Quantcast

Re: [school-discuss] BASIC-256, Linux, &c.

Re: [school-discuss] BASIC-256, Linux, &c.

Daniel Villarreal
I won't argue that MS OS needs maintenance, but then they all do. I've
never heard of anyone accusing MS of "corrupting" hard drives, that's a new
one. Anyway, if you're interested in real operating systems, you might try
OpenBSD, if you care about quality and attention-to-detail, I would advise
you compare the different *BSD's and GNU/Linux OS's to each other. I have
relatively few problems with MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on an Intel
motherboard, with an WD Caviar Black HD, with USB3 issues being my main
concern. I have had a few issues with GNU/Linux after updating, that
shouldn't happen. If you have consistent problems with MS Windows 7, but
GNU/Linux isn't causing any apparent problem, you might check your drivers,
BIOS firmware for updates, etc.

regards,
Daniel Villarreal
http://youcanlinux.wordpress.com/

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Christopher Whittum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  Well put, Bull.  In my home, we have four computers (two desktops, two
> laptops).  Three of them run (Xubuntu) Linux.  My mom's runs Windows 7.
> Guess which computer racks up the most hours of maintenance time (it's the
> same one that has the recurring problem you mentioned below).

> ... what is being suggested is that windows is notorious for corrupting
> the hard drive and producing the errors you might be
> getting....
>
> My feeling is - get a real operating system that doesn't have those sort
> of problems. My wife use to use windows and we had that problem every year
> until she switched to a Mac, and since then we have never had a single
> problem. Of course I use Linux and don't have the problem as well.

Re: [school-discuss] BASIC-256, Linux, &c.

Joerg Stephan
I thought a while about replying to this mail, and well I feel I need
to:-)

I guess it is true that MS and of course MacOS causes less work or
problems as all the other operating systems do. But thats a matter of
fact. Like always, I believe that is not the OS, its the user causing
all of this.

Like my car, the car of my family in law is 14 years old, not causing
any problem. They drive 130km/h maximum and normally use it for
shopping twice a week. I drive my car 1200 km a week and at the speed
limit of my tires. So what would you guess? who has more problems with
the car?

And thats it, what does a MS or Mac user do normally? Switching the
computer on, surfing the net and shutting it down. Every little issue,
which not leads to a blue screen or to a freeze of the entire system is
just not recorded.

Linux and Unix users are a bit different. they normally do more or
different things, things which always leads to problems by playing
around. My wife was mad several times cause she was not able to print
via the fancy raspberry cups box, cause I played around, updating here,
changing config there.
who changes config or do upgrades (yes, upgrades, not this tiny little
updates which are not changing major version numbers) on a MS box. I
know nobody how upgraded from XP to 7. The people I know reinstalled it
or have 7 or 8 cause the new PC has it anyway.

So, I know a girl which has a broken Windows 7 professional. Windows
and HD damaged. Why? Cause shutting down the computer in the evening
was always by pressing the power button for 3 seconds. It worked some
100 times, than it was gone.

There are many good OSes around. I would not say MS is bad. It
depends on what you want. Do you want free and easy, Fedora,
openSUSE, PC-BSD is what you want. Do you want free and high secure
its openBSD.

By the way. My openBSD box works without crashing for several months
now. My Windows 7 pro too. So...

My 2 cents.

regards

Joerg