Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Carlos Fenollosa
Hi,

I’m a new OpenBSD user, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed thoroughly already.

I installed a new box using the default partitioning (2GB for /usr) and I found that it’s a bit insufficient since /usr/ports, /usr/xenocara and /usr/src hang from there on the same partition, and eat up most of those 2GB. I’ve searched online and some users also found the same problem

Do you think it would be a good idea to increase that number to about 5GB? I could try to write a simple patch for it.

Cheers,
Carlos

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Raf Czlonka-2
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 11:15:20PM BST, Carlos Fenollosa wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Carlos,

> I’m a new OpenBSD user, so please forgive me if this topic has been
> discussed thoroughly already.
>
> I installed a new box using the default partitioning (2GB for
> /usr) and I found that it’s a bit insufficient since /usr/ports,
> /usr/xenocara and /usr/src hang from there on the same partition, and
> eat up most of those 2GB. I’ve searched online and some users also
> found the same problem
>
> Do you think it would be a good idea to increase that number to about
> 5GB? I could try to write a simple patch for it.

It all depends on the size of your disk but most likely you are mistaken.

man 8 disklabel

Raf

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Alexander Salmin
Hi,

Read up on the Automatic disk allocation chapter in the disklabel manual
as mentioned by Raf. Basically partitions are dynamically allocated
based on total disk-space with a few exceptions - the following paths
have their own partitions on disks larger than 7G (so you are mistaken
about the /usr/src part, as Raf said). Maybe you should use "make clean"
after your jobs? What exactly is using all your disk space? I suggest
reading "15.3.6 - Cleaning up after a build" at
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

2G /usr/src
2G /usr/obj
10G /usr/local
1G /usr/X11R6

Alexander

On 2015-06-29 00:42, Raf Czlonka wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 11:15:20PM BST, Carlos Fenollosa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
> Hi Carlos,
>
>> I’m a new OpenBSD user, so please forgive me if this topic has been
>> discussed thoroughly already.
>>
>> I installed a new box using the default partitioning (2GB for
>> /usr) and I found that it’s a bit insufficient since /usr/ports,
>> /usr/xenocara and /usr/src hang from there on the same partition, and
>> eat up most of those 2GB. I’ve searched online and some users also
>> found the same problem
>>
>> Do you think it would be a good idea to increase that number to about
>> 5GB? I could try to write a simple patch for it.
> It all depends on the size of your disk but most likely you are mistaken.
>
> man 8 disklabel
>
> Raf

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

James Hartley
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Carlos Fenollosa <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed a new box using the default partitioning (2GB for /usr) and I
> found that it’s a bit insufficient since /usr/ports, /usr/xenocara and
> /usr/src hang from there on the same partition, and eat up most of those
> 2GB. I’ve searched online and some users also found the same problem

The defaults, which are based on the size of the disk, are simply that --
arbitrary values chosen to take care of general usage.  Since you mention
/usr/src, /usr/xenocara, & /usr/ports, you might be building the system, or
you might simply want to install source for study.  Your goals are unclear,
so to advise as to what sizes you need are also unclear.

If your goals is to build a substantial number of ports, /usr/ports/pobj
may need to be tens of gigabytes in size.

I could try to write a simple patch for it.

At the beginning of the installer, you are given the choice of accepting
the defaults as presented, or choose a custom layout which will allow the
creation of partitions of any allowable size.  No patch is needed or
necessary.  The tools provided have the flexibility you need/desire.

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Chris Bennett
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 05:59:09PM -0500, James Hartley wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Carlos Fenollosa <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I installed a new box using the default partitioning (2GB for /usr) and I
> > found that it???s a bit insufficient since /usr/ports, /usr/xenocara and
> > /usr/src hang from there on the same partition, and eat up most of those
> > 2GB. I???ve searched online and some users also found the same problem
> >

> The defaults, which are based on the size of the disk, are simply that --
> arbitrary values chosen to take care of general usage.  Since you mention
> /usr/src, /usr/xenocara, & /usr/ports, you might be building the system, or
> you might simply want to install source for study.  Your goals are unclear,
> so to advise as to what sizes you need are also unclear.
>
> If your goals is to build a substantial number of ports, /usr/ports/pobj
> may need to be tens of gigabytes in size.
>
> I could try to write a simple patch for it.
> >

> At the beginning of the installer, you are given the choice of accepting
> the defaults as presented, or choose a custom layout which will allow the
> creation of partitions of any allowable size.  No patch is needed or
> necessary.  The tools provided have the flexibility you need/desire.

