Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

KarlOskar Rikås
Hi, I wonder if it's possible to run OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi.

Is there any image ready for putting on my SD card and boot up? If not, is
there any manual or guide how to make one?

Thanks.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
KarlOskar Rikås <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi, I wonder if it's possible to run OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi.
>
> Is there any image ready for putting on my SD card and boot up? If not, is
> there any manual or guide how to make one?

To the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists.

And as a web search on the obvious keywords will show, whenever the
question has been raised earlier, the response from developers has been
less than enthusiastic.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Tobias Ulmer
On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 05:01:23PM +0100, KarlOskar Rikås wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if it's possible to run OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi.
>
> Is there any image ready for putting on my SD card and boot up? If not, is
> there any manual or guide how to make one?

No it's not possible and there are no plans to change that. Search the
archives if you're interested in the reasons.

In short, there is plenty of better performing and better documented
hardware available for nearly the same price. This makes the rpi
unattractive for developers.

> Thanks.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

KarlOskar Rikås
Okey, I hoped I could run OpenBSD on it. I've always wanted to try OpenBSD
but never had a computer over.

Thanks.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
KarlOskar Rikås <[hidden email]> writes:

> Okey, I hoped I could run OpenBSD on it. I've always wanted to try OpenBSD
> but never had a computer over.

If trying out and poking around a bit is the main idea, just get hold of
some old x86 or amd64 hardware somebody else is throwing out. (or even
SPARC, but spare parts will be more expensive).

Anyway, OpenBSD will run on an amazing array of slightly dated hardware.
A case in point: one of the firewalls I maintain for old friends is a
Pentium III box with a whopping 512 MB of RAM, 8GB hard drive, you get
the idea. As in, seriously, you'll get better hardware for free or the
price of a bus ticket.

- P

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Johan Ryberg
Since then both FreeBSD and NetBSD are ported to Raspberry Pi so it must be
doable. It's too bad I don't have the skills because it would be nice to do
this.

// Johan
On Dec 30, 2012 5:16 PM, "KarlOskar Rikås" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okey, I hoped I could run OpenBSD on it. I've always wanted to try OpenBSD
> but never had a computer over.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Johan Beisser
On Dec 30, 2012, at 8:31, [hidden email] (Peter N. M. Hansteen) wrote:

> A case in point: one of the firewalls I maintain for old friends is a
> Pentium III box with a whopping 512 MB of RAM, 8GB hard drive, you get
> the idea. As in, seriously, you'll get better hardware for free or the
> price of a bus ticket.

486DX2, 64mb of ram, 1gb of disk.

It's my firewall at home. Has been reliably pushing packets since 2000.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Anders Arnholm
Johan Beisser skrev 2012-12-30 20:49:

> On Dec 30, 2012, at 8:31, [hidden email] (Peter N. M. Hansteen) wrote:
>
>> A case in point: one of the firewalls I maintain for old friends is a
>> Pentium III box with a whopping 512 MB of RAM, 8GB hard drive, you get
>> the idea. As in, seriously, you'll get better hardware for free or the
>> price of a bus ticket.
> 486DX2, 64mb of ram, 1gb of disk.
>
> It's my firewall at home. Has been reliably pushing packets since 2000.

I wouldn't say that better hardware thou, the pi have it's advantages
over many dated hardware, specially in power consumption. When it comes
to nice embedded hardware development platforms few is as easy and cheep
to get your hands on.

The down side with pie as firewalls is only one network card. I say it
easy to work with compared to many alternatives.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Any practical usage for this kind of hardware?
I don't see it. Maybe someone can explain it to me?

Sure, probably fun to port an OS other than GNU/Linux,
but what kind of duties OpenBSD ev. will do on it?

//mxb

On 30 dec 2012, at 23:00, Anders Arnholm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johan Beisser skrev 2012-12-30 20:49:
>> On Dec 30, 2012, at 8:31, [hidden email] (Peter N. M. Hansteen) wrote:
>>
>>> A case in point: one of the firewalls I maintain for old friends is a
>>> Pentium III box with a whopping 512 MB of RAM, 8GB hard drive, you get
>>> the idea. As in, seriously, you'll get better hardware for free or the
>>> price of a bus ticket.
>> 486DX2, 64mb of ram, 1gb of disk.
>>
>> It's my firewall at home. Has been reliably pushing packets since 2000.
>>
> I wouldn't say that better hardware thou, the pi have it's advantages
> over many dated hardware, specially in power consumption. When it comes
> to nice embedded hardware development platforms few is as easy and cheep
> to get your hands on.
>
> The down side with pie as firewalls is only one network card. I say it
> easy to work with compared to many alternatives.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Nuno Magalhães-2
On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM, mxb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any practical usage for this kind of hardware?

Dependes on your definition of "practical" and "usage". It's got an
HDMI port, some use it for streaming at home.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

hepta tor
On 12/30/12, mxb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any practical usage for this kind of hardware?

