Remove x11/wm{i,ii}

Klemens Nanni-2
Both ports have been unmaintained for over six years. One succeeded the
other until x11/dwm came around and took over.

We'll never see updates to these again, upstream homepages and/or
documentation at suckless, googlecode and whereever else have been
purged.

Anselm R. Garbe keeps distribution tarballs at dl.suckless.org these
projects originated from there, but he'd be happy to see the ports
removed.

New users are encouraged to use dwm.

Thoughts? OK to remove x11/wmi and x11/wmii?

Re: Remove x11/wm{i,ii}

trondd-2
On Fri, March 30, 2018 9:20 am, Klemens Nanni wrote:

> Both ports have been unmaintained for over six years. One succeeded the
> other until x11/dwm came around and took over.
>
> We'll never see updates to these again, upstream homepages and/or
> documentation at suckless, googlecode and whereever else have been
> purged.
>
> Anselm R. Garbe keeps distribution tarballs at dl.suckless.org these
> projects originated from there, but he'd be happy to see the ports
> removed.
>
> New users are encouraged to use dwm.
>
> Thoughts? OK to remove x11/wmi and x11/wmii?

As someone who used wmii for a loooong time and only moved to i3 recently
because I knew this day should come, I agree that it's time.  Not that my
call matters, but I never heard from anyone else using it when tweaking
the port in the past (which I won't be doing anymore).

Tim.

Re: Remove x11/wm{i,ii}

On 2018/03/30 15:20, Klemens Nanni wrote:

> Both ports have been unmaintained for over six years. One succeeded the
> other until x11/dwm came around and took over.
>
> We'll never see updates to these again, upstream homepages and/or
> documentation at suckless, googlecode and whereever else have been
> purged.
>
> Anselm R. Garbe keeps distribution tarballs at dl.suckless.org these
> projects originated from there, but he'd be happy to see the ports
> removed.
>
> New users are encouraged to use dwm.
>
> Thoughts? OK to remove x11/wmi and x11/wmii?

Is there any benefit to removing them? It doesn't really matter that
they don't have maintainers if there are no updates upstream anyway!

Happy to host the distfiles if suckless people want to kill their copy.

Re: Remove x11/wm{i,ii}

Jan Klemkow
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 04:28:24PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018/03/30 15:20, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> > Both ports have been unmaintained for over six years. One succeeded the
> > other until x11/dwm came around and took over.
> >
> > We'll never see updates to these again, upstream homepages and/or
> > documentation at suckless, googlecode and whereever else have been
> > purged.
> >
> > Anselm R. Garbe keeps distribution tarballs at dl.suckless.org these
> > projects originated from there, but he'd be happy to see the ports
> > removed.
> >
> > New users are encouraged to use dwm.
> >
> > Thoughts? OK to remove x11/wmi and x11/wmii?
> >

> Is there any benefit to removing them? It doesn't really matter that
> they don't have maintainers if there are no updates upstream anyway!
>
> Happy to host the distfiles if suckless people want to kill their copy.

Theses projects are dead and x11/dwm is the official successor.

IMHO: delete the port.

bye,
Jan

Re: Remove x11/wm{i,ii}

Stuart Henderson
On 2018/03/30 23:25, Jan Klemkow wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 04:28:24PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2018/03/30 15:20, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> > > Both ports have been unmaintained for over six years. One succeeded the
> > > other until x11/dwm came around and took over.
> > >
> > > We'll never see updates to these again, upstream homepages and/or
> > > documentation at suckless, googlecode and whereever else have been
> > > purged.
> > >
> > > Anselm R. Garbe keeps distribution tarballs at dl.suckless.org these
> > > projects originated from there, but he'd be happy to see the ports
> > > removed.
> > >
> > > New users are encouraged to use dwm.
> > >
> > > Thoughts? OK to remove x11/wmi and x11/wmii?
> > >

> > Is there any benefit to removing them? It doesn't really matter that
> > they don't have maintainers if there are no updates upstream anyway!
> >
> > Happy to host the distfiles if suckless people want to kill their copy.
>
> Theses projects are dead and x11/dwm is the official successor.
>
> IMHO: delete the port.
>
> bye,
> Jan

We still have WMs in tree that were dead before wmi was written. The
two aren't getting the way of anything, take a few seconds to build,
less than a MB on mirrors, no big chain of dependencies (and you
don't have to recompile to change configuration ;)

Which WM to use is quite a personal choice. Not OK with me without a
better reason than this.

Re: Remove x11/wm{i,ii}

Marc Espie-2
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:08:12PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018/03/30 23:25, Jan Klemkow wrote:

> > > Is there any benefit to removing them? It doesn't really matter that
> > > they don't have maintainers if there are no updates upstream anyway!
> > >
> > > Happy to host the distfiles if suckless people want to kill their copy.
> >
> > Theses projects are dead and x11/dwm is the official successor.
> >
> > IMHO: delete the port.
> >
> > bye,
> > Jan
> >

> We still have WMs in tree that were dead before wmi was written. The
> two aren't getting the way of anything, take a few seconds to build,
> less than a MB on mirrors, no big chain of dependencies (and you
> don't have to recompile to change configuration ;)
>
> Which WM to use is quite a personal choice. Not OK with me without a
> better reason than this.

I side with Stuart on that one...