Running your own mail server

Ken MacKenzie
Just curious how many of you use openbsd to run your own personal email server?
Do you find it a hassle to manage in any way?

I know openbsd is perfectly fine for a mail server, don't get me wrong the
question is more about is it worth it to do yourself. Specifically I will
probably be doing it through a guest on vultr.

Back story my family all has email addresses through the domain I have. Which
basically will forward to a gmail account. The kids accounts don't really
forward anywhere, they are place holders I guess. But they are getting old
enough to use their own accounts for things and not just through the school
which sets them up with google accounts to use through their chromebook.

So my wife really doesn't like the idea of setting them loose on their own email
accounts, and I don't necessarily disagree with her, but I disagree on the way
to do it. In a gmail point of view all I can think of is shared passwords for
for the kids. I don't like that because first of all they could change it,
second of all monitoring their email means literally reading their email.

My wife and I have different views on privacy as well.

I was thinking I could run my own email server to give them accounts there, and
at the same time instead of reading their email be able to more specifically
block certain senders, but also to scan the email for troubling words. In my
mind that is things like suicide, kill, etc.

So I guess the end question, is for protecting the email of minors is running my
own email server, when I have never done it before on any OS, worth it over some
other solution. And yes I am very open to other suggestions for a solution, even
if it is something I have to pay for, to avoid sharing passwords or grotesque
privacy infringement of literally reading all their emails.

Welcome to differences of opinion as well.  Thank you.

Ken

Re: Running your own mail server

Jay Hart-2
Ken,

I've run my own email server for 15 years now I think. I stick with Linux for email server,
OpenBSD for routing/firewall. I personally find this is the best of both worlds...

Just my 35 cents...

Jay

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 11:32:00AM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> Ken,
>
> I've run my own email server for 15 years now I think. I stick with Linux for email server,
> OpenBSD for routing/firewall. I personally find this is the best of both worlds...
>
> Just my 35 cents...
>
> Jay

Dare I ask, is there a specific technical reason for using Linux as your email
server. I ask as I already run a Debian web server on Digital Ocean.

Ken

Re: Running your own mail server

Kaya Saman-2
I agree here!

Basically you would need a few components:

MTA / MDA / MUA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_transfer_agent

One way to do it would be something like: Postfix / Courier IMAP / Then
bolt something like SquirrelMail on top for web UI client

There are many ways to achieve the same goal as in you don't have to use
Postfix you could go for Sendmail or any other....

However for you it might be a better option to go with Linux as @Jay
suggested and then whack something like Scalix or Zimbra on top......

http://www.scalix.com/en/

https://www.zimbra.com/

That way you have a fully managed mail system right out of the box with
granular control of what users can and can't do.....

Regards,

Kaya

On 9/8/18 4:32 PM, Jay Hart wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I've run my own email server for 15 years now I think. I stick with Linux for email server,
> OpenBSD for routing/firewall. I personally find this is the best of both worlds...
>
> Just my 35 cents...
>
> Jay
>
>> Just curious how many of you use openbsd to run your own personal email server?
>> Do you find it a hassle to manage in any way?
>>
>> I know openbsd is perfectly fine for a mail server, don't get me wrong the
>> question is more about is it worth it to do yourself. Specifically I will
>> probably be doing it through a guest on vultr.
>>
>> Back story my family all has email addresses through the domain I have. Which
>> basically will forward to a gmail account. The kids accounts don't really
>> forward anywhere, they are place holders I guess. But they are getting old
>> enough to use their own accounts for things and not just through the school
>> which sets them up with google accounts to use through their chromebook.
>>
>> So my wife really doesn't like the idea of setting them loose on their own email
>> accounts, and I don't necessarily disagree with her, but I disagree on the way
>> to do it. In a gmail point of view all I can think of is shared passwords for
>> for the kids. I don't like that because first of all they could change it,
>> second of all monitoring their email means literally reading their email.
>>
>> My wife and I have different views on privacy as well.
>>
>> I was thinking I could run my own email server to give them accounts there, and
>> at the same time instead of reading their email be able to more specifically
>> block certain senders, but also to scan the email for troubling words. In my
>> mind that is things like suicide, kill, etc.
>>
>> So I guess the end question, is for protecting the email of minors is running my
>> own email server, when I have never done it before on any OS, worth it over some
>> other solution. And yes I am very open to other suggestions for a solution, even
>> if it is something I have to pay for, to avoid sharing passwords or grotesque
>> privacy infringement of literally reading all their emails.
>>
>> Welcome to differences of opinion as well.  Thank you.
>>
>> Ken

Re: Running your own mail server

Jay Hart-2
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 11:32:00AM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
>> Ken,
>>
>> I've run my own email server for 15 years now I think. I stick with Linux for email server,
>> OpenBSD for routing/firewall. I personally find this is the best of both worlds...
>>
>> Just my 35 cents...
>>
>> Jay
>>

> Dare I ask, is there a specific technical reason for using Linux as your email
> server. I ask as I already run a Debian web server on Digital Ocean.
>
> Ken

Main "technical reason" would be not all my eggs in one basket (ie box).