What do you mean by practical in this context?

> I don't see it. Maybe someone can explain it to me?

See examples at
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/10-raspberry-pi-creations-that-show-how-amazing-the-tiny-pc-can-be/
and http://pingbin.com/2012/12/30-cool-ideas-raspberry-pi-project/.

Btw, is anyone working on porting OpenBSD on http://openpandora.org/ ?
-ht

> Sure, probably fun to port an OS other than GNU/Linux,
> but what kind of duties OpenBSD ev. will do on it?
>
> //mxb
>
> On 30 dec 2012, at 23:00, Anders Arnholm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Johan Beisser skrev 2012-12-30 20:49:

>>> 486DX2, 64mb of ram, 1gb of disk.
>>>
>>> It's my firewall at home. Has been reliably pushing packets since 2000.
>>>
>> I wouldn't say that better hardware thou, the pi have it's advantages
>> over many dated hardware, specially in power consumption. When it comes
>> to nice embedded hardware development platforms few is as easy and cheep
>> to get your hands on.
>>
>> The down side with pie as firewalls is only one network card. I say it
>> easy to work with compared to many alternatives.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Johan Ryberg
DNS, dhcp, firewall on a stick, vpn terminator.

Sure, it would be more easy if it had 2 interfaces but with VLAN you can do
a lot of cool stuff with rbp

// Johan
On Dec 30, 2012 11:12 PM, "mxb" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any practical usage for this kind of hardware?
> I don't see it. Maybe someone can explain it to me?
>
> Sure, probably fun to port an OS other than GNU/Linux,
> but what kind of duties OpenBSD ev. will do on it?
>
> //mxb
>
> On 30 dec 2012, at 23:00, Anders Arnholm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Johan Beisser skrev 2012-12-30 20:49:

> >> 486DX2, 64mb of ram, 1gb of disk.
> >>
> >> It's my firewall at home. Has been reliably pushing packets since 2000.
> >>
> > I wouldn't say that better hardware thou, the pi have it's advantages
> > over many dated hardware, specially in power consumption. When it comes
> > to nice embedded hardware development platforms few is as easy and cheep
> > to get your hands on.
> >
> > The down side with pie as firewalls is only one network card. I say it
> > easy to work with compared to many alternatives.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Live user
On 31/12/2012 1:32, Johan Ryberg wrote:
> DNS, dhcp, firewall on a stick, vpn terminator.
>
> Sure, it would be more easy if it had 2 interfaces but with VLAN you can do
> a lot of cool stuff with rbp

If you use the model B, besides 512 MB of RAM, you have 2 USB 2.0 ports.
You can put a hub on one of them, and buy some USB 2.0 to RJ45 that can
be found pretty cheap on ebay.

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:28:51AM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
> Btw, is anyone working on porting OpenBSD on http://openpandora.org/ ?

It's somewhere at the bottom of my todo lists. Support should be mostly
there (in beagle).

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Doug Brewer
On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Tobias Ulmer  wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 05:01:23PM +0100, KarlOskar Rikås wrote:
>> Hi, I wonder if it's possible to run OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi.
>>
>> Is there any image ready for putting on my SD card and boot up? If not, is
>> there any manual or guide how to make one?
>
> No it's not possible and there are no plans to change that. Search the
> archives if you're interested in the reasons.
>
> In short, there is plenty of better performing and better documented
> hardware available for nearly the same price. This makes the rpi
> unattractive for developers.

If so, try install FreeBSD. Last time I checked, it worked pretty well for me.

BR,
Doug.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Excuse me, but isn't it a sadomasochism to run all those stuff on this kind of hardware?

On 31 dec 2012, at 01:45, Live user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31/12/2012 1:32, Johan Ryberg wrote:
>> DNS, dhcp, firewall on a stick, vpn terminator.
>>
>> Sure, it would be more easy if it had 2 interfaces but with VLAN you can do
>> a lot of cool stuff with rbp
>
> If you use the model B, besides 512 MB of RAM, you have 2 USB 2.0 ports. You can put a hub on one of them, and buy some USB 2.0 to RJ45 that can be found pretty cheap on ebay.

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Brad Smith-14

Re: Running OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Because I don't see it handle pressure…..

Sure arcade and siri proxy are fun, but x86-based hw for those same tasks is probably out there….

mxb <[hidden email]> writes:

> Excuse me, but isn't it a sadomasochism to run all those stuff on this
> kind of hardware?

It really comes down to what your expectations are.  Cheap and/or old
generally means 'not fast', but even hardware that's 'not fast' by
modern standards can handle a number of tasks quite well.

I recently made the mistake of rebuilding openssl on a Pentium3 box,
cutting seriously into my beer time, but the day to day tasks it's been
assigned all those years the machine performs admirably.

- P