Re: rc_scripts

Alessandro Baggi
Nothing, I've also tried to use pkg_scripts="clamd"

It does not work.

There some place where I can find some logs error? In /var/log I don't
see nothing.

On 09/24/2011 05:21 PM, William Yodlowsky wrote:

> On 24 September 2011 at 17:23, Alessandro Baggi<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I've put in my rc.conf.local, at the end of the file, this:
>>
>> rc_scripts="clamd"
>>
>> but it does not work.
> The variable was renamed to pkg_scripts so try this in rc.conf.local
> instead:
>
> pkg_scripts="clamd"
>
> The system's manpage of rc.d(8) should say at the top of the page which
> the correct one is.

Re: rc_scripts

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Alessandro Baggi
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nothing, I've also tried to use pkg_scripts="clamd"
>
> It does not work.
>
> There some place where I can find some logs error? In /var/log I don't see
> nothing.

There was in man rc.d this:

RC_DEBUG  Setting this variable will print the function names as they are
              called and prevent the rc.subr(8) framework from redirecting
              stdin and stderr to /dev/null.  This is used to allow debugging
              of failed actions.

but not sure where it gone. Can't see that in current/4.9

> On 09/24/2011 05:21 PM, William Yodlowsky wrote:
>>
>> On 24 September 2011 at 17:23, Alessandro
>> Baggi<[hidden email]> B wrote:
>>
>>> I've put in my rc.conf.local, at the end of the file, this:
>>>
>>> rc_scripts="clamd"
>>>
>>> but it does not work.
>>
>> The variable was renamed to pkg_scripts so try this in rc.conf.local
>> instead:
>>
>> pkg_scripts="clamd"
>>
>> The system's manpage of rc.d(8) should say at the top of the page which
>> the correct one is.

Re: rc_scripts

Vijay Sankar
Can you do a

sysctl kern.version

and send that to the list? May be that will help pinpoint your issue.
I can confirm that rc_scripts work for me (and pkg_scripts do not) on
4.9 AMD64 from the CD Release.

Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:

> Nothing, I've also tried to use pkg_scripts="clamd"
>
> It does not work.
>
> There some place where I can find some logs error? In /var/log I
> don't see nothing.
>

> On 09/24/2011 05:21 PM, William Yodlowsky wrote:
>> On 24 September 2011 at 17:23, Alessandro
>> Baggi<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> I've put in my rc.conf.local, at the end of the file, this:
>>>
>>> rc_scripts="clamd"
>>>
>>> but it does not work.
>> The variable was renamed to pkg_scripts so try this in rc.conf.local
>> instead:
>>
>> pkg_scripts="clamd"
>>
>> The system's manpage of rc.d(8) should say at the top of the page which
>> the correct one is.

Vijay Sankar
ForeTell Technologies Limited
[hidden email]
204.885.9535

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.7

Re: rc_scripts

Ingo Schwarze

Tomas Bodzar wrote on Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 06:53:00PM +0200:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

>> There some place where I can find some logs error?
>> In /var/log I don't see nothing.

> There was in man rc.d this:
>
> RC_DEBUG  Setting this variable will print the function names as they are
>           called and prevent the rc.subr(8) framework from redirecting
>           stdin and stderr to /dev/null.  This is used to allow debugging
>           of failed actions.

That's for debugging the rc.d(8) scripts, not for debugging rc(8) itself,
which would be required in case of errors in rc.conf.local(8).

> but not sure where it gone. Can't see that in current/4.9

In 4.9, RC_DEBUG was not yet implemented, robert@ committed it on March 17.
In -current, robert@ has replaced it by the rc.d(8) -d option during s2k11.
Yes, rc.subr(8) is being actively developed.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: rc_scripts

Alessandro Baggi
kernel version is:

kern.version=OpenBSD 4.9 (GENERIC.MP) #819: Wed Mar  2 06:57:49 MST 2011
     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

On 09/24/2011 07:15 PM, Vijay Sankar wrote:

> Can you do a
>
> sysctl kern.version
>
> and send that to the list? May be that will help pinpoint your issue.
> I can confirm that rc_scripts work for me (and pkg_scripts do not) on
> 4.9 AMD64 from the CD Release.
>
> Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Nothing, I've also tried to use pkg_scripts="clamd"
>>
>> It does not work.
>>
>> There some place where I can find some logs error? In /var/log I
>> don't see nothing.
>>

>> On 09/24/2011 05:21 PM, William Yodlowsky wrote:

>>> The variable was renamed to pkg_scripts so try this in rc.conf.local
>>> instead:
>>>
>>> pkg_scripts="clamd"
>>>
>>> The system's manpage of rc.d(8) should say at the top of the page which
>>> the correct one is.
>>

> Vijay Sankar
> ForeTell Technologies Limited
> [hidden email]
> 204.885.9535

> This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.7

Re: rc_scripts

Vijay Sankar
Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:

> kernel version is:
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 4.9 (GENERIC.MP) #819: Wed Mar  2 06:57:49 MST 2011
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>

> On 09/24/2011 07:15 PM, Vijay Sankar wrote:
>> Can you do a
>>
>> sysctl kern.version
>>
>> and send that to the list? May be that will help pinpoint your
>> issue. I can confirm that rc_scripts work for me (and pkg_scripts
>> do not) on 4.9 AMD64 from the CD Release.
>>
>> Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Nothing, I've also tried to use pkg_scripts="clamd"
>>>
>>> It does not work.
>>>
>>> There some place where I can find some logs error? In /var/log I
>>> don't see nothing.