Re: Running your own mail server

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
On 09/08/18 17:23, Ken M wrote:
> Just curious how many of you use openbsd to run your own personal email server?

I've been running my personal domains on OpenBSD for a number of years.
So have I suspect a largish subset of the readership here, but I have no
idea how many will actually come forward and say so in public.

> Do you find it a hassle to manage in any way?

If anything I find running everything on OpenBSD makes for less hassle
than most other options, because the system is so consistently sane.
That said, I've had other systems in the mix for various reasons at
various times for places I've worked, but I go for all-OpenBSD setups
whenever feasible.

> So I guess the end question, is for protecting the email of minors is running my
> own email server, when I have never done it before on any OS, worth it over some
> other solution. And yes I am very open to other suggestions for a solution, even
> if it is something I have to pay for, to avoid sharing passwords or grotesque
> privacy infringement of literally reading all their emails.

If you've never run a mail server before but are familiar with OpenBSD,
please do go the OpenBSD route.

Setting up and running a mail service involves learning a few skills. If
you already manage DNS for your domain(s) I suppose you have a head start.

Anything that comes as part of OpenBSD or packaged for OpenBSD will come
with sensible defaults. Please do yourself and the rest of the world a
favor and read up properly on the effects of anything you do change. A
lot of stuff that appears on the face of it to be trivial actually isn't.

I've written quite a few pieces on mail and related topics on the blog
(the first URL in the signature) and of course The Book of PF touches on
the issue as well, at least the spamd(8) parts. I suppose the "Effective
Spam and Malware Countermeasures"
(https://bsdly.blogspot.com/2014/02/effective-spam-and-malware.html)
piece is a goodish place to start.

For anyone setting up a mail server these days there are worse things to
do than read Aaron Poffenberger's SMTPd mail server tutorial slides and
some related materials
(https://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/691.en.html and links therein).

- Peter

Re: Running your own mail server

Paco Esteban
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018, Ken M wrote:

> Just curious how many of you use openbsd to run your own personal email server?
> Do you find it a hassle to manage in any way?

I've managed my personal domain on and off over the years (not at the
moment, but that will change again later this year). I've used Debian,
FreeBSD and OpenBSD. By far the easiest setup is OpenBSD in my opinion.

OpenSMTPd + spamd and add spamassassin and dovecot to the mix and you
have a pretty good solution. Using sieve with dovecot you can even
filter email before it get's delivered to mailboxes if you need to.

That said, the biggest challenge when self hosting email is not on the
OS or programs you use, but on the fact of spam. Keeping spam away is
not difficult but requires some work (take a look at P. Hansteen's blog.
He does an amazing job explaining this sort of things).

Another challenge is be sure your mx hosts are "reputable". Meaning they
don't get up on any blacklist over there (a lot of admins use them on
their smtps ... which I think is madness ... but anyway). This can be
because of the ip you get assigned on your vm is reused by an spammer or
a million other reasons. Get your emails delivered can be a problem
sometimes.

And maybe another problem you may encounter is reliability. You should
have at least 2 mx hosts. Thet involves a bit of work (on OpenBSD keep
spamd in sync between hosts and other stuff ...). Basically be sure you
can rely on your setup. If somebody sends you an email you'll get it.

I hope it helps.

--
Paco Esteban.
GnuPG key: https://onna.be/44CA735E.asc

Re: Running your own mail server

lists-2
Sat, 8 Sep 2018 16:39:52 +0100 Kaya Saman <[hidden email]>
> I agree here!
> [snip]
> That way you have a fully managed mail system right out of the box with

Hi misc,

Fully managed and VPS are incompatible.  Also incompatible are: remote
infrastructure and turnkey solutions without complete control of bits.

They are remote flawed products and services with some tweaks & knobs.

This thread seems like a poor imitation of virtual server comparisons.
I see no mention of OpenBSD and the software related to OpenBSD here..

I'd be really interested to read "running OpenBSD as our mail server".

Kind regards,
Anton Lazarov

Re: Running your own mail server

Chris Bennett-4
I have to absolutely agree that OpenBSD using OpenSMTPD is "the right
solution" for this problem.
It's secure and after a little bit of learning, not hard to use.

Spamd is pretty effective for most spam. Not perfect, but what is
now-a-days?
You can monitor both sent and received emails.

