Re: use /dev/dri/ in xenocara

Landry Breuil-5
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 02:47:28PM +0100, Damien Couderc wrote:

> Le 18/02/2021 à 13:11, Jonathan Gray a écrit :
> > > unveils: not afaik
> > >
> > > others: gdm already handled it, some other ports will need patches changing:
> > >
> > > graphics/clutter/cogl/patches/patch-cogl_winsys_cogl-winsys-egl-kms_c
> > > graphics/waffle/patches/patch-src_waffle_gbm_wgbm_display_c
> > > x11/compton/patches/patch-src_compton_c
> > > x11/slim/patches/patch-slim_conf
> > This is a display manager like xdm/gdm.  The last upstream release was
> > in 2013.  I can patch it after the xenocara changes go in or perhaps we
> > remove it as landry suggested in
>
> I am using slim on my children computers since many years now and it works
> very well. This could explain why there is nothing done upstream: no bug, no
> fix and features are already there.

Well it's a login manager (so a tiny bit security sensitive, no ? :),
last i looked at the code it wasnt that pretty
(https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-2945,
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-1756  ...), and
all distros shipping it heavily patch it with various features for
systemd/logind/pam/consolekit/etc... a bit of a frankeinstein i'd say.
Sure, it "works", but i wouldnt say it's the best maintained login
manager out there :) And i'd argue that if grok X properties, you can
easily achieve the same look'n' feel with xenodm.

anyway; moving to ports@.

Landry

Re: use /dev/dri/ in xenocara

Damien Couderc-4
Le 18/02/2021 à 16:36, Landry Breuil a écrit :

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 02:47:28PM +0100, Damien Couderc wrote:

>>> This is a display manager like xdm/gdm.  The last upstream release was
>>> in 2013.  I can patch it after the xenocara changes go in or perhaps we
>>> remove it as landry suggested in
>> I am using slim on my children computers since many years now and it works
>> very well. This could explain why there is nothing done upstream: no bug, no
>> fix and features are already there.
> Well it's a login manager (so a tiny bit security sensitive, no ? :),
> last i looked at the code it wasnt that pretty
> (https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-2945,
> https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-1756  ...), and
> all distros shipping it heavily patch it with various features for
> systemd/logind/pam/consolekit/etc... a bit of a frankeinstein i'd say.
> Sure, it "works", but i wouldnt say it's the best maintained login
> manager out there :) And i'd argue that if grok X properties, you can
> easily achieve the same look'n' feel with xenodm.
>
> anyway; moving to ports@.
>
> Landry

Hi Landry,

Yep I was already thinking about looking into customizing xenodm to
avoid the need to install slim. It was a simple solution for a local
only login manager with themes easily customizable for each of my little
princesses.

Damien

[update] slim 1.3.9 [was: Re: use /dev/dri/ in xenocara]

Landry Breuil-5
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 04:36:34PM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 02:47:28PM +0100, Damien Couderc wrote:

> > > This is a display manager like xdm/gdm.  The last upstream release was
> > > in 2013.  I can patch it after the xenocara changes go in or perhaps we
> > > remove it as landry suggested in
> >
> > I am using slim on my children computers since many years now and it works
> > very well. This could explain why there is nothing done upstream: no bug, no
> > fix and features are already there.
>
> Well it's a login manager (so a tiny bit security sensitive, no ? :),
> last i looked at the code it wasnt that pretty
> (https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-2945,
> https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-1756  ...), and
> all distros shipping it heavily patch it with various features for
> systemd/logind/pam/consolekit/etc... a bit of a frankeinstein i'd say.
> Sure, it "works", but i wouldnt say it's the best maintained login
> manager out there :) And i'd argue that if grok X properties, you can
> easily achieve the same look'n' feel with xenodm.
So the dev/dri/card0 thing was fixed, and here's a diff to update slim
to this github fork (https://github.com/PeteGozz/slim), which was
'maintained' until 2018 by (apparently) a devuan contributor, from what
i can tell. Some patches from debian were merged, esp support for
xsessiondir which lists available sessions in /usr/local/share/xsessions
(cf
https://sources.debian.org/patches/slim/1.3.6-5.2/slim-add-sessiondir.patch/)
and it seems to work fine in basic testing. There's a new theme that
upstream set as default but it's a bit too psychedelic to my taste, so
i've set the original slim default theme.

Users of the existing slim port are more than welcome to test this
update. Otherwise the port might just hit the attic...

Landry

slim-1.3.9.diff (18K) Download Attachment