Richard Stallman...

Mayuresh Kathe
Hello,

We're all tired of explaining to Richard Stallman about how he's wrong.
It somehow isn't registering with him, that, or he's not willing to
accept his position of being wrong.

Either ways, by replying to his emails we are creating more noise than
required and giving him more importance than is due.

Could we all please stop responding to his emails as well as emails
from trollers like Rui Seabra?

Lets just ignore them and focus on our war cry of "Shut-up and Hack".

As a special power, let only Theo respond to Stallman's emails, that
way there isn't a lot of commotion and only the heavy weights slug it
out.

And for heaven's sake, please don't respond to this email on the list,
if you feel strongly about it, mail me offlist.

Best,

~Mayuresh

Re: Richard Stallman...

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:35:16PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> Could we all please stop responding to his emails as well as emails
> from trollers like Rui Seabra?

F.Y. You are the troll.

Rui

--
Keep the Lasagna flying!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?

Re: Richard Stallman...

Theo de Raadt
I actually prefer that it does continue.

I note that Richard also says that AROS is a free operating system.

Oh really?  Did he not notice the web page where AROS includes
software which emulates an Amiga perfectly, and to do this ---- talks
about stealing the ROM from a real Amiga machine?

Is that not the largest blob stolen, ever?

http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/applications/euae.php

And did Richard even check their License page, to notice that it
has numerous revocation clauses?

You are no Academic.  You don't belong anywhere near MIT campus.  You
just plain don't know how to do research, and then you go around
spreading mistruths.

Richard, you are such a hypocrite.  You don't matter any more in
this world.

> We're all tired of explaining to Richard Stallman about how he's wrong.
> It somehow isn't registering with him, that, or he's not willing to
> accept his position of being wrong.
>
> Either ways, by replying to his emails we are creating more noise than
> required and giving him more importance than is due.
>
> Could we all please stop responding to his emails as well as emails
> from trollers like Rui Seabra?
>
> Lets just ignore them and focus on our war cry of "Shut-up and Hack".
>
> As a special power, let only Theo respond to Stallman's emails, that
> way there isn't a lot of commotion and only the heavy weights slug it
> out.
>
> And for heaven's sake, please don't respond to this email on the list,
> if you feel strongly about it, mail me offlist.
>
> Best,
>
> ~Mayuresh

Re: Richard Stallman...

Siju George
On Jan 4, 2008 10:38 PM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are no Academic.  You don't belong anywhere near MIT campus.  You
> just plain don't know how to do research, and then you go around
> spreading mistruths.
>
> Richard, you are such a hypocrite.  You don't matter any more in
> this world.

This

http://redfox.redfoxcenter.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=15560

is the man who is spreading all these lies about other decent Free
Software developers.
If you haven't seen him yet!

Re: Richard Stallman...

chefren
On 1/4/08 7:14 PM, Siju George wrote:

> http://redfox.redfoxcenter.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=15560
>
> is the man who is spreading all these lies about other decent Free
> Software developers.
> If you haven't seen him yet!

Don't forget to take a look at the unforgettable "all talk no action"
character with GNU horns "behind the curtain" on the paperwork of the OpenBSD
3.7 release CD.

http://openbsd.org/lyrics.html#37

or more precise:

http://openbsd.org/images/37song.gif

+++chefren

Re: Richard Stallman...

Maxim Bourmistrov-2
Yes, as this continues you have to say something Theo, but.....
I personally prefer the moto "If you want it right - you have to do
it yourself".

So please Theo stop wasting your time and continue with your
development of OpenBSD.
The energy you wasting to reply this flame is taken from OpenBSD
project.

"So stfu and work!"

P.S.
The last one should be interpreted  as "Do what you suppose to do!"

On 4 jan 2008, at 18.08, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> I actually prefer that it does continue.
>
> I note that Richard also says that AROS is a free operating system.
>
> Oh really?  Did he not notice the web page where AROS includes
> software which emulates an Amiga perfectly, and to do this ---- talks
> about stealing the ROM from a real Amiga machine?
>
> Is that not the largest blob stolen, ever?
>
> http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/applications/euae.php
>
> And did Richard even check their License page, to notice that it
> has numerous revocation clauses?
>
> You are no Academic.  You don't belong anywhere near MIT campus.  You
> just plain don't know how to do research, and then you go around
> spreading mistruths.
>
> Richard, you are such a hypocrite.  You don't matter any more in
> this world.
>
>> We're all tired of explaining to Richard Stallman about how he's
>> wrong.
>> It somehow isn't registering with him, that, or he's not willing to
>> accept his position of being wrong.
>>
>> Either ways, by replying to his emails we are creating more noise
>> than
>> required and giving him more importance than is due.
>>
>> Could we all please stop responding to his emails as well as emails
>> from trollers like Rui Seabra?
>>
>> Lets just ignore them and focus on our war cry of "Shut-up and Hack".
>>
>> As a special power, let only Theo respond to Stallman's emails, that
>> way there isn't a lot of commotion and only the heavy weights slug it
>> out.
>>
>> And for heaven's sake, please don't respond to this email on the
>> list,
>> if you feel strongly about it, mail me offlist.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> ~Mayuresh

