Re: switch lang/ghc to @define-tag/@tag

Greg Steuck
Hi Matthias and Marc,

On Fri, 2019-08-23 23:31:20 Marc Espie wrote:
>> I'm not sure about wether it's worth to try to avoid the collisions (I'd
>> prefer to just add a small note to the upgrade FAQ), nor am I shure
>> wether I should commit this change (to ghc and *all* hs-ports) now or
>> after I eventually update ghc to something newer.

> It's probably feasible to quirk the collision away... we did something
> like that a long time ago for texlive.
> I'll have to play a bit with it.

Do you think I should try incorporating the patch into the ghc upgrade or
is there a chance the approach will change enough?

Does it even make sense to combine the two big changes to reduce the total
amount of churn or does this just become harder to land?

Thanks
Greg
--
nest.cx is Gmail hosted, use PGP:
https://pgp.key-server.io/0x0B1542BD8DF5A1B0
Fingerprint: 5E2B 2D0E 1E03 2046 BEC3  4D50 0B15 42BD 8DF5 A1B0

Re: switch lang/ghc to @define-tag/@tag

Matthias Kilian
Hi,

On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 08:55:23PM -0700, Greg Steuck wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-08-23 23:31:20 Marc Espie wrote:
> >> I'm not sure about wether it's worth to try to avoid the collisions (I'd
> >> prefer to just add a small note to the upgrade FAQ), nor am I shure
> >> wether I should commit this change (to ghc and *all* hs-ports) now or
> >> after I eventually update ghc to something newer.
>
> > It's probably feasible to quirk the collision away... we did something
> > like that a long time ago for texlive.
> > I'll have to play a bit with it.
>
> Do you think I should try incorporating the patch into the ghc upgrade or
> is there a chance the approach will change enough?

I'll change and commit the current ports hopefully tomorrow or on
tuesday and also do the necessary changes to your work and send you
a diff or a pull request.

> Does it even make sense to combine the two big changes to reduce the total
> amount of churn or does this just become harder to land?

This should be really done in two steps.

Ciao,
        Kili