaptel+libpri+asterisk under one box just as a typical
pabx.

FYI, I do not used softphones and I prefer hardphones.

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:39:59AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> | If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk be installed. Hence, no chance for
> | any SIP protocol to work. But in case you want to get SIP running on the BSDs, I suggest you go
> | over to FreeBSD.
>
> I've been running a PBX with Asterisk and OpenBSD for quite some time
> now. I'm very happy with the resulting uptime and functionality. I've
> used an IAX softphone (LoudHush, MacOSX payware) and a few hardware
> SIP phones. It connects to a SIP provider in the Netherlands to
> connect to the rest of the world. No zaptel in my (sparc64) machine.
>
> I would also like a softphone (preferably IAX based, but SIP would be
> fine too I suppose) in the OpenBSD ports tree, but not having one does
> not make Asterisk on OpenBSD useless.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
>
> --
>>++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
> +++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
>                  http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
Well we have different experience and approaches. I want a VOIP PABX and I find it easier to play
with voip telephony system if I have all what is listed as requirements on the asterisk website.

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Unless zaptel is supported under the OpenbSD platform, then there is no way you can get sip
>> protocol run on OpenBSD platform.
>
> There are software SIP clients, you know. Like Ekiga, KCall, KPhone etc.
> It's just that no one as ported them yet.
> SIP has NOTHING to do with zaptel and both Asterisk and SER are in the
> ports tree. zaptel is only required if you want to use digium cards to
> interface with a PBX or similar.
>
> ---
> Lars Hansson

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

On 2007/02/13 10:39, [hidden email] wrote:
> If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk
> be installed.

pkg_add works nicely for me...

1.2.15 is in -current ports for the upcoming release,
1.4.whatever-it-is-then is planned for sometime after ports
unlocks after the release.

The port maintainer doesn't have any plans to port the zaptel
kernel pieces to OpenBSD.

Asterisk has some soundcard channel, which could theoretically
be used to make a softphone (you can send a dial command from the
CLI), but I never tried it, it is most likely linux-specific
(portability does not appear to be a primary concern of Asterisk,
though it's a lot better than it used to be) though it may be an
easier target than the usual softphones since * mostly works.

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Lars Hansson
[hidden email] wrote:
> that zaptel is the device driver for the NIC card that talks to the kernel.

No, it's the device driver/API for telephony (Digium and Tormenta)
cards, not NIC cards.

> If you claimed that
> you made OpenBSD run asterisk, then that is something worthwhile to talk about.

It's not a claim, it's a fact. It's in the ports tree and it works.

> But as I could
> see, your setup is making your machine connecting to some other machine elsewhere.

That's what most VOIP systems do. Would be pretty pointless if it didnt
communicate with other VOIP systems.

> Well, in my
> opinion it would be nice if one could put zaptel+libpri+asterisk under one box just as a typical
> pabx.

And indeed the *only* thing missing on OpenBSD is the ability to
interface directly with an *existing* non-VOIP PBX or non-VOIP phones.
You can design and implement a perfectly functioning VOIP PBX on OpenBSD
as long as you don't need the OpenBSD box to interface directly with a
traditional PBX or telephone.

> FYI, I do not used softphones and I prefer hardphones.

It's of no relevance, both works with Asterisk (and SER) on OpenBSD.

---
Lars Hansson

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Jonathan Gray
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:39:59AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk be installed. Hence, no chance for
> any SIP protocol to work. But in case you want to get SIP running on the BSDs, I suggest you go
> over to FreeBSD.

I'm guessing no one advocating using asterisk or zaptel interfaces
has read any of the code, the zaptel driver in particular is really
gross in addition to the problems associated with the design of
the hardware.

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Shohrukh Shoyoqubov
It seems that you are not understanding * architecture well.

As I know zaptel is required for analog FXO/FXS cards from digium and
libpri for T1/E1 cards. But they have nothing to do with VoIP, which is
SIP, IAX ...

I have never ran asterisk on OBSD, but I believe it works (I mean
asterisk only, no zaptel and libpri)

Shohrukh

[hidden email] wrote:

> I don't know for sure how you did it. But I been working with Asterisk+Zaptel+Libpri here in UK
> both for personnal and commercial VOIP applications. My success so far on the BSDs is with FreeBSD
> and never had any single damn problem. I have and reviewed the specs of digium over and over again
> that zaptel is the device driver for the NIC card that talks to the kernel. If you claimed that
> you made OpenBSD run asterisk, then that is something worthwhile to talk about. But as I could
> see, your setup is making your machine connecting to some other machine elsewhere. Well, in my
> opinion it would be nice if one could put zaptel+libpri+asterisk under one box just as a typical
> pabx.
>
> FYI, I do not used softphones and I prefer hardphones.
>

>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:39:59AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>> | If zaptel won't work in openbsd, there is no way for asterisk be installed. Hence, no chance for
>> | any SIP protocol to work. But in case you want to get SIP running on the BSDs, I suggest you go
>> | over to FreeBSD.
>>
>> I've been running a PBX with Asterisk and OpenBSD for quite some time
>> now. I'm very happy with the resulting uptime and functionality. I've
>> used an IAX softphone (LoudHush, MacOSX payware) and a few hardware
>> SIP phones. It connects to a SIP provider in the Netherlands to
>> connect to the rest of the world. No zaptel in my (sparc64) machine.
>>
>> I would also like a softphone (preferably IAX based, but SIP would be
>> fine too I suppose) in the OpenBSD ports tree, but not having one does
>> not make Asterisk on OpenBSD useless.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
>>
>> --
>>
>>> ++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
>>>
>> +++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
>>                  http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
I would rather design a PABX that could interface with existing non VOIP PABX at all. Again, this
is about preference not advocacy.