Best regards

Maxim Bourmistrov
mailto: [hidden email]
tfn.: +46735461332

Puffy 'Wizard of OS' (Was: Re: Richard Stallman...)

Kenneth Ismert
chefren wrote (shortened):
> Don't forget to take a look at the unforgettable "all talk no action"
> character with GNU horns "behind the curtain" on the paperwork of the
> OpenBSD 3.7 release CD.
>
> http://openbsd.org/lyrics.html#37

OK, I promised myself I wouldn't respond again to this thread or its
children, but...

The Puffy 'Wizard of OS' sequence is really cute. I hadn't seen that one
before. I have to admit that the artwork was one of the things that
attracted me to OBSD.

-Ken

Re: Richard Stallman...

Gilles Chehade-6
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:29:38PM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:35:16PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> > Could we all please stop responding to his emails as well as emails
> > from trollers like Rui Seabra?
>
> F.Y. You are the troll.

Why didn't you answer my mail Rui ?
You are a troll.

Gilles

Gilles Chehade

Re: Richard Stallman...

Unix Fan
Maxim Bourmistrov wrote:

> Yes, as this continues you have to say something Theo, but.....

> I personally prefer the moto "If you want it right - you have to do

> it yourself".

> So please Theo stop wasting your time and continue with your

> development of OpenBSD.

> The energy you wasting to reply this flame is taken from OpenBSD

> project.

> "So stfu and work!"

> P.S.

> The last one should be interpreted  as "Do what you suppose to do!"

Theo and the other developers do what they do because they want to, not because you want them to.

Seriously, how can you tell him to "Shut the F**k up"?... who do you think "you" are?

-Nix Fan.

Re: Richard Stallman...

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 05:49:42PM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> Why didn't you answer my mail Rui ?
> You are a troll.

Either I did and you missed it, or it wasn't the answer you'd expect or
I found it so irrelevant it didn't even raise any bell.

Anyways, most of your emails have been so rude that in afterthought I
shouldn't even "honour" you with a reply.

Rui

--
Fnord.
Today is Setting Orange, the 5th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?

Re: Richard Stallman...

Richard Stallman
    I note that Richard also says that AROS is a free operating system.

I don't recognize the name AROS, but if it is an operating system, it
is possible I said something about it at some point.  Could you tell
me where that statement appears?  If I need to correct it, I need to
know where it is.

    Oh really?  Did he not notice the web page where AROS includes
    software which emulates an Amiga perfectly,

I doubt I would have looked at the AROS web site myself.  To find out
the status of the BSD systems, recently, I asked the FSF staff to
check for me.

    And did Richard even check their License page, to notice that it
    has numerous revocation clauses?

I don't know if I ever looked for that page.  Perhaps an AROS
developer said it was free and I took his word for it.  But since you
say AROS isn't free, I should check it now.  You may be right.

What is the URL of that license page?

Re: Richard Stallman...

Gilles Chehade-5
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:53:30AM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 05:49:42PM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> > Why didn't you answer my mail Rui ?
> > You are a troll.
>
> Either I did and you missed it, or it wasn't the answer you'd expect or
> I found it so irrelevant it didn't even raise any bell.

You have not answered at all, you have answered to other people so that
you could dodge my embarassing question instead of explaining why it is
different to do the exact same thing when you are from the FSF.

According to YOU, it is okay to have emacs and gcc run on a proprietary
system as it allows more people to run free software. How is it that it
is wrong to allow more people to run a free system by giving them links
to proprietary software if it encourages them to keep their free system
instead of switching to a proprietary one ?

By providing emacs and gcc for windows you encourage people to run just
a few free applications with proprietary system and (many) tools, while
we just give people the freedom to install a proprietary application on
top of a free system with free tools.

> Anyways, most of your emails have been so rude that in afterthought I
> shouldn't even "honour" you with a reply.

