Revision on Macbook Guide

Aaron Hsu
Hello everyone,

I have had quite a few requests to come up with a new guide for the Macbook
and OpenBSD. I haven't really thought that there was that much to update, so
I haven't been doing too much on it. However, since there is a new -RELEASE
out, I figured that I ought to at least bring things up to speed with
the latest released features. I also wanted to give people some information
about what may or may not be available in 4.3.

Additionally, I wanted to make my pages a bit easier to access, so I have
done this guide in plain text.

I was hoping that anyone who had anything to add to this guide, and/or
who had any comments regarding form, style, and general method, would speak
up. :-)

<http://www.aaronhsu.com/v1/papers/openbsd_macbook.txt>

--
((name "Aaron Hsu")
 (email/xmpp "[hidden email]")
 (site "http://www.aaronhsu.com"))

Re: Revision on Macbook Guide

Thomas Delaet
I tried booting 4.2 i386 images (amd64 did not work) on my macbook. In
every case (bsd.rd, bsd and bsd.mp) I got the following as the first
kernel message:

"kbc: cmd word write error"

For all kernels, I enabled acpi and disabled apm.

Kernels boot fine, but as you can expect, I was not able to do
anything useful since my keyboard doesn't work (I tried attaching
other USB keyboards - no luck). However, the keyboard works fine at
the "boot>" prompt ...

Do you have any idea on how to know the cause/solve this problem?

How can I capture the kernel outputs?

Thanks a lot in advance

Kind Regards

Thomas

Thomas

Re: Revision on Macbook Guide

Aaron Hsu-3
Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your message

On Dec 9, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Thomas Delaet wrote:

> I tried booting 4.2 i386 images (amd64 did not work) on my macbook. In
> every case (bsd.rd, bsd and bsd.mp) I got the following as the first
> kernel message:
>
> "kbc: cmd word write error"
>
> For all kernels, I enabled acpi and disabled apm.

I have noticed that this seems to happen for every kernel, but with my
Macbook Pro (Core Duo) it has not caused any issues with the keyboard.
I remember that there have been some issues with the Macbooks and
their keyboards. Most users reported that using an external keyboard
(most used usb) solved the issues. I believe that this is probably the
only way that you will be able to get your Macbook running properly,
unless someone has fixed this.

I would love to have more information on Macbooks and their issues, so
that I can update my guide. If you happen to find another solution
that does not involve external keyboards, please let me know.

Aaron Hsu
Email/AIM: [hidden email]
XMPP: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.sacrideo.us

Re: Revision on Macbook Guide

michael enoma aghayere
On 20/11/2007, Aaron Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have had quite a few requests to come up with a new guide for the Macbook
> and OpenBSD. I haven't really thought that there was that much to update, so
> I haven't been doing too much on it. However, since there is a new -RELEASE
> out, I figured that I ought to at least bring things up to speed with
> the latest released features. I also wanted to give people some information
> about what may or may not be available in 4.3.
>
> Additionally, I wanted to make my pages a bit easier to access, so I have
> done this guide in plain text.
>
> I was hoping that anyone who had anything to add to this guide, and/or
> who had any comments regarding form, style, and general method, would speak
> up. :-)
>
> <http://www.aaronhsu.com/v1/papers/openbsd_macbook.txt>

For the benefit of the archives, the URL given above seems incorrect.
The correct URL is
http://www.sacrideo.us/Sacrificum_Deo/Stuff_files/openbsd_macbook.txt

--
~michael
www.BSDqed.com

Re: Revision on Macbook Guide

Nick Guenther
On Dec 9, 2007 3:45 PM, Aaron Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>
> Thanks for your message
>
> On Dec 9, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Thomas Delaet wrote:
>
> > I tried booting 4.2 i386 images (amd64 did not work) on my macbook. In
> > every case (bsd.rd, bsd and bsd.mp) I got the following as the first
> > kernel message:
> >
> > "kbc: cmd word write error"
> >
> > For all kernels, I enabled acpi and disabled apm.
>
> I have noticed that this seems to happen for every kernel, but with my
> Macbook Pro (Core Duo) it has not caused any issues with the keyboard.
> I remember that there have been some issues with the Macbooks and
> their keyboards. Most users reported that using an external keyboard
> (most used usb) solved the issues. I believe that this is probably the
> only way that you will be able to get your Macbook running properly,
> unless someone has fixed this.
>
> I would love to have more information on Macbooks and their issues, so
> that I can update my guide. If you happen to find another solution
> that does not involve external keyboards, please let me know.

Appearently you have to make sure to plug into the frontmost port for
some unknown reason.

Also I've seen USB keyboards not get along with bsd.rd before, so
you'll have to make sure the one you're using works.

-Nick

Re: Revision on Macbook Guide

Thomas Delaet
Thanks a lot for the responses! I would like to experiment with some
custom bsd.rd's and see if I can get this to work. Is it possible to
boot a Macbook from the network? I installed the rEFIt bootloader.
Also, can I capture the kernel output?

Kind Regards
Thomas

On 12/10/07, Thomas Delaet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the responses! I would like to experiment with some
> custom bsd.rd's and see if I can get this to work. Is it possible to
> boot a Macbook from the network? I installed the rEFIt bootloader.
> Also, can I capture the kernel output?

http://appleintelfaq.com/ claims "Apple's EFI implementation supports
GPT, APM, and NetBoot (PXE/TFTP) for booting" but I haven't figured
out how to control it at all. Is it as simple as setting up a bootp
server? That seems dangerous--plug into an untrusted network, boot up,
get your macbook booted with a malicious kernel.

-Nick