Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Sean Kamath-5
On Jan 3, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Gene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Bruno Flückiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My personal favorites are the boxes from this small company in Switzerland:
>>
>> http://www.pcengines.ch
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bruno
>>

> The ALIX hardware is incredible.  I own two of the ALIX boards (2d3
> and 2d13), the second one I picked up recently on eBay for $150 with
> case and power supply, I added a CF card for an additional ~$10.  I
> already have a serial cable on hand, but that would be at most another
> $10-$20 to procure.

I second the ALIX board being worthy.  I don't have as many as Mr Shupe, but I have more than a few.

Huh.  That seems like a deal for one of the Netgate versions, but pcengines.ch has the 2d13 board for US$104, case for ~US$9 (but no US Power Adapter. :-().  When I bought mine, they shipped quickly (US$33, though).

Sean

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Anders Arnholm
Sean Kamath skrev 2013-01-04 09:07:
> I second the ALIX board being worthy. I don't have as many as Mr
> Shupe, but I have more than a few. Huh. That seems like a deal for one
> of the Netgate versions, but pcengines.ch has the 2d13 board for
> US$104, case for ~US$9 (but no US Power Adapter. :-(). When I bought
> mine, they shipped quickly (US$33, though). Sean

ALIX boards are something totally different that Pi's to me thou, the Pi
is a ARM development board, and for an arm development boards really
cheep.  Beagle board being the nexxt up compeditor. Most of our
development boards are 10 to 20 times the price and have less power.
That one can actually get a nice development board for home use as well
is nice.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Dan Shechter-2
You have all failed to mention that the ALIX devices come with Swiss
chocolates in the package!
Best regards,
Dan

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM, James Shupe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/3/2013 8:26 PM, Aaron Mason wrote:

>>> Switzerland:

> lists)
>>>>

>>> Alix hardware is great. I just felt the need to share this photo of my
>>> office around this time last year... http://i.imgur.com/c528h.jpg
>>>
>>> --
>>> James Shupe
>>>
>>> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which
> had a name of signature.asc]
>>>

>>  Bugger me that's a whole lotta ALiX... 2d3 or 2d13?
>>

> They're the 2D13 boards, with Kingston CFs. Of all of those, the only
> problems we've had were a few DOA CF cards.
>
> They're running OpenBSD + OpenVPN and serving as VPN "concatenators"
> (that's what we're calling them, anyway.) We have employees working at
> third party locations where we do not maintain control of their
> networks, and need all of our staff's devices -- including network
> printers (that can't run VPN software, obviously,) etc, to appear as
> though they are on our local network. We chose OpenVPN over IPsec
> because of the single port requirement and the fact that most of these
> sites have outbound traffic blocked by default. We run a few server
> instances on the other end, on various common ports to increase the
> chances of success calling home. Each device has between one and six
> desktops behind it, along with one or two Xerox machines, and some other
> junk that has to be brought back to us.
>
> --
> James Shupe
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

James Shupe-4
On 1/4/2013 2:58 PM, Dan Shechter wrote:
> You have all failed to mention that the ALIX devices come with Swiss
> chocolates in the package!
> Best regards,
> Dan

Ours didn't! I was unaware of that! NETGATE?!!

--
James Shupe

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Jonathan Gray-11
On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 03:04:32PM -0600, James Shupe wrote:
> On 1/4/2013 2:58 PM, Dan Shechter wrote:
> > You have all failed to mention that the ALIX devices come with Swiss
> > chocolates in the package!
> > Best regards,
> > Dan
> >

> Ours didn't! I was unaware of that! NETGATE?!!

You should think twice before buying things from people
who are known to be liars:
http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2005-June/011205.html

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Aaron Mason
On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Dan Shechter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You have all failed to mention that the ALIX devices come with Swiss
> chocolates in the package!
> Best regards,
> Dan

I've ordered direct from PCEngines before and never got that.