I try hard to keep my emails insult-free, saying that they are rude for
helping you avoid embarassing questions is what makes you a troll. Just
like your friend Stallman, you play on words and act like a victim if a
person points at the flaws in your reasonning, grow up.

Gilles

Gilles Chehade

Re: Richard Stallman...

Gilles Chehade-5
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:31:10AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I note that Richard also says that AROS is a free operating system.
>
> I don't recognize the name AROS, but if it is an operating system, it
> is possible I said something about it at some point.  Could you tell
> me where that statement appears?  If I need to correct it, I need to
> know where it is.

It is amazing how many corrections you've made here and there since the
beginning of this thread. It looks more and more like you barely said a
thing that you actually checked facts for ...

>     Oh really?  Did he not notice the web page where AROS includes
>     software which emulates an Amiga perfectly,
>
> I doubt I would have looked at the AROS web site myself.  To find out
> the status of the BSD systems, recently, I asked the FSF staff to
> check for me.

>     And did Richard even check their License page, to notice that it
>     has numerous revocation clauses?
>
> I don't know if I ever looked for that page.  Perhaps an AROS
> developer said it was free and I took his word for it.  But since you
> say AROS isn't free, I should check it now.  You may be right.

Gilles Chehade

Re: Richard Stallman...

Sunnz
2008/1/6, Richard Stallman <[hidden email]>:
>     I note that Richard also says that AROS is a free operating system.
>
> I don't recognize the name AROS, but if it is an operating system, it
> is possible I said something about it at some point.  Could you tell
> me where that statement appears?  If I need to correct it, I need to
> know where it is.

Dude... it is on the "endorsement list" on gnu.org you talked about in
the beginning how you cannot include OpenBSD in it...

http://gnu.org/links/links.html

Is that not the list you talked about?

I have a feeling that list is maintained by your 'FSF staff' and you
don't have much of an idea of what's included in it?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Re: Richard Stallman...

Johan Beisser
On Jan 5, 2008, at 6:31 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I doubt I would have looked at the AROS web site myself.  To find out
> the status of the BSD systems, recently, I asked the FSF staff to
> check for me.

Wait, you have someone else do the research, and this persons opinions
get reflected in what you say? You don't have someone else factcheck,
or double check these facts yourself?

Re: Richard Stallman...

Andrés Delfino
On Jan 5, 2008 11:31 AM, Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't recognize the name AROS, but if it is an operating system, it
> is possible I said something about it at some point.  Could you tell
> me where that statement appears?  If I need to correct it, I need to
> know where it is.

http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html

Go to Other free operating systems section.

> What is the URL of that license page?

http://aros.sourceforge.net/license.html

Greetings.

Re: Richard Stallman...

Marco Peereboom
That's clearly a rhetorical question.

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:30:36AM -0800, johan beisser wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008, at 6:31 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> I doubt I would have looked at the AROS web site myself.  To find out
>> the status of the BSD systems, recently, I asked the FSF staff to
>> check for me.
>
> Wait, you have someone else do the research, and this persons opinions get
> reflected in what you say? You don't have someone else factcheck, or double
> check these facts yourself?

Re: Richard Stallman...

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:47:16AM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:53:30AM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 05:49:42PM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> > > Why didn't you answer my mail Rui ?
> > > You are a troll.
> >
> > Either I did and you missed it, or it wasn't the answer you'd expect or
> > I found it so irrelevant it didn't even raise any bell.
> >

> You have not answered at all, you have answered to other people so that
> you could dodge my embarassing question instead of explaining why it is
> different to do the exact same thing when you are from the FSF.

I'm not from the FSF.

> According to YOU, it is okay to have emacs and gcc run on a proprietary
> system as it allows more people to run free software. How is it that it
> is wrong to allow more people to run a free system by giving them links
> to proprietary software if it encourages them to keep their free system
> instead of switching to a proprietary one ?

1) ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/ isn't "links"
2) using more free software is better than not running it at all
3) incentivating usage of non-free software on free software operating
   systems doesn't incentivate the creation of free software replacements
4) FYI I think the wine project is counter-productive as it enables
   running non-free software on free software operating systems, and as
   such de-incentivates the creation of replacements.
4.1) but it's free software and its authors have their own independence.

> By providing emacs and gcc for windows you encourage people to run just
> a few free applications with proprietary system and (many) tools, while
> we just give people the freedom to install a proprietary application on
> top of a free system with free tools.

Look, OpenBSD is aggressive enough that people who "need" such non-free
software likely won't even run it on OpenBSD, so what you're saying is
that to the convenience of a few people who don't care for freedom of
all users, you distribute non-free software.