I setup sort of what I wanted (used the idea of /usr/bld from a previous
post to put ports, src, xenocara in) but I could not get what I really
wanted since there are only partitions available up to p.

Why only up to p? Could this be easily changed or would that be a major
project? I would really like to newfs more partitions than are
available.

Chris Bennett

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

James Hartley
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Chris Bennett <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why only up to p?

It is a historical limitation.

> Could this be easily changed...

No, it would break a number of things.

> ...or would that be a major project?

Yes.

You could attach another disk.

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Carlos Fenollosa
Hi all,

Thanks for all the information. I had read disklabel(8) and my indication of /usr/src was actually my mistake, it has indeed its own partition. Sorry for that.

My disk has 80 GB so it falls under the >7GB partitioning. Regarding the fact that the installer is flexible, I know, I was only pointing out that maybe the default value for /usr is a bit small. Somebody who wants to build a lot of ports probably knows enough to change the default value.

For a novice user, they’re going to be constrained with the current defaults when they want to compile some big port — that’s my case, I can’t build php-5.6 because of disk space, and I’ve run “make clean” on all subfolders so there is nothing else to get space from.

Anyway, my goal bringing this up was to try to accommodate the sizes. a bit better for novice users who run with the default system partitioning.

Thanks,
Carlos

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:05:59AM +0200, Carlos Fenollosa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for all the information. I had read disklabel(8) and my indication of /usr/src was actually my mistake, it has indeed its own partition. Sorry for that.
>
> My disk has 80 GB so it falls under the >7GB partitioning. Regarding the fact that the installer is flexible, I know, I was only pointing out that maybe the default value for /usr is a bit small. Somebody who wants to build a lot of ports probably knows enough to change the default value.
>
> For a novice user, they’re going to be constrained with the current defaults when they want to compile some big port — that’s my case, I can’t build php-5.6 because of disk space, and I’ve run “make clean” on all subfolders so there is nothing else to get space from.
>
> Anyway, my goal bringing this up was to try to accommodate the sizes. a bit better for novice users who run with the default system partitioning.
>
> Thanks,
> Carlos
>
> > On 29 Jun 2015, at 00:46, Alexander Salmin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Read up on the Automatic disk allocation chapter in the disklabel manual as mentioned by Raf. Basically partitions are dynamically allocated based on total disk-space with a few exceptions - the following paths have their own partitions on disks larger than 7G (so you are mistaken about the /usr/src part, as Raf said). Maybe you should use "make clean" after your jobs? What exactly is using all your disk space? I suggest reading "15.3.6 - Cleaning up after a build" at http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
> >
> > 2G /usr/src
> > 2G /usr/obj
> > 10G /usr/local
> > 1G /usr/X11R6
> >
> > Alexander

> >> Hi Carlos,

> >> It all depends on the size of your disk but most likely you are mistaken.
> >>
> >> man 8 disklabel
> >>
> >> Raf

I'm not sure about how automatic does they order of partitions, but if
they are in consecutive order on the disklabel, not of the partion name
but in the order of locations on the disk,

disklabek sd0 gives

snip

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  a:          2097152               64  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /
  b:         12549504          2097216    swap                   # none
  c:       3906963456                0  unused
  d:          2097152       1891557312  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1
  e:         16771872         16739712  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /tmp
  f:         62910528         33511584  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /var
  g:         12578912         96422112  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /usr
  h:        104856256        109001024  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /usr/local
  i:        104872320        213857280  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /var/www/var
  j:         41929664       2732511872  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /usr/bld
  m:        838857408       1893654464  4.2BSD   4096 32768    1 # /home
  n:        251658240       1199509248  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /home-WD
  o:        125821088       1451167488  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1 # /home-HDS
  p:        314568704       1576988608  4.2BSD   4096 32768    1 # /home-WDC

look at the offsets, for example, the offset for /usr/bld 2732511872 and for /home 1893654464 means that the are not right next to each other.
However, /tmp 16739712 and /var 33511584 are next to each other.

