Re: vmd[]: rtc_update_rega: set non-32KHz timebase not supported

Re: vmd[]: rtc_update_rega: set non-32KHz timebase not supported

Long Wu Yuan
Hi,

> I am on current. Alpinelinux x86_64 VMs, created from standard/virt ISO of alpinelinux version 3.10/3.9/3.8, consistently freeze and "vmctl show" displays "stopped state.
>
> The only message logged is copy/pasted as subject here as well ;
>
>  vmd[]: rtc_update_rega: set non-32KHz timebase not supported
>
> Thanks,
> ; Long

Re: vmd[]: rtc_update_rega: set non-32KHz timebase not supported

Mike Larkin-2
On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 10:31:32PM +0000, Long Wu Yuan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I am on current. Alpinelinux x86_64 VMs, created from standard/virt ISO of alpinelinux version 3.10/3.9/3.8, consistently freeze and "vmctl show" displays "stopped state.
> >
> > The only message logged is copy/pasted as subject here as well ;
> >
> >  vmd[]: rtc_update_rega: set non-32KHz timebase not supported
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ; Long

That message is harmless. The hang is likely caused by something else.

Please re-test using a kernel built with VMM_DEBUG (uncomment at the top
of vmm.c) and send me the output of dmesg right after it hangs.

-ml

Re: vmd[]: rtc_update_rega: set non-32KHz timebase not supported

Long Wu Yuan
I upgradee to current today and at least alpine vm is not freezing or locking up.

CVS shows ;

vmm/vmd:  Fix migration with pvclock

Implement VMM_IOC_READVMPARAMS and VMM_IOC_WRITEVMPARAMS ioctls to read and
write pvclock state.

I am not a developer so I don't understand even one bit of this but wanted to express my gratitude as this means a lot. Gratitude for OpenBSd and double gratitude for vmd.

Now I will look for how to "close" this bug.

@Mike, forever grateful.

Thanks,
; Long