The delivery part raises the exact same questions for whatever you use,
but dovecot is excellent and can work with whatever email programs
you/they want to use on what devices.

As far as privacy, others can give you help with that and scanning
incoming and outgoing emails.
Personally, I would send a copy to another user and scan without
actually reading them yourself unless a "red light" shows up.
That can be accomplished pretty easily and I did that myself when I had
a set of mailing list emails processed before a script posted them to a
forum board of received emails.

i.e in from user joe, forwarded to joe2 and then scanning is done.

IMHO, I would skip using partially insecure OS's like Linux. These are
your kids!

Chris Bennett

On 9/8/18 6:01 PM, Chris Bennett wrote:
> [snip]
>
> IMHO, I would skip using partially insecure OS's like Linux. These are
> your kids!

Of course security at the OS level is important but also a lot of work
must be done around in the infrastructure area too for security...
running a good IDS for example: OpenBSD with Snort totally rocks in this
area.... going through a web proxy... again OpenBSD with Squid and Clamd.

Additionally perhaps a VPN to whatever mail solution the OP chooses if
'in house' like OpenVPN running on an OBSD gateway for example then lock
down the mail system to just have port 25 open inbound in PF maybe even
with queueing enabled.

Encryption of the storage medium can also be suggested so wherever the
maildir store is located the FS becomes encrypted as added layer of
security.

There's a lot one can do even just by sticking to a few OpenBSD based
boxes but it really is a matter of locking things down as opposed to
doing something silly.... even OpenBSD will become insecure if port 22
(ssh) is opened up with root account available and password something
easily guessed like 'root' or 'admin'.

It's not really a short topic that has one specific answer but I will
state that OpenBSD for router/gateways and servers is an excellent
solution as unlike other OS's is not resource intensive and overall
pretty secure right out of the box.

--K

Re: Running your own mail server

jungle Boogie
Hi all,

Just a general question about openbsd...

I understand smtpd is in base for sending mail. Then we also have spam.
Both very neat and useful!

Is there a particular reason there is not a mail receiving agent in base?
Are the existing one sufficient enough for devs and there isn't enough
desire to write one?

Ken,

Just curious, are you using pf to filter out the bad websites for you kids?
I find that to be more challenging for our older daughter to not stumble
into the bad stuff and not the wholesome sites like openbsd.org, which
happens to be her homepage. ;)

Best,
J. B.

On 09/08/18 19:55, jungle Boogie wrote:
> Just a general question about openbsd...
>
> I understand smtpd is in base for sending mail. Then we also have spam.
> Both very neat and useful!
>
> Is there a particular reason there is not a mail receiving agent in base?

You're joking, right?

man smtpd and references therein. There are also pointers in this thread
to running a full featured mail server on OpenBSD with smtpd from base.

Re: Running your own mail server

Zbyszek Żółkiewski

> Wiadomość napisana przez Ken M <[hidden email]> w dniu 08.09.2018, o godz. 17:23:
>
> Just curious how many of you use openbsd to run your own personal email server?

another here - running my own server since long time (OpenBSD). If you choose dovecot you can nicely encrypt backend store mails:

https://blog.onefellow.com/post/167267172603/server-side-email-encryption-with-dovecot

and keep private key safe:

https://blog.onefellow.com/post/173796677183/how-to-obfuscate-dovecot-encryption-key

good luck!

_
Zbyszek Żółkiewski

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 10:55:40AM -0700, jungle Boogie wrote:
> Ken,
>
> Just curious, are you using pf to filter out the bad websites for you kids?
> I find that to be more challenging for our older daughter to not stumble
> into the bad stuff and not the wholesome sites like openbsd.org, which
> happens to be her homepage. ;)
>
> Best,
> J. B.

So when computer usage for them first became something to talk about here they
had only kindles that only connect to our wifi. Kindles are pretty good out of
the box for parental controls. For the main workstation in the house (usually
linux) that they can access I used Dan's Guardian.

Overtime, they got older and so many more devices are in play, from android
phones to chromebooks. Our home uses opendns, set at the router. Granted easy
enough to bypass but my kids aren't there yet. On the android side we have
verizon so we use the verizon family settings.

I don't consider any of this ideal but it is the best I got so far without
having to spend all my time administrating things on the home network. I opt for
a mixture of what I got and keeping the kids believing that my computer skills
are that that I can see what they do no matter what. Which is mostly true but I
don't practice that. Also if asked to unlock their devices for us to see
something they know they are to do it without question or delay or they lose
said device.

The difficult part of all this and why I asked this here. My wife and I have
different philosophies on such things. Example she would put the kids in a damn
plastic bubble, meanwhile I am the type that believes that our job is not to
protect them from everything but to teach them to protect themselves and make
good decisions as we won't always be there. My wife is on the religious right
side of the room politics wise and I am more of the libertarian.