using disklabel, with the two unmounted, you can d f and d e and then a e and use the total space of the area that /tmp and /var used and set the mount point as /tmp.
Obviously this would be disastrous with the lack of /var! :(

Now use fsck and growfs (NOT newfs!!) and you have made an larger /tmp and done away with /var completely.

Read all the man pages very carefully first. Backup /usr first, too, if possible.

if you have /usr /usr/src /usr/obj in that order (or /usr/obj first after /usr), just growfs /usr into /usr/src space, then repeat with /usr/obj. Only matters that /usr is first.

I have done this many times and it has saved me the grief you are having.

If you later build a custom set, be sure to put partitions you can sacrifice later in order on the disk, else you are screwed.

Wish you luck!

Chris Bennett

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

trondd-2
On Mon, June 29, 2015 4:05 am, Carlos Fenollosa wrote:
> For a novice user, theyâ**re going to be constrained with the current
> defaults when they want to compile some big port â** thatâ**s my case, I
> canâ**t build php-5.6 because of disk space, and Iâ**ve run â**make
> cleanâ** on all subfolders so there is nothing else to get space from.
>
> Anyway, my goal bringing this up was to try to accommodate the sizes. a
> bit better for novice users who run with the default system partitioning.

Novice users are strongly encouraged to use packages and not to build
ports.  Learn the system first, then you can play around with ports and
disk partitioning, etc.

Sounds like a pain in the butt, but BSD is great in that there is a
relativly strong seperation of system vs user files so it's very simple to
backup the stuff you've changed, reinstall from scratch, and reapply your
changes.

Tim.

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Carlos Fenollosa
> Novice users are strongly encouraged to use packages and not to build
> ports.  Learn the system first, then you can play around with ports and
> disk partitioning, etc.
>
> Sounds like a pain in the butt, but BSD is great in that there is a
> relativly strong seperation of system vs user files so it's very simple to
> backup the stuff you've changed, reinstall from scratch, and reapply your
> changes.

Hi Tim, this is true. However, at some point, even novice users might need to build a port to apply some errata. If that port is one of the big ones (php, in my case), they may realize that they don’t have enough disk space.

Granted, there are workarounds. What I’m really asking is, are there any strong arguments against increasing /usr default size to 5GB instead of 2GB on large disks? Users which go with the default settings are probably the ones who need it the most.

Anyway, I won’t push further, since this is probably a discussion that could go for long.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ve already solved my problem, but I thought it could be useful to have (in my opinion) better defaults so that other people don’t run into this wall at some point.

Carlos

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

lists-2
> However, at some point, even novice users might need to build a port to apply some errata.

For novice users the documentation recommends using packages mainly.

> If that port is one of the big ones (php, in my case), they may
> realize that they don’t have enough disk space.
> Granted, there are workarounds.

You could try setting the locations in PORTSDIR, WRKOBJDIR, DISTDIR &
PACKAGE_REPOSITORY according to your liking in /etc/mk.conf

man 7 ports

> What I’m really asking is, are there any strong arguments against
> increasing /usr default size to 5GB instead of 2GB on large disks?
> Users which go with the default settings are probably the ones who
> need it the most.

man 8 disklabel

Note: the defaults are sufficient for building most of the time, and
the above suggested variables can help you out with cases when you are
stuck with smaller partitions.

> Anyway, I won’t push further, since this is probably a discussion that could go for long.

Not really.

> Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ve already solved my problem, but I thought it could be useful to have (in my opinion) better defaults so that other people don’t run into this wall at some point.

You could try the patch stunt :-) No hard feelings, your
added explanation was enough to discern any suspicion of "agenda".