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM, James Shupe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> lists)

>> had a name of signature.asc]
>>>>

>>>  Bugger me that's a whole lotta ALiX... 2d3 or 2d13?
>>>

>> They're the 2D13 boards, with Kingston CFs. Of all of those, the only
>> problems we've had were a few DOA CF cards.
>>
>> They're running OpenBSD + OpenVPN and serving as VPN "concatenators"
>> (that's what we're calling them, anyway.) We have employees working at
>> third party locations where we do not maintain control of their
>> networks, and need all of our staff's devices -- including network
>> printers (that can't run VPN software, obviously,) etc, to appear as
>> though they are on our local network. We chose OpenVPN over IPsec
>> because of the single port requirement and the fact that most of these
>> sites have outbound traffic blocked by default. We run a few server
>> instances on the other end, on various common ports to increase the
>> chances of success calling home. Each device has between one and six
>> desktops behind it, along with one or two Xerox machines, and some other
>> junk that has to be brought back to us.
>>
>> --
>> James Shupe
>>
>> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Johan Beisser

Perhaps you should ask more pleasantly.

On Jan 4, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Johan Beisser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Aaron Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Dan Shechter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> You have all failed to mention that the ALIX devices come with Swiss
>>> chocolates in the package!
>>>

>> I've ordered direct from PCEngines before and never got that.
>
> Perhaps you should ask more pleasantly.

This just makes me want to order a carp peer for my little firewall. . . And I'll throw in a Pretty-Please-can-I-have-a-chocolate?

Sean

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Sean Kamath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Johan Beisser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I've ordered direct from PCEngines before and never got that.
>>
>> Perhaps you should ask more pleasantly.
>>

> This just makes me want to order a carp peer for my little firewall. . . And I'll throw in a Pretty-Please-can-I-have-a-chocolate?
>
> Sean

I want to order one for this project we were going to connect back to
base using GRE tunnels, but it could be a hard sell to get something
either cheap but from overseas, or local but expensive for what we
get.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Gene-46
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Sean Kamath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Gene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Bruno Flückiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My personal favorites are the boxes from this small company in Switzerland:
>>>
>>> http://www.pcengines.ch
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bruno
>>>

>> The ALIX hardware is incredible.  I own two of the ALIX boards (2d3
>> and 2d13), the second one I picked up recently on eBay for $150 with
>> case and power supply, I added a CF card for an additional ~$10.  I
>> already have a serial cable on hand, but that would be at most another
>> $10-$20 to procure.
>

> I second the ALIX board being worthy.  I don't have as many as Mr Shupe, but I have more than a few.
>
> Huh.  That seems like a deal for one of the Netgate versions, but pcengines.ch has the 2d13 board for US$104, case for ~US$9 (but no US Power Adapter. :-().  When I bought mine, they shipped quickly (US$33, though).
>
> Sean

Right now on eBay: ALIX 2d13 + case + power supply + 1 GB CF card for
$155 (including shipping)

-Gene

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Tor Houghton
Someone mentioned buying a cheap thin client on eBay; while you're at it,
buy a cheap switch that supports Ethernet trunking -- that way you can
cheaply extend your thin client's Ethernet port count (I used a Zyxel 2108 a
while back).

While we're on shoestring infrastructure and budgets, I mean.

Tor

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

bitfrost
2012/12/31 BARDOU Pierre <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> I would be very interested by an OpenBSD port too.
> Usage : home router with firewall, DNS and DHCP.
>
> I am looking into FreeBSD and NetBSD ports, but I would prefer to have the
> latest PF and OpenSSH versions... plus I am more used to OpenBSD and I like
> using it :-)
>
> If somebody knows X86 hardware able to do the same (routing/firewlling 20
> mbps traffic, VLAN, fits in a tiny box, power consumption below 5W, price
> around 50$) as the raspberry I am interested BTW.

I am interested too, can somebody give an advice on what hardware to use?
maybe 5 lan or at least two lan? an below 100?

--
Atentamente

Andrés Genovez Tobar / DTIT
Elastix ECE - Linux  LPI-1 - Novell CLA - Apple ACMT - Mikrotik
MTCNA/MTCTCE/MTCRE/MTCWE
http://www.cspmsa.com

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Andres Genovez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/12/31 BARDOU Pierre <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would be very interested by an OpenBSD port too.
>> Usage : home router with firewall, DNS and DHCP.
>>
>> I am looking into FreeBSD and NetBSD ports, but I would prefer to have the
>> latest PF and OpenSSH versions... plus I am more used to OpenBSD and I like
>> using it :-)
>>
>> If somebody knows X86 hardware able to do the same (routing/firewlling 20
>> mbps traffic, VLAN, fits in a tiny box, power consumption below 5W, price
>> around 50$) as the raspberry I am interested BTW.
>>
> I am interested too, can somebody give an advice on what hardware to use?
> maybe 5 lan or at least two lan? an below 100?

