Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

Adam-2
If I recall correctly, some of you reported problems with PC Engines' default option Compex WLE200NX 802.11a/b/g/n.

Oh, there is a new Compex WLE600VX 802.11ac as well (for apu, please check software support first).

Or, perhaps, I'm better off buying a 3rd party one from Amazon? Intel modules are popular there.

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

trondd-2
On 2015-09-22 11:13, Adam wrote:
> If I recall correctly, some of you reported problems with PC Engines'
> default option Compex WLE200NX 802.11a/b/g/n.
>
> Oh, there is a new Compex WLE600VX 802.11ac as well (for apu, please
> check software support first).
>
> Or, perhaps, I'm better off buying a 3rd party one from Amazon? Intel
> modules are popular there.

I bought this card for my APU:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMZ8B2/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Has worked great in AP mode.  You will need the bracket to make it full
height.  When I bought it, it was $15, too.

If I remember correctly, it shipped from China or Tiawan and the
estimate was a month, but it arrived in maybe 10 days.  You might want
to try to find one more local, I wasn't able to.

Tim.

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

Adam-2
> I bought this card for my APU:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMZ8B2/
>
> Has worked great in AP mode.  You will need the
> bracket to make it full height.  When I bought
> it, it was $15, too.
>
> If I remember correctly, it shipped from China or
> Tiawan and the estimate was a month, but it
> arrived in maybe 10 days. You might want
> to try to find one more local, I wasn't able to.

So the one you recommend from Amazon got some mediocre reviews and comes from Asia. But it works, good for you, that's a plus. It is also a Qualcomm Atheros, maybe not so dissimilar from the ones PC Engines sells on their site:
http://www.pcengines.ch/wle200nx.htm and
http://www.pcengines.ch/wle600vx.htm

On Amazon there are better reviewed Broadcom and Intel modules, shipping from USA, sold/fulfilled by Amazon, etc.

Or who knows, since then PC Engines may offer revised modules which work better.

Anyone has any +/- experiences with any of the add-on boards which works (or doesn't work) with the APU boards? Praise or recommend against any particular build?

The reason I am so onto this, is, there has been so many posts and threads has been here praising the PC Engines APU boards. I assume quite a few of you use it as a router, given its Ethernet ports. Then, why not add a wireless access point, too? That might be a popular request as well.

Wi-Fi is important, but unfortunately it's a hit and miss.

Thanks

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

mbregg
> The reason I am so onto this, is, there has been so many posts and
> threads has been here praising the PC Engines APU boards. I assume
> quite a few of you use it as a router, given its Ethernet ports. Then,
> why not add a wireless access point, too? That might be a popular
> request as well.
>
> Wi-Fi is important, but unfortunately it's a hit and miss.
>
> Thanks

I'm using an APU as a firewall/router and it works very well.  However,
after experimenting with some different wireless cards, I actually opted
to install a separate EnGenius EAP600 Access Point on the main floor of
my house, using PoE to run to the router/switch.

This was a better solution for me as the router was in the basement, and
the wireless signal from the APU wasn't very good.

To answer your original question, the card that seemed to work the best
in the APU was an Atheros AR9280.

Regards,
Mike

On 2015-09-23, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I bought this card for my APU:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMZ8B2/
>>
>> Has worked great in AP mode.  You will need the
>> bracket to make it full height.  When I bought
>> it, it was $15, too.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, it shipped from China or
>> Tiawan and the estimate was a month, but it
>> arrived in maybe 10 days. You might want
>> to try to find one more local, I wasn't able to.
>
> So the one you recommend from Amazon got some mediocre reviews and comes from Asia. But it works, good for you, that's a plus. It is also a Qualcomm Atheros, maybe not so dissimilar from the ones PC Engines sells on their site:
> http://www.pcengines.ch/wle200nx.htm and

This one should work ok with athn(4).

> http://www.pcengines.ch/wle600vx.htm

This is a QCA9882 from the 802.11ac range, on Linux this uses the
Ath10k driver. Not yet supported on OpenBSD.

> On Amazon there are better reviewed Broadcom and Intel modules, shipping from USA, sold/fulfilled by Amazon, etc.

No HostAP on those. Broadcom is unlikely to work at all (unless it's an
old b/g one with certain firmware versions).

> Or who knows, since then PC Engines may offer revised modules which work better.
>
> Anyone has any +/- experiences with any of the add-on boards which works (or doesn't work) with the APU boards? Praise or recommend against any particular build?
>
> The reason I am so onto this, is, there has been so many posts and threads has been here praising the PC Engines APU boards. I assume quite a few of you use it as a router, given its Ethernet ports. Then, why not add a wireless access point, too? That might be a popular request as well.

I like to put my APs in positions that will give good radio coverage,
and routers in places where it's easier to run multiple cables to.
YMMV, but for me these are rarely in the same place.

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

Adam-2
>> So the one you recommend from Amazon got some
>> mediocre reviews and comes from Asia.
>> But it works, good for you, that's a plus. It is
>> also a Qualcomm Atheros, maybe not
>> so dissimilar from the ones PC Engines sells on
>> their site:
>> http://www.pcengines.ch/wle200nx.htm and
>
> This one should work ok with athn(4).

Huh, athn(4)? Which one is that? http://www.pcengines.ch/order1.php?c=4

No such SKU for PC Engines. Do you mean the APU board, perhaps?

Thanks for your additional tips, though.

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

Stuart Henderson
On 2015-09-24, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> So the one you recommend from Amazon got some
>>> mediocre reviews and comes from Asia.
>>> But it works, good for you, that's a plus. It is
>>> also a Qualcomm Atheros, maybe not
>>> so dissimilar from the ones PC Engines sells on
>>> their site:
>>> http://www.pcengines.ch/wle200nx.htm and
>>
>> This one should work ok with athn(4).
>
> Huh, athn(4)? Which one is that? http://www.pcengines.ch/order1.php?c=4
>
> No such SKU for PC Engines. Do you mean the APU board, perhaps?
>
> Thanks for your additional tips, though.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/athn.4?query=athn

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

Adam Thompson
On 15-09-23 05:01 PM, Mike Bregg wrote:
> I'm using an APU as a firewall/router and it works very well.
> However, after experimenting with some different wireless cards, I
> actually opted to install a separate EnGenius EAP600 Access Point on
> the main floor of my house, using PoE to run to the router/switch.

[OT, sorry...]

One word of warning: don't *ever* put an EnGenius AP outside the
firewall... it has an open DNS resolver running on it that you can't
disable.  Found that out the hard way when I used an EAP600 to bridge a
cable modem connection to a router in another room :-(.

-Adam

Re: Recommended miniPCI express wireless module for PC Engines' APU system board?

mbregg
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Adam Thompson <[hidden email]>
wrote:
On 15-09-23 05:01 PM, Mike Bregg wrote:
 > I'm using an APU as a firewall/router and it works very well.
 > However, after experimenting with some different wireless cards, I
 > actually opted to install a separate EnGenius EAP600 Access Point on
 > the main floor of my house, using PoE to run to the router/switch.

[OT, sorry...]

One word of warning: don't *ever* put an EnGenius AP outside the
firewall... it has an open DNS resolver running on it that you can't
disable. Found that out the hard way when I used an EAP600 to bridge a
cable modem connection to a router in another room :-(.

-Adam
Good to know, thanks for the heads up Adam.
Mike