RedHat and Linux emulation

ea4nz
Hello.

Just for curiosity, yesterday I was thinking about Linux emulation and
redhat OpenBSD packages. I would like to know if it is planned to
switch to some more free Linux distribution like Debian instead of Red
Hat to be used as the base system for Linux emulation.

Thanks in advance.
Ramiro.

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:54:35AM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
>Just for curiosity, yesterday I was thinking about Linux emulation and
>redhat OpenBSD packages. I would like to know if it is planned to
>switch to some more free Linux distribution like Debian instead of Red
>Hat to be used as the base system for Linux emulation.

In what exact way is Debian more free than Redhat with respect to the
portions OpenBSD takes for the emulation stuff?

>Thanks in advance.
>Ramiro.

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

ea4nz
Hello

> In what exact way is Debian more free than Redhat with respect to the
> portions OpenBSD takes for the emulation stuff?

I am not an expert in this kind of issues, I just have some curiosity.
You understand what I mean, RedHat 9 was the latest freely available
RH version. RH 9 is becoming outdated, will you switch to Fedora? will
you switch to another Linux distro?

Thanks.

Ramiro.

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

Ted Unangst-2
On 3/2/06, Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In what exact way is Debian more free than Redhat with respect to the
> > portions OpenBSD takes for the emulation stuff?
>
> I am not an expert in this kind of issues, I just have some curiosity.
> You understand what I mean, RedHat 9 was the latest freely available
> RH version. RH 9 is becoming outdated, will you switch to Fedora? will
> you switch to another Linux distro?

you can use whatever libraries you like.  what's the point of a "more
free" distro when the only use for emulation is to run non-free
software?

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

Reyk Floeter-2
Ted Unangst wrote:
> you can use whatever libraries you like.  what's the point of a "more
> free" distro when the only use for emulation is to run non-free
> software?

or non-portable software like OpenOffice

reyk

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

Antonios Anastasiadis
by the way,what is the status of the openoffice native port?

On 3/3/06, Reyk Floeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ted Unangst wrote:
> > you can use whatever libraries you like.  what's the point of a "more
> > free" distro when the only use for emulation is to run non-free
> > software?
> >

> or non-portable software like OpenOffice
>
> reyk

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

Paul de Weerd
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:32:58AM +0100, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
| Hello!
|
| On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:54:35AM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
| >Just for curiosity, yesterday I was thinking about Linux emulation and
| >redhat OpenBSD packages. I would like to know if it is planned to
| >switch to some more free Linux distribution like Debian instead of Red
| >Hat to be used as the base system for Linux emulation.
|
| In what exact way is Debian more free than Redhat with respect to the
| portions OpenBSD takes for the emulation stuff?

Using another distribution (freely downloadable etc) will make it
easier to update the port in case of security issues after Red Hat
stopped fixing bugs in their legacy RPM's.

Not a very strong point, I agree, but a point nonetheless.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: RedHat and Linux emulation

David Terrell
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:58:27PM +0100, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> Using another distribution (freely downloadable etc) will make it
> easier to update the port in case of security issues after Red Hat
> stopped fixing bugs in their legacy RPM's.
>
> Not a very strong point, I agree, but a point nonetheless.

Yes, but do these more up to date userlands expect more "exotic"
(politely phrased) kernel features that OpenBSD doesn't emulate?

Ramiro Aceves wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Just for curiosity, yesterday I was thinking about Linux emulation and
> redhat OpenBSD packages. I would like to know if it is planned to
> switch to some more free Linux distribution like Debian instead of Red
> Hat to be used as the base system for Linux emulation.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Ramiro.

Thank you very much to all who replied to my question.

Ramiro.