I went through my server and noticed that I was doing one thing wrong.
My rc_scripts line included icinga and dovecot but those were not
installed on that server. It was there because of a bad cut/paste from
a -current server. However, clamd and freshclam and others run
properly from rc_scripts.

Is it possible that you are installing packages from the wrong
version? I have done that a couple of times because I copied .profile
files from the wrong server

Is your PKG_PATH set to /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/amd64, for example?

On 09/24/2011 08:35 PM, Vijay Sankar wrote:

> Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:
>
>> kernel version is:
>>
>> kern.version=OpenBSD 4.9 (GENERIC.MP) #819: Wed Mar  2 06:57:49 MST 2011
>>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>>

>> On 09/24/2011 07:15 PM, Vijay Sankar wrote:
>>> Can you do a
>>>
>>> sysctl kern.version
>>>
>>> and send that to the list? May be that will help pinpoint your
>>> issue. I can confirm that rc_scripts work for me (and pkg_scripts do
>>> not) on 4.9 AMD64 from the CD Release.

> I went through my server and noticed that I was doing one thing wrong.
> My rc_scripts line included icinga and dovecot but those were not
> installed on that server. It was there because of a bad cut/paste from
> a -current server. However, clamd and freshclam and others run
> properly from rc_scripts.
>
> Is it possible that you are installing packages from the wrong
> version? I have done that a couple of times because I copied .profile
> files from the wrong server
>
> Is your PKG_PATH set to /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/amd64, for example?

> This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.7

No, I've installed them from ports. It is possible that this is the problem?

Re: rc_scripts

Vijay Sankar
Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:

> On 09/24/2011 08:35 PM, Vijay Sankar wrote:
>> Quoting Alessandro Baggi <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> kernel version is:
>>>
>>> kern.version=OpenBSD 4.9 (GENERIC.MP) #819: Wed Mar  2 06:57:49 MST 2011
>>>    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

>> I went through my server and noticed that I was doing one thing
>> wrong. My rc_scripts line included icinga and dovecot but those
>> were not installed on that server. It was there because of a bad
>> cut/paste from a -current server. However, clamd and freshclam and
>> others run properly from rc_scripts.
>>
>> Is it possible that you are installing packages from the wrong
>> version? I have done that a couple of times because I copied
>> .profile files from the wrong server
>>
>> Is your PKG_PATH set to /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/amd64, for example?

>> This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.7
>>

> No, I've installed them from ports. It is possible that this is the problem?

It is possible, especially if you downloaded ports with CVS and the
stuff you downloaded was not exactly what is in the CD or at the ftp
site -- Over the years, I have seen many instances where the
developers have repeatedly advised everyone to never mix versions even
if sometimes the stuff does work.

May be a solution would be to set up your PKG_PATH so that you get
4.9/packages/amd64/ and then report back?

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.7

Re: rc_scripts

Remco-2
Vijay Sankar wrote:

> Is it possible that you are installing packages from the wrong
> version? I have done that a couple of times because I copied .profile
> files from the wrong server
>
> Is your PKG_PATH set to /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/amd64, for example?

To avoid release/architecture mixups you could use something
like "/pub/OpenBSD/`uname -r`/packages/`uname -m`/".

I haven't got a CURRENT system available right know but I reckon `uname -r`
could also be used to conditionally set package path
to  "/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/`uname -m`/" when running a
non-release version.

Re: rc_scripts

Ingo Schwarze
Hi,

Remco wrote on Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 08:28:10AM +0200:

> To avoid release/architecture mixups you could use something
> like "/pub/OpenBSD/`uname -r`/packages/`uname -m`/".

That sounds like terrible advice:

  $ sysctl kern.version
  kern.version=OpenBSD 5.0-current (GENERIC) #7: Wed Sep 21 23:55:26 CEST 2011
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
  $ uname -r
  5.0

> I haven't got a CURRENT system available right know

Checking the accuracy of advice before providing it
is often useful.

Besides, i'd advise against too much magic.
Following that usually gives you less bugs
and systems that are easier to understand,
i.e. two of the typical virtues of OpenBSD systems.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: rc_scripts

phessler
On 2011 Sep 25 (Sun) at 08:28:10 +0200 (+0200), Remco wrote:
:Vijay Sankar wrote:
:
:> Is it possible that you are installing packages from the wrong
:> version? I have done that a couple of times because I copied .profile
:> files from the wrong server
:>
:> Is your PKG_PATH set to /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/amd64, for example?
:>
:
:To avoid release/architecture mixups you could use something
:like "/pub/OpenBSD/`uname -r`/packages/`uname -m`/".
:
:I haven't got a CURRENT system available right know but I reckon `uname -r`
:could also be used to conditionally set package path
:to  "/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/`uname -m`/" when running a
:non-release version.
:

I use the following on all of my boxes.

export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.eu.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/`arch -s`/

The advantage of arch -s, is that it chooses the application arch, not
just the kernel arch.  Very important on ppc, arm, mips, etc
architectures.  On those systems, uname -m gives me the wrong value.

$ uname -m
loongson
$ arch -s
mips64el

--
You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat with knitting
needles.