Re: which ISO for a VM?

Gleydson Soares-4
virtualize your brain. it is nice.

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Zachary Uram <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
> there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
> recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
> virtualization?
>
> Regards,
> Zach
>
> <>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Christiano F. Haesbaert
On 3 April 2010 15:56, Gleydson Soares <[hidden email]> wrote:
> virtualize your brain. it is nice.

What a stupid comment, why don't you shut up ?

If you have nothing to add to a valid question why bother wasting bandwith ?

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Sean Kennedy-5
> Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:36:14 -0300
> Subject: Re: which ISO for a VM?
> On 3 April 2010 15:56, Gleydson Soares <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > virtualize your brain. it is nice.
> >
> What a stupid comment, why don't you shut up ?
> If you have nothing to add to a valid question why bother wasting bandwith
?

I concur,  it was a Valid question on running OpenBSD in a VM.

Unless someone has answered directly, I'll short-run it here.

Running OpenBSD in a VM is doable, similar to running an MS-DOS or 32-bit
Real-Time (Like Phar-Lap)
executive in a Guest with all BIOS features available.
You cannot add VM-Features to OpenBSD (Like CentOS and other Linus'es)
But You cannot do that really with RT Execs either.

There May be a VM guest ISO image with OpenBSD 4.0 or 4.1 (*last I saw any*)
but build it yourself, it's worth the time spent.

If anything, I suggest purchasing a previously owned off-lease CPU to use to
build and test upon, rather than a VM.

VM's are all good, to provide either a mobile snapshot of a system to test or
play with, but you can't do anything really advanced with it.

-sean

Hotmail & Messenger. Get them on your phone now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724463

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Richard Stride
Sean Kennedy wrote:

> I concur,  it was a Valid question on running OpenBSD in a VM.
>
> Unless someone has answered directly, I'll short-run it here.

Just to add my 2 cents, I run OpenBSD-current (i386) under VirtualBox
3.0.4 r50677 64-bit. The host operating system is Slackware 13 64 bit.
I got to -current by installing OpenBSD 4.3 from the ISO image, and
followed the upgrade guide from the OpenBSD website.
Be warned, all I use that VM for is to compile the OpenBSD sources, it
does nothing else.

I have tried running OpenBSD under other versions of VirtualBox using
different host operating systems, however there were always issues which
would generally lead to various issues including kernel panics.

My advice is to not run it virtualized.

Rich

Re: which ISO for a VM?

matteo filippetto
2010/4/5 Richard Stride <[hidden email]>:

> Sean Kennedy wrote:
>>
>> I concur, B it was a Valid question on running OpenBSD in a VM.
>>
>> Unless someone has answered directly, I'll short-run it here.
>>

> Just to add my 2 cents, I run OpenBSD-current (i386) under VirtualBox 3.0.4
> r50677 64-bit. The host operating system is Slackware 13 64 bit.
> I got to -current by installing OpenBSD 4.3 from the ISO image, and
followed

> the upgrade guide from the OpenBSD website.
> Be warned, all I use that VM for is to compile the OpenBSD sources, it does
> nothing else.
>
> I have tried running OpenBSD under other versions of VirtualBox using
> different host operating systems, however there were always issues which
> would generally lead to various issues including kernel panics.
>
> My advice is to not run it virtualized.
>
> Rich

I run 3 openbsd 4.6 virtualized with VBox (3.1.6 ) on a MacBook
and I have no problem running services as DHCP, HTTP, DNS
and others.

Best regards

Matteo Filippetto

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Gleydson Soares-4
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Sean Kennedy <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> I concur,  it was a Valid question on running OpenBSD in a VM.

really, i was very radical in the last email. really. shut it up and
hack. maybe starting helping the virtualbox guys to close the related
bug at  http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/639. i think, it hasn't been
fixed.