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

frantisek holop
Carlos Fenollosa, 29 Jun 2015 15:24:
> Hi Tim, this is true. However, at some point, even
> novice users might need to build a port to apply some
> errata. If that port is one of the big ones (php, in
> my case), they may realize that they don’t have
> enough disk space.

everyone has different needs of course, but in my 15+
years of openbsd usage both on desktop and servers i
needed to build ports exactly <counting fingers on 1
hand, give or take> times.

for important infrastructure software more often than
not security patches are applied also backwards to
-stable releases and a simple pkg_add -u will do the
same as apt-get update/upgrade.  of course man-power is
not the same so only the real pressing security issues
get this treatment.

also, only 2 version numbers are supported at any given
time, giving you 6+6 months to plan upgrades.  too fast
for some, too slow for others. in any case, you won't
see ancient software on openbsd servers, unlike on
some glacier paced linux distros where php5.5 would
be considered bleeding edge.

desktop users tend to live on -current as ports
development follow -current.  it takes a bit of
getting used to as the base system can get out
of sync with snapshot ports for a couple
of days at times, but that sounds scarier
than it really is.  i know it is time for
a system update when i get shared library
version mismatch error messages when updating
ports.

the only reasons i had to make packages:

1. the package does not come in the FLAVOR
you want, as not all possible combinations
are made into packages (man ports)
for example vim-7.4.692-gtk2-perl-python-ruby
but you want python3-lua-whatever

2. making a debug build (to send bug reports)

3. there is no port for what you want, or your
port was rejected for some reason, it's WIP, etc.
in this case you still get to use the wonderful
scaffolding already in place, and can make
packages often with just a couple of lines
in a Makefile.  creates packages you can
update/remove/etc just like "official" ones.

4. you don't want to wait until your ports mirror
catches up with its pre-built and you have a
machine with 128G of ram to compile firefox.

the fact is, openbsd made me into a lazy admin
when it comes to packages, and it is a breath
of fresh air every time i come back from work
(ubuntu/debian/osx).

-f
you will become rich and famous unless you don't.

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

lists-2
> everyone has different needs of course, but in my 15+
> years of openbsd usage both on desktop and servers i
> needed to build ports exactly <counting fingers on 1
> hand, give or take> times.

Same experience my end too with OpenBSD. I have had a couple very rare
occasions in a long time that something may have needed to be compiled
from ports manually. Mainly as a test case, rather than any real usage
of that port.

In contrast with other operating systems pretending to offer ports and
ease of software installation from sources, where most of the time is
wasted on compiling and recompiling to stay on top of updates, due to
either lack of packages, or insane (in more than one meaning of the
word) defaults and option choices, messed up package managers and
dependency hell.

Probably sounds pretty familiar to advanced users outside OpenBSD.

Newcomers may feel the need to follow habit and run outdated base with
recompiling used ports in an attempt to keep a reproducible fixed
environment, but that's not the better approach in my opinion.

Solutions to this are many and depend on the use case, but the simplest
and by far the best starting point is a fixed up (meaning
improved, properly updated, recent patches etc with sane flavours)
ports one may need and freedom to select snapshots or release, and
optionally follow -current or -stable base accordingly.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors

> for important infrastructure software more often than
> not security patches are applied also backwards to
> -stable releases and a simple pkg_add -u will do the
> same as apt-get update/upgrade.  of course man-power is
> not the same so only the real pressing security issues
> get this treatment.

This is an important note for newcomers, so they don't feel insecure
(or pressed to do compilations) if they select to follow -stable.

Yet again, following snapshots in a reproducible (and optionally)
automated manner or better - is the most logical choice for
anyone devoting their systems to OpenBSD.

> in any case, you won't
> see ancient software on openbsd servers

Yes, similar observations here too and this is considered a good
practice no matter manual or automated, what operating system, use
case, number of systems etc unless some very special reason exists not
to do so.

The usual reasons a novice or even power users grow over time are in
most cases not the exception to the above.

> desktop users tend to live on -current as ports
> development follow -current.