> > Anyways, most of your emails have been so rude that in afterthought I
> > shouldn't even "honour" you with a reply.
>
> I try hard to keep my emails insult-free, saying that they are rude for
> helping you avoid embarassing questions is what makes you a troll. Just
> like your friend Stallman, you play on words and act like a victim if a
> person points at the flaws in your reasonning, grow up.

No, I am a victim and your (generically, not specifically you) attitude
actually makes my relation with OpenBSD very frustrating.

Rui

--
Wibble.
Today is Setting Orange, the 5th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
Celebrate Mungday
+ So let's do it...?

Re: Richard Stallman...

Ray Percival-2
On Jan 5, 2008, at 9:53, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:47:16AM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:53:30AM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Either I did and you missed it, or it wasn't the answer you'd
>>> expect or
>>> I found it so irrelevant it didn't even raise any bell.
>>>

>> You have not answered at all, you have answered to other people so
>> that
>> you could dodge my embarassing question instead of explaining why
>> it is
>> different to do the exact same thing when you are from the FSF.
>
> I'm not from the FSF.
>
>> According to YOU, it is okay to have emacs and gcc run on a
>> proprietary
>> system as it allows more people to run free software. How is it
>> that it
>> is wrong to allow more people to run a free system by giving them
>> links
>> to proprietary software if it encourages them to keep their free
>> system
>> instead of switching to a proprietary one ?
>
> 1) ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/ isn't "links"
> 2) using more free software is better than not running it at all
> 3) incentivating usage of non-free software on free software operating
>   systems doesn't incentivate the creation of free software
> replacements
> 4) FYI I think the wine project is counter-productive as it enables
>   running non-free software on free software operating systems, and as
>   such de-incentivates the creation of replacements.
> 4.1) but it's free software and its authors have their own
> independence.
>
>> By providing emacs and gcc for windows you encourage people to run
>> just
>> a few free applications with proprietary system and (many) tools,
>> while
>> we just give people the freedom to install a proprietary
>> application on
>> top of a free system with free tools.
>
> Look, OpenBSD is aggressive enough that people who "need" such non-
> free
> software likely won't even run it on OpenBSD, so what you're saying is
> that to the convenience of a few people who don't care for freedom of
> all users, you distribute non-free software.
>
>>> Anyways, most of your emails have been so rude that in
>>> afterthought I
>>> shouldn't even "honour" you with a reply.
>>
>> I try hard to keep my emails insult-free, saying that they are rude
>> for
>> helping you avoid embarassing questions is what makes you a troll.
>> Just
>> like your friend Stallman, you play on words and act like a victim
>> if a
>> person points
>
> No, I am a victim and your (generically, not specifically you)
> attitude
> actually makes my relation with OpenBSD very frustrating.

So GTFO. Oh and lose the sig on a public mailing list. You don't like
us we don't like you. You think we rank up there with baby killers. I
will NEVER understand how that works so just FOAD and we can all be
happy.

> Rui
>
> --
> Wibble.
> Today is Setting Orange, the 5th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
> Celebrate Mungday
> + No matter how much you do, you never do enough -- unknown
> + Whatever you do will be insignificant,
> | but it is very important that you do it -- Gandhi
> + So let's do it...?

L-9

Re: Richard Stallman...

L-9
Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:47:16AM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:

>>> Either I did and you missed it, or it wasn't the answer you'd expect or
>>> I found it so irrelevant it didn't even raise any bell.
>>>

>> You have not answered at all, you have answered to other people so that
>> you could dodge my embarassing question instead of explaining why it is
>> different to do the exact same thing when you are from the FSF.
>>

> I'm not from the FSF.
>

>> According to YOU, it is okay to have emacs and gcc run on a proprietary
>> system as it allows more people to run free software. How is it that it
>> is wrong to allow more people to run a free system by giving them links
>> to proprietary software if it encourages them to keep their free system
>> instead of switching to a proprietary one ?
>>

> 1) ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/ isn't "links"
> 2) using more free software is better than not running it at all

Using openbsd is using free software.. using MORE free software than
Windows Server 2003.

Using default openbsd and having an option to run Google search or ports
is the same as using GCC and Emacs on windows with having the option to
migrate to gnu/linux.. since ea lot of GCC users have never used
linux/gnu ever.

Same Thing.

Hypocrite thoughts are constructed in your mind the way you want to see
it.. the same way CULTS want you to see that their cult is right about
EVERYTHING and every other religion and church is wrong.

1234