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> that zaptel is the device driver for the NIC card that talks to the kernel.
>
> No, it's the device driver/API for telephony (Digium and Tormenta)
> cards, not NIC cards.
>
>> If you claimed that
>> you made OpenBSD run asterisk, then that is something worthwhile to talk about.
>
> It's not a claim, it's a fact. It's in the ports tree and it works.
>
>> But as I could
>> see, your setup is making your machine connecting to some other machine elsewhere.
>
> That's what most VOIP systems do. Would be pretty pointless if it didnt
> communicate with other VOIP systems.
>
>> Well, in my
>> opinion it would be nice if one could put zaptel+libpri+asterisk under one box just as a typical
>> pabx.
>
> And indeed the *only* thing missing on OpenBSD is the ability to
> interface directly with an *existing* non-VOIP PBX or non-VOIP phones.
> You can design and implement a perfectly functioning VOIP PBX on OpenBSD
> as long as you don't need the OpenBSD box to interface directly with a
> traditional PBX or telephone.
>
>> FYI, I do not used softphones and I prefer hardphones.
>
> It's of no relevance, both works with Asterisk (and SER) on OpenBSD.
>
> ---
> Lars Hansson

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

demuel
It works if you intend that machine as VOIP only. But I don't think without zaptel/libpri, you can
connect it to existing PABX or PSTN.

> It seems that you are not understanding * architecture well.
>
> As I know zaptel is required for analog FXO/FXS cards from digium and
> libpri for T1/E1 cards. But they have nothing to do with VoIP, which is
> SIP, IAX ...
>
> I have never ran asterisk on OBSD, but I believe it works (I mean
> asterisk only, no zaptel and libpri)
>
> Shohrukh
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> I don't know for sure how you did it. But I been working with Asterisk+Zaptel+Libpri here in UK
>> both for personnal and commercial VOIP applications. My success so far on the BSDs is with
>> FreeBSD
>> and never had any single damn problem. I have and reviewed the specs of digium over and over
>> again
>> that zaptel is the device driver for the NIC card that talks to the kernel. If you claimed that
>> you made OpenBSD run asterisk, then that is something worthwhile to talk about. But as I could
>> see, your setup is making your machine connecting to some other machine elsewhere. Well, in my
>> opinion it would be nice if one could put zaptel+libpri+asterisk under one box just as a typical
>> pabx.
>>
>> FYI, I do not used softphones and I prefer hardphones.

>>> for
>>> go
>>>
>>> I've been running a PBX with Asterisk and OpenBSD for quite some time
>>> now. I'm very happy with the resulting uptime and functionality. I've
>>> used an IAX softphone (LoudHush, MacOSX payware) and a few hardware
>>> SIP phones. It connects to a SIP provider in the Netherlands to
>>> connect to the rest of the world. No zaptel in my (sparc64) machine.
>>>
>>> I would also like a softphone (preferably IAX based, but SIP would be
>>> fine too I suppose) in the OpenBSD ports tree, but not having one does
>>> not make Asterisk on OpenBSD useless.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
>>>
>>> --

>>> +++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
>>>                  http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Jacob Yocom-Piatt
[hidden email] wrote:
> I would rather design a PABX that could interface with existing non VOIP PABX at all. Again, this
> is about preference not advocacy.

that's why your posting your FUD on-list, eh? asterisk + SPA-3000 +
openbsd works fine for me.

it's on TV, but it's not a commercial, i just want you to buy what i'm
selling.

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

Karel Kulhavy
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:53:04AM +0100, Alessio Cappelli wrote:
> Hi, did you know about OpenPBX?

PBX==Private Branch Exchange. I want a SIP phone, not a SIP exchange.
Or is it possible to use OpenPBX as a phone, too?

Someone also mentioned Asterisk can be used as a phone, but I didn't
find anything in the Asterisk doc, also nothing in the Asterisk
commandline help.

CL<

> Alessio
>
> Karel Kulhavy ha scritto:
> >Did anyone succeed in installing any SIP client on OpenBSD?
> >
> >CL<

Re: SIP on OpenBSD

robert j. wozny
Lars Hansson <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Unless zaptel is supported under the OpenbSD platform, then there is no way you can get sip
>> protocol run on OpenBSD platform.
> There are software SIP clients, you know. Like Ekiga, KCall, KPhone
> etc. It's just that no one as ported them yet.
> SIP has NOTHING to do with zaptel and both Asterisk and SER are in the
> ports tree. zaptel is only required if you want to use digium cards to
> interface with a PBX or similar.

  or you need meetme application (wihin asterisk/openpbx)

-- r.

12