Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

jebyrnes
Hello, all.  I have a question.  A long time ago in college I ran an openBSD server.  It was an old, cantankerous machine, and eventually something happened to the motherboard, and it died.  The drives, with all of their data, are still fine.  In fact, I'd like to recover the data.  In my current situation, I don't have access to the equipment to put together a new box with the old drives in it.  I would like to get the data, off, however.  All I have is a mac laptop.

Will OSX be able to access these drives?  Are their any utilities that would help in this?  It's been a while since I hacked around at this level, so would appreciate any advice you all could give.  Thanks.

Re: Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

fuzzyping
On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:50:48PM -0700, jebyrnes wrote:

> Hello, all.  I have a question.  A long time ago in college I ran an openBSD
> server.  It was an old, cantankerous machine, and eventually something
> happened to the motherboard, and it died.  The drives, with all of their
> data, are still fine.  In fact, I'd like to recover the data.  In my current
> situation, I don't have access to the equipment to put together a new box
> with the old drives in it.  I would like to get the data, off, however.  All
> I have is a mac laptop.
>
> Will OSX be able to access these drives?  Are their any utilities that would
> help in this?  It's been a while since I hacked around at this level, so
> would appreciate any advice you all could give.  Thanks.

Find an external USB enclosure.  Toss them in.  Connect it.  Boot
OpenBSD in a virtual machine.  Mount drive.  Read files.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net/

Re: Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

bofh-6
I'd s/external usb enclosure/ide+sata->usb adapter/

Much more flexible, and cheaper, iirc.

--
Sent from my mobile device

http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk
"This officer's men seem to follow him merely out of idle curiosity."
-- Sandhurst officer cadet evaluation.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or
internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks
factory where smoking on the job is permitted."  -- Gene Spafford
learn french:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1G-3laJJP0&feature=related

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 06:13:38PM -0400, bofh wrote:

> On 5/1/09, Jason Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:50:48PM -0700, jebyrnes wrote:
> >> Hello, all.  I have a question.  A long time ago in college I ran an
> >> openBSD
> >> server.  It was an old, cantankerous machine, and eventually something
> >> happened to the motherboard, and it died.  The drives, with all of their
> >> data, are still fine.  In fact, I'd like to recover the data.  In my
> >> current
> >> situation, I don't have access to the equipment to put together a new box
> >> with the old drives in it.  I would like to get the data, off, however.
> >> All
> >> I have is a mac laptop.
> >>
> >> Will OSX be able to access these drives?  Are their any utilities that
> >> would
> >> help in this?  It's been a while since I hacked around at this level, so
> >> would appreciate any advice you all could give.  Thanks.
> >
> > Find an external USB enclosure.  Toss them in.  Connect it.  Boot
> > OpenBSD in a virtual machine.  Mount drive.  Read files.
> >
> I'd s/external usb enclosure/ide+sata->usb adapter/
>
> Much more flexible, and cheaper, iirc.

Technically, I said _find_, not buy.  ;)

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net/

Re: Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

jebyrnes
Indeed, that was my first impulse as well once I noticed that the drive wouldn't mount under osx.  Something is odd, however, with VirtualPC, and though openbsd 4.4 installs just fine, it will not then boot.  Even though once I boot up the virtual machine using the CD, I can mount the newly formatted and installed drives just fine.  Hence, I was wondering if there was something more direct.

Hrm.

-Jarrett

Jason Dixon wrote
On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:50:48PM -0700, jebyrnes wrote:
> Hello, all.  I have a question.  A long time ago in college I ran an openBSD
> server.  It was an old, cantankerous machine, and eventually something
> happened to the motherboard, and it died.  The drives, with all of their
> data, are still fine.  In fact, I'd like to recover the data.  In my current
> situation, I don't have access to the equipment to put together a new box
> with the old drives in it.  I would like to get the data, off, however.  All
> I have is a mac laptop.
>
> Will OSX be able to access these drives?  Are their any utilities that would
> help in this?  It's been a while since I hacked around at this level, so
> would appreciate any advice you all could give.  Thanks.

Find an external USB enclosure.  Toss them in.  Connect it.  Boot
OpenBSD in a virtual machine.  Mount drive.  Read files.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net/

Re: Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

Nick Guenther
How does it not boot? What's the error/symptoms?

I know I had OpenBSD booting without a hitch in qemu under OS X. You
can either install it from darwinports or there's a GUI wrapper called
Q.app available somewhere.

On 03/05/2009, jebyrnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, that was my first impulse as well once I noticed that the drive
> wouldn't mount under osx.  Something is odd, however, with VirtualPC, and
> though openbsd 4.4 installs just fine, it will not then boot.  Even though
> once I boot up the virtual machine using the CD, I can mount the newly
> formatted and installed drives just fine.  Hence, I was wondering if there
> was something more direct.
>
> Hrm.
>
> -Jarrett
>

> Jason Dixon wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:50:48PM -0700, jebyrnes wrote:
>>> Hello, all.  I have a question.  A long time ago in college I ran an
>>> openBSD
>>> server.  It was an old, cantankerous machine, and eventually something
>>> happened to the motherboard, and it died.  The drives, with all of their
>>> data, are still fine.  In fact, I'd like to recover the data.  In my
>>> current
>>> situation, I don't have access to the equipment to put together a new box
>>> with the old drives in it.  I would like to get the data, off, however.
>>> All
>>> I have is a mac laptop.
>>>
>>> Will OSX be able to access these drives?  Are their any utilities that
>>> would
>>> help in this?  It's been a while since I hacked around at this level, so
>>> would appreciate any advice you all could give.  Thanks.
>>
>> Find an external USB enclosure.  Toss them in.  Connect it.  Boot
>> OpenBSD in a virtual machine.  Mount drive.  Read files.
>>
>> --
>> Jason Dixon
>> DixonGroup Consulting
>> http://www.dixongroup.net/

Re: Recovering data from OpenBSD drive using OSX

jebyrnes
You're right, qemu works like a charm for the install.  I've got Q running right now.  But - any advice on how to then access an external firewire drive?  Or I think I can get my hands on a usb enclosure....

Is it possible to even boot up from one using qemu?

Nick Guenther wrote