Remove net/wireless

Gregor Best-2

Hi,

with the recent(-ish) introduction of `ifconfig $dev join $nwid`,
net/wireless became quite obsolete.

The only thing that it does that the current implementation of
autojoining in the kernel can't (yet?) do is kicking wpa_supplicant
after associating with an 802.1X network. That can be done manually by
running `wpa_cli reassoc` once the network has been associated with.

I'd like to propose removing net/wireless, so that it won't clutter 6.4s
ports tree/package collection by doing something that the kernel can do
by itself 95% of the time.

--
        Gregor

Re: Remove net/wireless

Josh Grosse-3
I was a very happy net/wireless user, though without 802.1X.

I'm ok with removal for 6.4.

On September 26, 2018 12:58:13 PM EDT, Gregor Best <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>with the recent(-ish) introduction of `ifconfig $dev join $nwid`,
>net/wireless became quite obsolete.
>
>The only thing that it does that the current implementation of
>autojoining in the kernel can't (yet?) do is kicking wpa_supplicant
>after associating with an 802.1X network. That can be done manually by
>running `wpa_cli reassoc` once the network has been associated with.
>
>I'd like to propose removing net/wireless, so that it won't clutter
>6.4s
>ports tree/package collection by doing something that the kernel can do
>by itself 95% of the time.
>
>--
> Gregor

Re: Remove net/wireless

Peter Hessler
Hi Gregor

Can you write a note in security/wpa_supplicant's README, so users can
know what the hint is?

Thanks!

-peter

On 2018 Sep 26 (Wed) at 18:58:13 +0200 (+0200), Gregor Best wrote:
:
:Hi,
:
:with the recent(-ish) introduction of `ifconfig $dev join $nwid`,
:net/wireless became quite obsolete.
:
:The only thing that it does that the current implementation of
:autojoining in the kernel can't (yet?) do is kicking wpa_supplicant
:after associating with an 802.1X network. That can be done manually by
:running `wpa_cli reassoc` once the network has been associated with.
:
:I'd like to propose removing net/wireless, so that it won't clutter 6.4s
:ports tree/package collection by doing something that the kernel can do
:by itself 95% of the time.
:
:--
: Gregor

--
Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.