For under $100 USD your best bet is to look for a used computer on
craigslist or a yard sale and install another NIC in it.  But, this
will not get you at 5 watts or less.

For under $200 look at either PC Engines ALIX boards or Soekris.  eBay
has plenty of them.  You can manage 5W or less this route.

For the Raspberry Pi you will not get OpenBSD.  You will have to use
Linux and configure it manually, including recompiling the kernel with
iptables support.  You *might* be able to get under $100, but it won't
be under 5 watts and it will be a jalopy.  USB ethernet adapters start
around $25 new.

-Gene

2013/1/9 Gene <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Andres Genovez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > 2012/12/31 BARDOU Pierre <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would be very interested by an OpenBSD port too.
> >> Usage : home router with firewall, DNS and DHCP.
> >>
> >> I am looking into FreeBSD and NetBSD ports, but I would prefer to have
> the
> >> latest PF and OpenSSH versions... plus I am more used to OpenBSD and I
> like
> >> using it :-)
> >>
> >> If somebody knows X86 hardware able to do the same (routing/firewlling
> 20
> >> mbps traffic, VLAN, fits in a tiny box, power consumption below 5W,
> price
> >> around 50$) as the raspberry I am interested BTW.
> >>
> > I am interested too, can somebody give an advice on what hardware to use?
> > maybe 5 lan or at least two lan? an below 100?
> >

> For under $100 USD your best bet is to look for a used computer on
> craigslist or a yard sale and install another NIC in it.  But, this
> will not get you at 5 watts or less.
>
> For under $200 look at either PC Engines ALIX boards or Soekris.  eBay
> has plenty of them.  You can manage 5W or less this route.
>
> For the Raspberry Pi you will not get OpenBSD.  You will have to use
> Linux and configure it manually, including recompiling the kernel with
> iptables support.  You *might* be able to get under $100, but it won't
> be under 5 watts and it will be a jalopy.  USB ethernet adapters start
> around $25 new.
>
> Thanks, i will look forward those, because a Mikrotik is under 100, and
features over 1000.

--
Atentamente

Andrés Genovez Tobar / DTIT
Elastix ECE - Linux  LPI-1 - Novell CLA - Apple ACMT - Mikrotik
MTCNA/MTCTCE/MTCRE/MTCWE
http://www.cspmsa.com

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

BARDOU Pierre
Hello,

Many thanks for all those advices.
All of them make sense, but :
* An used computer (I have plenty of them) cost 50-100€ a year in power (and is big and heats a lot, but that's not my main concern).
* Alix or soekris are nice hardware, but expensive for me. I intend to build a home router to play a bit with networking, not an enterprise grade solution
* Raspberry cost 50€ with power adapter, 16 GB SD card and case. I added 15€ for a wifi USB dongle and 20€ for a 802.1q switch. The power adapter is a 5V 1A, so it uses 5W power or less.

TCO on five years :
Alix : 200€ hardware (with power supply, CF, WiFi and case), 25€ power = 225€
Used computer from my closet : 0€ hardware, at least 250€ power = 250 €
Raspberry : 85€ hardware, 25€ power = 110€

Half price. So I bought a raspberry. I does routing, firewalling, samba PDC with LDAP, DNS and DHCP.
The only drawback : I have to use iptables (no need to recompile, works OOTB), and I found its syntax way less pleasant to use than its PF counterpart.

Unfortunately, my coding skills are way too limited to try to port OpenBSD...
So if nobody around thinks it worth the trouble to do it (with some good reasons I read in this thread), no problem. I'll stick on OpenBSD at work, and play with linux at home.

--
Cordialement,
Pierre BARDOU

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Andres Genovez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/12/31 BARDOU Pierre <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would be very interested by an OpenBSD port too.
>> Usage : home router with firewall, DNS and DHCP.
>>
>> I am looking into FreeBSD and NetBSD ports, but I would prefer to have the
>> latest PF and OpenSSH versions... plus I am more used to OpenBSD and I like
>> using it :-)
>>
>> If somebody knows X86 hardware able to do the same (routing/firewlling 20
>> mbps traffic, VLAN, fits in a tiny box, power consumption below 5W, price
>> around 50$) as the raspberry I am interested BTW.
>>
> I am interested too, can somebody give an advice on what hardware to use?
> maybe 5 lan or at least two lan? an below 100?

