Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

shashi ranjan
Hi,

We are currently working on a research project in which we need to install
openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2 which doesn't have keyboard, monitor and mouse.
Does anybody has any idea how to install openbsd on such ULTRASPARC T2.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Shashi

Re: Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

Mark Kettenis

Serial console, typically through ALOM/ILOM works absolutely fine.

Re: Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

shashi ranjan
Hi Mark,

ULTRASPARC T2 what I have doesn't have any monitor or keyboard connected to
it. It does not have operating system installed currently. I am not able to
figure out how to access serial console without booting.

Can you please provide step by step process. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Shashi Ranjan

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:21:56 -0500
> > From: shashi ranjan <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are currently working on a research project in which we need to
> install
> > openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2 which doesn't have keyboard, monitor and mouse.
> > Does anybody has any idea how to install openbsd on such ULTRASPARC T2.
> >
> > Any suggestion is much appreciated.
>
> Serial console, typically through ALOM/ILOM works absolutely fine.

Re: Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

Stefan Johansson-6

Re: Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

John Long-4
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 07:10:29PM -0500, shashi ranjan wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> ULTRASPARC T2 what I have doesn't have any monitor or keyboard connected to
> it. It does not have operating system installed currently. I am not able to
> figure out how to access serial console without booting.

Plug a CISCO router cable or equivalent (RJ45<-->DB9) into the "Serial Mgt"
port on your server and plug the DB9 end into a terminal or PC with a serial
port. Then use something like minicom (or better yet if running OpenBSD use
cu) and you can tell the server what to do over serial.

If you don't know how to use a server there is going to be some learning
curve. It's not rocket surgery but you're asking a lot at one time here.
You will need to know a few basic ALOM and OBP commands and you will have to
know how to use a terminal program. If you don't know how ask somebody at
your location who has done this before because I could show you in 5 minutes
but I don't know if I could explain it in an hour unless I am doing it while
I type in the explanation.. Once you know how, getting to the installer is
identical regardless of OS. Read the INSTALL.sparc64 file for pointers. If
you don't have a CD/DVD drive then your life just got a lot more complicated.

If all else fails send me the server and I will install OpenBSD on it and
set up a shell account for you and I will keep the box for myself when your
project is over and thank you for your contribution.

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Re: Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

Palle Lyckegaard
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, shashi ranjan wrote:

> Any suggestion is much appreciated.

why not read the docs from Oracle (Sun):

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19637-01/   (docs for a Sun SPARC Enterprise
T5220 Server)

I don't know which T2 based system you have, but the above should help.

regards
Palle

Re: Regarding installation of openbsd on ULTRASPARC T2

Paolo Aglialoro
Maybe a bit off topic, but considering ldoms have already shown up in this
thread, this is mainly for Mark, and open to whoever knows:

- is it possible to specify more than one vnet per ldom in ldom.conf? (e.g.
eventually bridging them to different physical interfaces to
separate/distribute traffic)

- are owner/permissions on vdisk files subject to any rule or does anything
from root/777 to user/600 fit?

- is there some strategy to consistently backup vdisk files without turning
obsd instances in their ldoms down?

- when will kernel take full advantage of sun4v hyperthreading?

Thanks