Rock64 v2 Ethernet not working

Lear Zhou
 Hi,

Today my Rock64 arrived, after format the sd card, and put u-boot from
current, the machine
started to install via net wired to a switch.

After preparations, when it should start downloading packages from
internet, it just stuck
there, 0 progress.

Yes, I have read in the mail-list that someone have encountered the same
kind of trouble.
My question is, is there a solution for this?

Since I also read in the mail list that someone successfully recovered the
ethernet, just I
didn't find a non hardware hacking solution which I am be able to apply.

Lear Zhou

Re: Rock64 v2 Ethernet not working

Sebastian Reitenbach
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, März 19, 2020 03:32 CET, schrieb Lear Zhou <[hidden email]>:

>  Hi,
>
> Today my Rock64 arrived, after format the sd card, and put u-boot from
> current, the machine
> started to install via net wired to a switch.
>
> After preparations, when it should start downloading packages from
> internet, it just stuck
> there, 0 progress.
>
> Yes, I have read in the mail-list that someone have encountered the same
> kind of trouble.
> My question is, is there a solution for this?
>
> Since I also read in the mail list that someone successfully recovered the
> ethernet, just I
> didn't find a non hardware hacking solution which I am be able to apply.

yesterday I got the soldering flux, the last bit missing, but haven't yet
found time to solder it, but will likely do so in the next days and report back.

cheers,
Sebastian

> Lear Zhou

Re: Rock64 v2 Ethernet not working

Kurt Miller-3
On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 16:24 +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, März 19, 2020 03:32 CET, schrieb Lear Zhou <[hidden email]>:
>

> >  Hi,
> >
> > Today my Rock64 arrived, after format the sd card, and put u-boot from
> > current, the machine
> > started to install via net wired to a switch.
> >
> > After preparations, when it should start downloading packages from
> > internet, it just stuck
> > there, 0 progress.
> >
> > Yes, I have read in the mail-list that someone have encountered the same
> > kind of trouble.
> > My question is, is there a solution for this?
> >
> > Since I also read in the mail list that someone successfully recovered the
> > ethernet, just I
> > didn't find a non hardware hacking solution which I am be able to apply.
> yesterday I got the soldering flux, the last bit missing, but haven't yet
> found time to solder it, but will likely do so in the next days and report back.

I purchased a Rock64 v2.0 board and also have the ethernet
problems with OpenBSD-current. There are people who have
modified the board to correct the problem and posted instructions
on how to do that. However, I tested Arbian's and ayufan's linux
on my board and the ethernet works fine so a software solution is
possible as well.

-Kurt

Re: Rock64 v2 Ethernet not working

Mark Kettenis
> From: Kurt Miller <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:48:01 -0400
>
> On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 16:24 +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, März 19, 2020 03:32 CET, schrieb Lear Zhou <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > >  Hi,
> > >
> > > Today my Rock64 arrived, after format the sd card, and put u-boot from
> > > current, the machine
> > > started to install via net wired to a switch.
> > >
> > > After preparations, when it should start downloading packages from
> > > internet, it just stuck
> > > there, 0 progress.
> > >
> > > Yes, I have read in the mail-list that someone have encountered the same
> > > kind of trouble.
> > > My question is, is there a solution for this?
> > >
> > > Since I also read in the mail list that someone successfully recovered the
> > > ethernet, just I
> > > didn't find a non hardware hacking solution which I am be able to apply.
> > yesterday I got the soldering flux, the last bit missing, but haven't yet
> > found time to solder it, but will likely do so in the next days and report back.
> >

> I purchased a Rock64 v2.0 board and also have the ethernet
> problems with OpenBSD-current. There are people who have
> modified the board to correct the problem and posted instructions
> on how to do that. However, I tested Arbian's and ayufan's linux
> on my board and the ethernet works fine so a software solution is
> possible as well.

Kurt, can you list the exact version of that kernel?  Something I can
trace back to a specific git hash...

On my Rock64 v2.0 board the network interface is fairly solid if I
configure it for 100baseTX using:

  # ifconfig dwge0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

Cheers,

Mark

On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 15:53 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> > From: Kurt Miller <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:48:01 -0400
> >
> > On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 16:24 +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > yesterday I got the soldering flux, the last bit missing, but haven't yet
> > > found time to solder it, but will likely do so in the next days and report back.
> > >
> > I purchased a Rock64 v2.0 board and also have the ethernet
> > problems with OpenBSD-current. There are people who have
> > modified the board to correct the problem and posted instructions
> > on how to do that. However, I tested Arbian's and ayufan's linux
> > on my board and the ethernet works fine so a software solution is
> > possible as well.
> Kurt, can you list the exact version of that kernel?  Something I can
> trace back to a specific git hash...

Sure, I tried these:

Armbian_20.02.1_Rock64_bionic_current_5.4.20_desktop.img
kernel version: 5.4.20
https://dl.armbian.com/rock64/Bionic_current_desktop

bionic-minimal-rock64-0.9.16-1163-arm64.img
kernel version: 4.4.197
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases

> On my Rock64 v2.0 board the network interface is fairly solid if I
> configure it for 100baseTX using:
>
>   # ifconfig dwge0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

Thanks, I'll give that a try soon.

-Kurt

Re: Rock64 v2 Ethernet not working

Kurt Miller-3
On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 15:53 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> > From: Kurt Miller <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:48:01 -0400
> >
> > On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 16:24 +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > yesterday I got the soldering flux, the last bit missing, but haven't yet
> > > found time to solder it, but will likely do so in the next days and report back.
> > >
> > I purchased a Rock64 v2.0 board and also have the ethernet
> > problems with OpenBSD-current. There are people who have
> > modified the board to correct the problem and posted instructions
> > on how to do that. However, I tested Arbian's and ayufan's linux
> > on my board and the ethernet works fine so a software solution is
> > possible as well.
> Kurt, can you list the exact version of that kernel?  Something I can
> trace back to a specific git hash...
>
> On my Rock64 v2.0 board the network interface is fairly solid if I
> configure it for 100baseTX using:
>
>   # ifconfig dwge0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

Thanks for that tip, I was able to install with those settings
and investigate further.

Reverting the last commit to dwge(4) fixes the networking issues
on the Rock64 v2 board for me:

https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/082b8262db52c89cd84afafad45b79da990299ce

-Kurt

Re: Rock64 v2 Ethernet not working

Kurt Miller-4
On Wed, 2020-03-25 at 15:28 -0400, Kurt Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 15:53 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> >

> > > From: Kurt Miller <[hidden email]>
> > > Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:48:01 -0400

> > > I purchased a Rock64 v2.0 board and also have the ethernet
> > > problems with OpenBSD-current. There are people who have
> > > modified the board to correct the problem and posted instructions
> > > on how to do that. However, I tested Arbian's and ayufan's linux
> > > on my board and the ethernet works fine so a software solution is
> > > possible as well.
> > Kurt, can you list the exact version of that kernel?  Something I can
> > trace back to a specific git hash...
> >
> > On my Rock64 v2.0 board the network interface is fairly solid if I
> > configure it for 100baseTX using:
> >
> >   # ifconfig dwge0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
> >
> Thanks for that tip, I was able to install with those settings
> and investigate further.
>
> Reverting the last commit to dwge(4) fixes the networking issues
> on the Rock64 v2 board for me:
>
> https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/082b8262db52c89cd84afafad45b79da990299ce

Ugh. Nevermind. The problem is intermittent and it just so happened
that the boot that was on the kernel without the diff worked.
Additional testing with the diff reverted also has the very high
dropped packets problem.

-Kurt