And it is very easy to keep up with -current in my experience.
Recommending this to people coming from Linux (both novice and
veterans) for a number of reasons.

> the only reasons i had to make packages:
>
> 1. the package does not come in the FLAVOR
> you want, as not all possible combinations
> are made into packages (man ports)
> for example vim-7.4.692-gtk2-perl-python-ruby
> but you want python3-lua-whatever
>
> 2. making a debug build (to send bug reports)

And also potentially the better path towards fixing up and
improving the ports normal condition, instead of freezing everything in
time and relying on recompilation for security updates.

The frozen back in time may even be considered a flawed practice, except
when deemed mandatory in special cases.

> 3. there is no port for what you want, or your
> port was rejected for some reason, it's WIP, etc.
> in this case you still get to use the wonderful
> scaffolding already in place, and can make
> packages often with just a couple of lines
> in a Makefile.  creates packages you can
> update/remove/etc just like "official" ones.

This is a good suggestion for power users that need to create
reproducible environments on multiple systems, in case the package is
not to their taste.

May even be extended further to become port maintainer for non existing
ports.

In my opinion, for most usage cases by far the best reproducible
environments are snapshots + selected packages from a mirror and
lightweight deployment scripting and then simply following -current and
upgrading the various environments according to one's selected
procedures.

> 4. you don't want to wait until your ports mirror
> catches up with its pre-built and you have a
> machine with 128G of ram to compile firefox.

5. when the port maintainer is slacking and not updating in longer
periods and you experience memory leaks, other faults or need to update
for security reasons before port maintainer manages to catch up

In this case mailing the respective port maintainer may also be a
recommended pro-active approach to fixing the issues for a larger group
of people, not just personal needs.

> the fact is, openbsd made me into a lazy admin
> when it comes to packages, and it is a breath
> of fresh air every time i come back from work
> (ubuntu/debian/osx).

Most definitely the OpenBSD packages is the best process known to me
too, and saves a lot of time. Thus provides room for other personal
improvements and development, making each user a better skilled one in
other areas as well. This is how OpenBSD has helped me achieve more
over the years to begin with.

Thank you for the excellent summary, this is an example of valuable
information to consider for anyone that might need to improve their
suggestions to fine tune the migration from Linux FAQ section.

Re: Regarding the default /usr partitioning

Joel Rees-2
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Carlos Fenollosa
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m a new OpenBSD user, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed thoroughly already.
>
> I installed a new box using the default partitioning (2GB for /usr) and I found that it’s a bit insufficient since /usr/ports, /usr/xenocara and /usr/src hang from there on the same partition, and eat up most of those 2GB. I’ve searched online and some users also found the same problem
>
> Do you think it would be a good idea to increase that number to about 5GB? I could try to write a simple patch for it.

When you're coming in from the Linux world (or from the commercial
OSses), you tend to expect guesswork to get you something close to a
useable workstation.

Actually, it does, for a wide range of definitions of "useable". But
there are surprises.

I have found myself buying a cheap (used) netbook to experiment with,
and, over the last month and a half or so, I have found some of the
reasons for the defaults being calculated as they are. Some of those
reasons have been mentioned or alluded to in this thread.

Not to say you shouldn't change them for your uses. You should. And
you should expect to learn something from the choices you make.

But, yeah, if you have enough disk space to give /usr 4G or even 8, do
so. Also, you may need to re-purpose some of the automatic partition
assignments to the other OSses you are dual-booting. (You can change
those when you need, and you probably won't want to be reading from
your Linux partition and writing to your MSWindows boot partition at
any point and saving error messages to the FAT formatted shared
partition, now, will you?)

(When/if I get good enough with the tools here, I might experiment
with options for enabling more partition names, but I'm sure I'll have
to have a pretty airtight case for the breakage that will ensue before
I can expect the developers to take it seriously.

In the meantime, an external USB3 enclosure does the job for some of
the stuff I do, including compiling the OS, etc. At least, it's not
the bottleneck on this netbook, or any other hardware I currently
have. I have fundamental disagreements with USB, but it works for
now.)

Joel Rees