Sorry to digress but I asked these things here as I figure others here have
similar mindset on security vs censorship vs privacy. I don't view them as
mutually exclusive but there are ways that I try to avoid that strengthen one by
compromising the other. As my kids enter their teenage years I know they will
find a way to subvert such controls and the more I try to stop them from doing
so the harder it will get when they do and the more likely they are to not trust
us to bring us a problem they have. In short I am more worried about my kids
feeling they have to hide everything that they don't bring something important
to us to talk about, than I am about them sneaking something by me.

Ken

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 05:54:18PM +0200, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

> On 09/08/18 17:23, Ken M wrote:
>
> If you've never run a mail server before but are familiar with OpenBSD,
> please do go the OpenBSD route.
>
> Setting up and running a mail service involves learning a few skills. If
> you already manage DNS for your domain(s) I suppose you have a head start.
>
> Anything that comes as part of OpenBSD or packaged for OpenBSD will come
> with sensible defaults. Please do yourself and the rest of the world a
> favor and read up properly on the effects of anything you do change. A
> lot of stuff that appears on the face of it to be trivial actually isn't.
>
> I've written quite a few pieces on mail and related topics on the blog
> (the first URL in the signature) and of course The Book of PF touches on
> the issue as well, at least the spamd(8) parts. I suppose the "Effective
> Spam and Malware Countermeasures"
> (https://bsdly.blogspot.com/2014/02/effective-spam-and-malware.html)
> piece is a goodish place to start.
>
> For anyone setting up a mail server these days there are worse things to
> do than read Aaron Poffenberger's SMTPd mail server tutorial slides and
> some related materials
> (https://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/691.en.html and links therein).
>
> - Peter
>
> --
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

I have never run a mail server before so I know I have a learning curve to work
on, which I was not trying to solve in this email, just to feel out where
similar people have their mindset on this. I do have more experience
administering linux than openbsd but I am slowly working on changing that as I
really appreciate the way openbsd is engineered at all levels.

I am familiar with your blogs so I will read up and when I get to the point of
specific questions I will bring them up here.

Ken

Re: Running your own mail server

Chris Eidem-2
I run an email server for myself on OpenBSD running on Vultr.  OpenBSD, OpenSMTPD, dovecot and Roundcube all run fine on a $5 per month server.

If you want a pre-packaged mail server to avoid any hassle, check out iRedMail.

On September 8, 2018 10:23:35 AM CDT, Ken M <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Just curious how many of you use openbsd to run your own personal email
>server?
>Do you find it a hassle to manage in any way?
>
>I know openbsd is perfectly fine for a mail server, don't get me wrong
>the
>question is more about is it worth it to do yourself. Specifically I
>will
>probably be doing it through a guest on vultr.
>
>Back story my family all has email addresses through the domain I have.
>Which
>basically will forward to a gmail account. The kids accounts don't
>really
>forward anywhere, they are place holders I guess. But they are getting
>old
>enough to use their own accounts for things and not just through the
>school
>which sets them up with google accounts to use through their
>chromebook.
>
>So my wife really doesn't like the idea of setting them loose on their
>own email
>accounts, and I don't necessarily disagree with her, but I disagree on
>the way
>to do it. In a gmail point of view all I can think of is shared
>passwords for
>for the kids. I don't like that because first of all they could change
>it,
>second of all monitoring their email means literally reading their
>email.
>
>My wife and I have different views on privacy as well.
>
>I was thinking I could run my own email server to give them accounts
>there, and
>at the same time instead of reading their email be able to more
>specifically
>block certain senders, but also to scan the email for troubling words.
>In my
>mind that is things like suicide, kill, etc.
>
>So I guess the end question, is for protecting the email of minors is
>running my
>own email server, when I have never done it before on any OS, worth it
>over some
>other solution. And yes I am very open to other suggestions for a
>solution, even
>if it is something I have to pay for, to avoid sharing passwords or
>grotesque
>privacy infringement of literally reading all their emails.
>
>Welcome to differences of opinion as well.  Thank you.
>
>Ken

Re: Running your own mail server

Flipchan
opensmtpd is great! Aliases and alot more goodness

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: Running your own mail server

Friedrich Locke
if you demand for performance, FreeBSD + Qmail-ldap is THE way to go.

my 1 cent.

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 09:22:01PM -0300, Friedrich Locke wrote:
> if you demand for performance, FreeBSD + Qmail-ldap is THE way to go.
>
> my 1 cent.

Performance is a priority, but not my first priority. In fact I think that is
why I have started becoming a convert to openbsd.

Although I do like freebsd for servers as well and linux and what not. Just
lately I have started trying to see if I can OpenBSD all the things I need.

Ken

1234