Run X+ssh on a Fire V120 without video card

Run X+ssh on a Fire V120 without video card

Paolo Aglialoro
Hi,

I just installed OpenBSD 5.0 on a Fire V120 with much satisfaction :)
I'd like to use this machine, among others, to remotely run some X
applications (mostly a browser and some GUI clients) through ssh.
the machine (pizza-box server) does not feature any video card.

Unfortunately, X does not start and gives the following error (over ssh):

$ startx &
xauth:  file /home/user/.serverauth.27809 does not exist
xauth:  file /home/user/.Xauthority does not exist

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: No console driver found
        Supported drivers: pcvt, wscons
        Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries

Googling around didn't provide much advice.
What can I do?
Thanks

Re: Run X+ssh on a Fire V120 without video card

Matthieu Herrb
On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 11:32:00PM +0100, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed OpenBSD 5.0 on a Fire V120 with much satisfaction :)
> I'd like to use this machine, among others, to remotely run some X
> applications (mostly a browser and some GUI clients) through ssh.
> the machine (pizza-box server) does not feature any video card.
>
> Unfortunately, X does not start and gives the following error (over ssh):
>
> $ startx &
> xauth:  file /home/user/.serverauth.27809 does not exist
> xauth:  file /home/user/.Xauthority does not exist
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: No console driver found
>         Supported drivers: pcvt, wscons
>         Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries
>
> Googling around didn't provide much advice.

If you don't have a graphics card attached, this is normal. But you
don't need a X server to run an X application remotly.

Just enable X11 forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, re-start sshd and
log into the box with ssh -Y

Then start your X application (firefox or whatever).

--
Matthieu Herrb