For under $100 USD your best bet is to look for a used computer on
craigslist or a yard sale and install another NIC in it.  But, this
will not get you at 5 watts or less.

For under $200 look at either PC Engines ALIX boards or Soekris.  eBay
has plenty of them.  You can manage 5W or less this route.

For the Raspberry Pi you will not get OpenBSD.  You will have to use
Linux and configure it manually, including recompiling the kernel with
iptables support.  You *might* be able to get under $100, but it won't
be under 5 watts and it will be a jalopy.  USB ethernet adapters start
around $25 new.
Thanks, i will look forward those, because a Mikrotik is under 100, and features over 1000.

-Gene

--
Atentamente

Andrés Genovez Tobar / DTIT
Elastix ECE - Linux  LPI-1 - Novell CLA - Apple ACMT - Mikrotik MTCNA/MTCTCE/MTCRE/MTCWE
http://www.cspmsa.com

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Patrick Wildt
Hello,

I'm currently working on porting OpenBSD to the Freescale i.MX6, an ARM
Cortex-A9 (1-4 cores).
It is already supporting USB and SDMMC, works like a charm.
The i.MX6 itself got some interesting features like PCIe, SATA and Gigabit
Ethernet.

So, if 200$ don't sound too much, that might be an alternative.

\Patrick

http://boundarydevices.com/products/sabre-lite-imx6-sbc/
http://boundarydevices.com/products/nitrogen6x-board-imx6-arm-cortex-a9-sbc/

Am 09.01.2013 um 20:21 schrieb Gene <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Andres Genovez <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> 2012/12/31 BARDOU Pierre <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would be very interested by an OpenBSD port too.
>>> Usage : home router with firewall, DNS and DHCP.
>>>
>>> I am looking into FreeBSD and NetBSD ports, but I would prefer to have
the
>>> latest PF and OpenSSH versions... plus I am more used to OpenBSD and I
like

>>> using it :-)
>>>
>>> If somebody knows X86 hardware able to do the same (routing/firewlling 20
>>> mbps traffic, VLAN, fits in a tiny box, power consumption below 5W, price
>>> around 50$) as the raspberry I am interested BTW.
>>>
>> I am interested too, can somebody give an advice on what hardware to use?
>> maybe 5 lan or at least two lan? an below 100?
>>

> For under $100 USD your best bet is to look for a used computer on
> craigslist or a yard sale and install another NIC in it.  But, this
> will not get you at 5 watts or less.
>
> For under $200 look at either PC Engines ALIX boards or Soekris.  eBay
> has plenty of them.  You can manage 5W or less this route.
>
> For the Raspberry Pi you will not get OpenBSD.  You will have to use
> Linux and configure it manually, including recompiling the kernel with
> iptables support.  You *might* be able to get under $100, but it won't
> be under 5 watts and it will be a jalopy.  USB ethernet adapters start
> around $25 new.
>
> -Gene

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Doug Brewer
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Patrick Wildt  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently working on porting OpenBSD to the Freescale i.MX6, an ARM
> Cortex-A9 (1-4 cores).
> It is already supporting USB and SDMMC, works like a charm.
> The i.MX6 itself got some interesting features like PCIe, SATA and Gigabit
> Ethernet.
>
> So, if 200$ don't sound too much, that might be an alternative.

So, where is your diff?

> \Patrick
>
> http://boundarydevices.com/products/sabre-lite-imx6-sbc/
> http://boundarydevices.com/products/nitrogen6x-board-imx6-arm-cortex-a9-sbc/

Regards,
Doug.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Mihai Popescu-3
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Patrick Wildt  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently working on porting OpenBSD to the Freescale i.MX6, an ARM
> Cortex-A9 (1-4 cores).
> It is already supporting USB and SDMMC, works like a charm.
> The i.MX6 itself got some interesting features like PCIe, SATA and Gigabit
> Ethernet.
>
> So, if 200$ don't sound too much, that might be an alternative.

>> So, where is your diff?

Is it right to have diffs here? It is another arch ...

123