SAS HBA Recommendations?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SAS HBA Recommendations?

Sam Vaughan
To complement the man pages, the supported hardware pages and what  
I've found in the archives on marc, I'd be interested to read any SAS  
HBA recommendations people might have.

I'm looking at some used Sun x4150 servers which have 8-lane PCIe  
slots but come with no built-in SAS/SATA controller.  I'd be  
interested in running RAID 10 with a hot spare and I'd like to make  
use of an OpenBSD driver that supports bioctl.  (I'm assuming OpenBSD  
runs on x4150s - the armorlogic site only lists Opteron Galaxy servers)

I'm also curious about why vastly more RAID controllers are supported  
in the i386 port than the amd64 port.  Is this because a lot of them  
aren't 64bit clean?  Do some people as a result choose to run the  
i386 port on em64t hardware?

Sam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SAS HBA Recommendations?

Marco Peereboom
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 04:21:03PM +1000, Sam Vaughan wrote:
> To complement the man pages, the supported hardware pages and what I've
> found in the archives on marc, I'd be interested to read any SAS HBA
> recommendations people might have.

LSI MPT.

> I'm looking at some used Sun x4150 servers which have 8-lane PCIe slots
> but come with no built-in SAS/SATA controller.  I'd be interested in
> running RAID 10 with a hot spare and I'd like to make use of an OpenBSD
> driver that supports bioctl.  (I'm assuming OpenBSD runs on x4150s - the
> armorlogic site only lists Opteron Galaxy servers)

LSI MFI adapters are nice.

> I'm also curious about why vastly more RAID controllers are supported in
> the i386 port than the amd64 port.  Is this because a lot of them aren't
> 64bit clean?  Do some people as a result choose to run the i386 port on
> em64t hardware?

I don't know of any raid driver that doesn't work on amd64 that does
work on i386.

>
> Sam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SAS HBA Recommendations?

Sam Vaughan
On 16/04/2009, at 10:03 PM, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 04:21:03PM +1000, Sam Vaughan wrote:
>> To complement the man pages, the supported hardware pages and what  
>> I've
>> found in the archives on marc, I'd be interested to read any SAS HBA
>> recommendations people might have.
>
> LSI MPT.
>
>> I'm looking at some used Sun x4150 servers which have 8-lane PCIe  
>> slots
>> but come with no built-in SAS/SATA controller.  I'd be interested in
>> running RAID 10 with a hot spare and I'd like to make use of an  
>> OpenBSD
>> driver that supports bioctl.  (I'm assuming OpenBSD runs on x4150s  
>> - the
>> armorlogic site only lists Opteron Galaxy servers)
>
> LSI MFI adapters are nice.

Thanks Marco,

So now that you've added bioctl support to mpi in 4.5, is there no  
real reason to preferentially choose a MegaRAID card over a Fusion  
MPT card, other than by price and features?

I really appreciate the work you guys have done to bring all this  
great SAS support to OpenBSD.

Sam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SAS HBA Recommendations?

Marco Peereboom
That's right.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:48:49AM +1000, Sam Vaughan wrote:

> On 16/04/2009, at 10:03 PM, Marco Peereboom wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 04:21:03PM +1000, Sam Vaughan wrote:
>>> To complement the man pages, the supported hardware pages and what  
>>> I've
>>> found in the archives on marc, I'd be interested to read any SAS HBA
>>> recommendations people might have.
>>
>> LSI MPT.
>>
>>> I'm looking at some used Sun x4150 servers which have 8-lane PCIe  
>>> slots
>>> but come with no built-in SAS/SATA controller.  I'd be interested in
>>> running RAID 10 with a hot spare and I'd like to make use of an  
>>> OpenBSD
>>> driver that supports bioctl.  (I'm assuming OpenBSD runs on x4150s -
>>> the
>>> armorlogic site only lists Opteron Galaxy servers)
>>
>> LSI MFI adapters are nice.
>
> Thanks Marco,
>
> So now that you've added bioctl support to mpi in 4.5, is there no real
> reason to preferentially choose a MegaRAID card over a Fusion MPT card,
> other than by price and features?
>
> I really appreciate the work you guys have done to bring all this great
> SAS support to OpenBSD.
>
> Sam