Request for testing

Otto Moerbeek
Hi,

If you ever thought about getting more involved and learning a bit
about buikdling a current OpenBSD, there's a call for testing at

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154521488707434&w=2

Testing would provide me with valuable data about performance of
memory management in multi-threaded applications.

Thanks,

        -Otto

Re: Request for testing

Consus-2
On 08:17 Fri 04 Jan, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you ever thought about getting more involved and learning a bit
> about buikdling a current OpenBSD, there's a call for testing at
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154521488707434&w=2
>
> Testing would provide me with valuable data about performance of
> memory management in multi-threaded applications.

Whay kind of performance (e.g. more/less responssive application)? Any
particular improvements should be looked for? Does number of CPUs
matter?

Re: Request for testing

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 01:05:37PM +0300, Consus wrote:

> On 08:17 Fri 04 Jan, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you ever thought about getting more involved and learning a bit
> > about buikdling a current OpenBSD, there's a call for testing at
> >
> > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154521488707434&w=2
> >
> > Testing would provide me with valuable data about performance of
> > memory management in multi-threaded applications.
>
> Whay kind of performance (e.g. more/less responssive application)? Any
> particular improvements should be looked for? Does number of CPUs
> matter?

Responsiveness would be a main thing to look for. You might also have
some other benchmark. Number of CPUs likely matters, that's one of the
things I'm trying to find out.

        -Otto

Re: Request for testing

Consus-2
On 13:05 Fri 04 Jan, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 01:05:37PM +0300, Consus wrote:
>
> > On 08:17 Fri 04 Jan, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > If you ever thought about getting more involved and learning a bit
> > > about buikdling a current OpenBSD, there's a call for testing at
> > >
> > > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154521488707434&w=2
> > >
> > > Testing would provide me with valuable data about performance of
> > > memory management in multi-threaded applications.
> >
> > Whay kind of performance (e.g. more/less responssive application)? Any
> > particular improvements should be looked for? Does number of CPUs
> > matter?
> >

> Responsiveness would be a main thing to look for. You might also have
> some other benchmark. Number of CPUs likely matters, that's one of the
> things I'm trying to find out.
>
> -Otto

Okay, I'll test some stuff on Ryzen 1800X by the end of this week. If
you have some particular test in mind, shoot.

Re: Request for testing

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 03:52:31PM +0300, Consus wrote:

> On 13:05 Fri 04 Jan, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> > > Whay kind of performance (e.g. more/less responssive application)? Any
> > > particular improvements should be looked for? Does number of CPUs
> > > matter?
> > >

> > Responsiveness would be a main thing to look for. You might also have
> > some other benchmark. Number of CPUs likely matters, that's one of the
> > things I'm trying to find out.
> >
> > -Otto
>
> Okay, I'll test some stuff on Ryzen 1800X by the end of this week. If
> you have some particular test in mind, shoot.

I'm looking for tests that cover a variety of use-cases. So use
whatever multi-threaded applications you would normally use. Play with
the options mentioned in the test request and report your findings.

        -Otto

Re: Request for testing

Chris Bennett-4
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 02:23:19PM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> I'm looking for tests that cover a variety of use-cases. So use
> whatever multi-threaded applications you would normally use. Play with
> the options mentioned in the test request and report your findings.
>
> -Otto

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Some things came up ... and out.
Ate the wrong thing at a party.

I will update -current and try to get something out. Pun intended.

Could you actually name some applications that are right for what you
need. Or explain how to get that out of ports?

Thanks,
Chris Bennett

Re: Request for testing

Mihai Popescu-3
> 2. Apply diff, build and install userland.
Is Xenocara/X considered as userland?

> MALLOC_OPTIONS=++ chrome
Do one needs to compile chromium port for this?

I can do some testing of application, but I am not sure if I can
finish kernel/userland compile actions correctly.

Re: Request for testing

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 06:31:50PM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:

> > 2. Apply diff, build and install userland.
> Is Xenocara/X considered as userland?
>
> > MALLOC_OPTIONS=++ chrome
> Do one needs to compile chromium port for this?
>
> I can do some testing of application, but I am not sure if I can
> finish kernel/userland compile actions correctly.

ATM you need to build the base system, but no need to build chrome if you
install it from a snap.

But this diff will be in snaps soon, so then it amounts to installing
a snap and making sure yourt packages are up to date (as old packages
may use an older libc without the diff).

        -Otto

Re: Request for testing

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 06:42:18PM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 06:31:50PM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
>
> > > 2. Apply diff, build and install userland.
> > Is Xenocara/X considered as userland?
> >
> > > MALLOC_OPTIONS=++ chrome
> > Do one needs to compile chromium port for this?
> >
> > I can do some testing of application, but I am not sure if I can
> > finish kernel/userland compile actions correctly.
> >

> ATM you need to build the base system, but no need to build chrome if you
> install it from a snap.
>
> But this diff will be in snaps soon, so then it amounts to installing
> a snap and making sure yourt packages are up to date (as old packages
> may use an older libc without the diff).
>
> -Otto

The diff is in snaps. You can use snaps dated later than now for testing.

        -Otto