Re: openbsd web site design proposals (from HOTO write bad docs)]

Re: openbsd web site design proposals (from HOTO write bad docs)]

Jonathan Glaschke-2
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:07:02PM -0500, Jeremy David wrote:

> On 11/28/05, Jonathan Glaschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 08:15:00AM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> > > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:29:43 -0500, Jeremy David
> > > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > And that's exactly the problem.
> >
> > Creating good html code means to me to look at the stardards released by
> > w3.org and then start coding. The result validates but it won't
> > look the same anywhere. So, you have to fight <div>-wars and do things
> > that aren't required by w3.org just to make things run.
> >
> > At that point one can see that the web is just broken. Good HTML is
> > _not_ decided by browser, _not_ decided by your screen resolution, _not_
> > even decided by whether you use a computer or a toaster, it's just
> > platform independend html.
> >
> > So please keep things as they are, there is no better solution.
>
> Hi. I appreciate your opinion, Jonathan, but I have to strongly
> disagree. It is a point of fact that there are better solutions. I
> implement better solutions all the time - solutions that work in every
> browser and can be depended upon to not break in the future, or on
> someone's computer that you hadn't considered, due to hacks that were
> stuck in the HTML code to hastily cover up some issue with a band-aid
> in the short-term.
>
> The web is not broken just because there are some buggy clients out
> there. The bugs can be worked around without releasing invalid hacks
> into the wild. I do it all the time. and it's not because I'm some
> computer genius. It's possible for openbsd.org to do it too.
>
> - Jeremy

But thats the point, you do it because of browsers. What browsers? There
are no browsers in HTML, it's browser independend. But life shows that
it isn't. Thats where the dirtyness starts.

Clear, you can keep your sites valid and have a good result in most
(every?) browser but i really dont like the discussion about
writting html that fits a browser, it has to fix only what w3.org says.

I know thats not the way things work, thats only how things should work,
but thats my reason for not to like this html/xhtml/css staff.

Content matters! Next to me is one pound instant ice tee. It's ugly
packaged, it has an ugly and outfashioned corparate logo. But I still
like it's content, because it tastes well.

It's the same with the content of openbsd.org, and because i like the
content, i don't want to miss the rest.
And hey, out design isnt that bad, its just out of fashion.
And it is very functional!

Jonathan