Remove games/spider?

Christian Weisgerber
Is anybody still interested in games/spider?  It's a 30-year old
solitaire game.

Our master site is gone, but I've found another one.  The port fails
to build with -fno-common.  When built with -fcommon, it runs, so
it could be repaired.  But getting there means wading through reams and
reams of warnings:
* functions are used before they are declared (=> warning),
* functions are declared without type (=> warning),
* so the functions default to int but return no value (=> warning).

This has been partially addressed in the existing patches, and I've
started fixing more of it, but it goes on and on.

I feel I'm wasting time providing life support to a museum piece.
Can we just remove it?

Re: Remove games/spider?

Klemens Nanni-2
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:15:06PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> I feel I'm wasting time providing life support to a museum piece.
> Can we just remove it?
OK kn

Re: Remove games/spider?

Michael Warmuth-Uhl-2
Hello,

On 2/18/21 10:15 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Is anybody still interested in games/spider?  It's a 30-year old
> solitaire game.

I'm still interested (play it regularly). Would it help if I could fix it
for -fno-common? It seems feasible to me.

Best regards,

Michael

Re: Remove games/spider?

Michael Warmuth-Uhl-2

On 2/18/21 10:15 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Is anybody still interested in games/spider?  It's a 30-year old
> solitaire game.

Please find attached the patch for -fnocommon. I hope I got it right.
Builds and works on amd64.

Best regards,

Michael

spider-diff-nocommon.txt (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Remove games/spider?

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:15:06PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Is anybody still interested in games/spider?  It's a 30-year old
> solitaire game.
>
> Our master site is gone, but I've found another one.  The port fails
> to build with -fno-common.  When built with -fcommon, it runs, so
> it could be repaired.  But getting there means wading through reams and
> reams of warnings:
> * functions are used before they are declared (=> warning),
> * functions are declared without type (=> warning),
> * so the functions default to int but return no value (=> warning).
>
> This has been partially addressed in the existing patches, and I've
> started fixing more of it, but it goes on and on.
>
> I feel I'm wasting time providing life support to a museum piece.
> Can we just remove it?

yes we can.
ok

--