Remove net/slirp?

Christian Weisgerber
Does anybody still use net/slirp?

It will need a PTY allocation fix, but I noticed that the code is
from 1996.  FreeBSD has a newer version, from 2004, but marks it

  # serious LP64 issues
  ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386

So does it even work?

I don't want to remove something that still works, but neither do
I want to preserve a nonfunctional port.

This looks pretty historical:

------->
SLiRP is a (C)SLIP/PPP emulator which allows users with normal shell
accounts act as if they had a (C)SLIP/PPP account.  This allows users to use
Netscape/Mosaic, ftp, telnet, etc. from their home machine, as if they had a
real (C)SLIP/PPP connection (with limitations).
<-------

Re: Remove net/slirp?

Stuart Henderson
On 2012/12/03 21:35, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Does anybody still use net/slirp?
>
> It will need a PTY allocation fix, but I noticed that the code is
> from 1996.  FreeBSD has a newer version, from 2004, but marks it
>
>   # serious LP64 issues
>   ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386
>
> So does it even work?

This code ended up in qemu where it does now work on LP64 so it's
probably rescuable should somebody feel the need.

> I don't want to remove something that still works, but neither do
> I want to preserve a nonfunctional port.
>
> This looks pretty historical:

Yes, it is mostly meant for people who have dialup modem access to a
UNIX server but no SLIP/PPP. A somewhat uncommon situation these days.

I don't object to removing it, if sometime after that someone wants
to fix LP64 issues and PTY allocation I wouldn't object to bringing
it back either. :)

> ------->
> SLiRP is a (C)SLIP/PPP emulator which allows users with normal shell
> accounts act as if they had a (C)SLIP/PPP account.  This allows users to use
> Netscape/Mosaic, ftp, telnet, etc. from their home machine, as if they had a
> real (C)SLIP/PPP connection (with limitations).
> <-------

Re: Remove net/slirp?

Todd T. Fries-2
I can't say that I've used this recently, I probably should try,
but I have fond memories of using telnet over a 2400 bps dialup
to connect to a hpux NFS client at school to run this to nfsmount
their mail server spool to give access to the mailbox of a friend
who had left the school and had his account reset so had no way
to access email still being delivered oh nearly 20 years ago.

The code lives on in qemu, probably too many changes to effect
fixes to this separate port, though if someone wishes to figure
out how they fixed it,  I do recall that LP64 issues were
a problem with user mode networking in qemu at one point that
has since been fixed.

Thanks,

Penned by Christian Weisgerber on 20121203 15:35.28, we have:

--
Todd Fries .. [hidden email]

|                                            \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com            \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| PO Box 16169, Oklahoma City, OK 73113      \  sip:[hidden email]
| "..in support of free software solutions." \  sip:[hidden email]

              37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                        http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt