Re: user/5162

Theo de Raadt
Synopsis: perturb (XOR) timestamps in ping(8) much like traceroute(8)

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: deraadt
State-Changed-When: Thu Aug 31 01:43:54 MDT 2006
State-Changed-Why:
perturbing off a single cookie, using xor, does not help because
the timestamp can be gotten back so easily.  traceroute does this
slightly differently, and has a different usage pattern.
i worry this will actually break things.
and you did not really test it, since you did not initialize one of
your perturbances.
otto and dlg and i agree this is not worthwhile.

Re: user/5162

Peter J. Philipp
On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:45:30AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> Synopsis: perturb (XOR) timestamps in ping(8) much like traceroute(8)
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: deraadt
> State-Changed-When: Thu Aug 31 01:43:54 MDT 2006
> State-Changed-Why:
> perturbing off a single cookie, using xor, does not help because
> the timestamp can be gotten back so easily.  traceroute does this
> slightly differently, and has a different usage pattern.
> i worry this will actually break things.
> and you did not really test it, since you did not initialize one of
> your perturbances.
> otto and dlg and i agree this is not worthwhile.

Ok fair enough.  I sorta cringed minutes after I sent the patch about that
small bug, but didn't comment since I wondered whether you guys would find
it.  Anyhow the idea itself got exposed.  Have a nice week!

-p

--
Here my ticker tape .signature #### My name is Peter Philipp #### lynx -dump "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pufferfish&oldid=20768394" | sed -n 131,136p #### http://centroid.eu #### So long and thanks for all the fish!!!